New Member Introductions New here? Introduce yourself to the 6SpeedOnline Community and show us your ride!

Accept No Substitute

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 08:11 AM
Car32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Accept No Substitute

I've wanted a Porsche since the early 1980s and some of my well-heeled friends were picking up slightly used 914s. Now, 35 years later, I'm finally ... still not getting a Porsche. With two kids in high school and 4 family vehicles and a 3-car garage, I'll have to wait another 4 or 5 more years!

In the meantime, I'll hang out here and lurk and learn all I can about Porsches and, in the next half-decade, I'll buy the one I want. One of you is breaking in my ideal Porsche right now, so thanks for your dedicated attention to my future Porscheness.

Thank you for selecting a Macadamia 911 Carrera S 2wd in the 2005-2010 vintage with tan interior and a 6-speed. Thank you for maintaining my future vehicle and for dealing with the IMS issue (unless you're keeping my '09-'10 in good stead for me). If you picked a green model, I understand and I'll take it off your hands when we're both ready.

In the meantime, I'll be driving my "dad car." It's got a six-speed and a water-cooled boxer engine. The moonroof in it opens more than a 2002 Targa's does. Its power-to-weight ratio is roughly half of the car you're saving for me but I still have managed to get a ticket in it.

About the title of this intro: last year, I was aching to get a Porsche but it wasn't practical for me to do so and I bought a decent 1999 Miata. It had had some mods done and had potential for big brakes, a turbo, fat tires, etc. I was trying to build a Porsche substitute. I realized that, for about $25,000 I could have built a 160,000-mile car that would perform about as well as a 911 with 60,000 miles. But, a Porsche it would not be.

I once built a 1988 Volvo turbo wagon with over 300 HP to the wheels with lowered suspension and wide, sticky tires. Leather upholstery, 5-speed manny tranny kleptoed from a BMW and made to work with a custom bellhousing and Spec clutch. Still, not a Porsche.

Then, there was the mid-engine rat rod built with a 1937 Chevy frame and Ford running gear and Jaguar independent rear end. Almost? a Porsche? Just kidding.

Over the years, I've absolutely spent twice what a decent, 10-year-old 911 would have cost. Time to cool the jets, let the wife have a new car, work on my kids' vehicles and let the savings account accumulate to the point where the Carrera is not a strain to buy.

That 911 you're maintaining for me? Seal Grey would be okay, too, but, please, please, tan or brown interior.

Thanks (5 years) in advance.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:01 AM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to 6Speed! The wait will be worth it. Keep your eyes open because there are a lot of great ones on the market and maybe one will pop up at the right time for you.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 06-29-2017, 10:58 AM
Autolist is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome to the community. Patience is key to finding the car you're looking for (nothing wrrong with that). Good luck with your searching.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.