6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/new-member-introductions-183/)
-   -   New Ohio Cayenne owner with a WTF Engine sound (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/new-member-introductions/430579-new-ohio-cayenne-owner-wtf-engine-sound.html)

Elijah Turner 04-15-2019 08:21 PM

New Ohio Cayenne owner with a WTF Engine sound

Im in the USAF stationed in Dayton, Ohio and purchased a 2004 Cayenne S from an auction. Yay and the fun began... Really it has been fun because I like to tinker. SO
1.Had no key, which I used paylesscarkeys.com and pretty easy removal of 1. Key Cylinder 2. Kessy and USPS away they received on Friday morning had back in the mail in the afternoon. Got it back with new FOB and 2 cut keys that both work.

2. First Changed Engine Oil & Filter. Second changed Air Intake Filter thanks to Pelican Parts guides and purchased the Durametric Tool.

3. Cleaned the ish out of this thing Engine bay and interior also siphoned out old gas.

4. Got new gas in after Durametric scan showed no faults that made me worry starting would be detrimental.

5. Started her up and.... OH BOY...

Sounds pretty rough, I am pretty sure about a exhaust leak, however I'm new to issues with spark plugs and after reading around I should probably change them out too.
Other than that not sure what else would cause my Cayenne to sound like someone stuck a turd in the engine?

6. The Battery negative cable needed a new ground location because the bolt had been ripped out, I made a new one but I'm not sold on it just yet.

7. Oh and the Radio was missing and clearly it was rigged with an aftermarket. There was a capacitor in the trunk and wiring going to the Bose subwoofer. Radio stuff I'm fine with I have re-wired a few of my other vehicles. Just need to find out what PCM info/stuff I would be missing out on if I dont go with a few of the aftermarket head units I have read about in the forums.

Thats what I got... Any ideas? I have been reading all the most viewed posts and saved a lot of info from here, Renntech and Pelican Parts cuz well pictures today so tomorrow is going to be another day to play.

jdbretz 05-16-2019 01:24 PM

That sounds like valve lifter noise. How did the oil look when you changed it? Any signs of sludge? Are you able to pull up the oil pressure reading?

Elijah Turner 05-17-2019 06:17 AM

The oil looked okay, no sludge. I have a durametric and have had issues getting it to connect and read out some of the options. This car has some definite issues, missing fuses, blown fuses piggy-backed with good fuses, the negative battery cable ground point (bolt thing) on the floor in front of the drivers seat was ripped out I had to make a grounding point like I have done when wiring amps, not to happy with it though. I had it looked at locally and it runs and drives now but I am probably going to part it out and work on a my other 05 Cayenne S that is in much better condition. In the mean time though I am going to tinker with this one and once I get the electrical systems straightened out and durametric connected I will check the oil pressure reading.

Pug 06-05-2019 07:41 AM

If you can’t figure it out Joe and Pete are great guys at Augustine Automotive in Beavercreek Ohio, they have done all the work to my 911 that was out of my realm. They are honest and fair.