Nissan GTR Forum for the R32, R33, R34 and R35 "Godzilla"

My life with the GT-R aka My expensive test drive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 03:57 PM
DADDY is infamous around these partsDADDY is infamous around these parts
My Daily driver is a mild modded M3 6-Speed. Straight pipe, air filter, BBK, and mild tuning. My GTR now sits in my garage next to my beloved Scuderia (Full Novitech Force Induction upgrade), my daily driver M3, my wife's M5, and our family X6M. Soon there will be a new addition to our garage where I've already put together a list of mods that is going to be completed at UGR (Underground Racing). My Wife absolutely loves the M5 and X6 M's seats because of her lower back injury. They are so comfy I can easily fall asleep in it while I am driving. It took a while for me to get used to getting my *** warmed up while I am driving.

One of the reply in another thread implied that I am imagining things. So be it. I do not have to prove to the entire world that my build is, or capable of achieving record breaking time. I do not own a tuning shop nor do I manufacture performance parts. I have no need to build and rape a fine masterpiece and later sell it to recuperate the money I put into the project. Showcasing my project that I spent nearly two years on it is pointless nor have the time to haul her around, over boosting her to win trophies (almost like a pimp and ho relationship). What I have dropped in it is insane (250K+ 95K for the GTR) but it is really worth every penny. Bored and stroked 4.2L mated with Full Dodson Ultimate transmission build and plus a list of mods that is four pages long is more than capable of breaking records. It took a lot of talented people and shops in the making and you know who you are (tipping my hat). I can easily picked up a LP-670 but not my cup of tea. I am not so worried about my department or extremities from waist down. I have a super hot wife, a lovely baby boy, and a comfortable home. Blowing away 99.9 percent of the cars out there on the track or street is pretty rare.

The OP is right pointing out the cons in the Nissan GTR. If you are looking for comfort and street performance you should look into the Porsche Panamera or the Maserati Quattroporte. If you want a performance car in the 2 sec club, or setting records at the local track the Nissan GTR is definitely not the car for you.

Last edited by DADDY; 06-10-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:57 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DADDY
My Daily driver is a mild modded M3 6-Speed.

The OP is right pointing out the cons in the Nissan GTR.
I thought I might be right! I'm the OP. Good guess with 4th or 5th car. That is insane, $250k into a GTR. That would put any car into a different class! Including the Porsche Turbo. My simple issue was that the GTR is not a daily and I needed it to be. Few people talk about all the foibles. I came from a 2011 M3 competition. When people talk about the 997 TT's power not coming on until 2500 RPM, they should try an M3, power doesn't come on until 5500! Thing is just a toad around town. Sure, it is a cushy daily, as you suggest, but it was just too boring for me.

I'm not in the same league, I can only have one "exotic"! I need a versatile one and the 997TT has fit the bill. That doesn't detract from the GTR's reasonable cost, being a great mod platform, or its incredible performance. I just wouldn't recommend it as an only car.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:40 AM
Lorenzo.TX is on a distinguished road
Man oh man....u guys really know your stuff! Glad ya'll are sharing. Its always helpful to hear the good and the bad.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by ryem3
I thought I might be right! I'm the OP. Good guess with 4th or 5th car. That is insane, $250k into a GTR. That would put any car into a different class! Including the Porsche Turbo. My simple issue was that the GTR is not a daily and I needed it to be. Few people talk about all the foibles. I came from a 2011 M3 competition. When people talk about the 997 TT's power not coming on until 2500 RPM, they should try an M3, power doesn't come on until 5500! Thing is just a toad around town. Sure, it is a cushy daily, as you suggest, but it was just too boring for me.

I'm not in the same league, I can only have one "exotic"! I need a versatile one and the 997TT has fit the bill. That doesn't detract from the GTR's reasonable cost, being a great mod platform, or its incredible performance. I just wouldn't recommend it as an only car.
Brother I envy you.. The Porsche 997TT is a beauty and I always wanted one. Also the Porsche 997TT is extremely comfortable at any driving condition. I got so fixated on the entire GTR rave and went overboard with modification and upgrades. Now my "Man Fund" is completely depleted. I need to sell my right kidney or left nut for any future modification(s).

I completely understand where you are coming from. Believe me, I am getting the same heat from my wife. Having one or multiple exotics doesn't make us a race car driver or a car enthusiast. I am 100% positive that you knew everything about your car and you enjoy all the technology Porsche has to offer. That is the very reason why I left my M3 N/A with straight piping, intake, KW coilovers, and BBK.

The decision was extremely tough choosing between buying the GTR with minor modification or the new Porsche GT2. I thought I'd be saving money with the GTR and ended up going ***** out on the mods. I've been fascinated with modifying cars ever since I picked up my first wrench in autoshop back in high school. I may not own a brand new Camaro SS back in the days but I had a mean *** Intergra R-type that obliterated every muscle car in my high school back in 95.

My buddy recently bought the new Porsche GT2. The comparison between our cars are night and day. I am not saying that my GTR is better than his GT2 but there are many things on his GT2 I thirst for and him vice versa from my GTR.

My wife also complained that my GTR is a chick magnet and I burst out in laughter. I can not possibly imagine what type of automobile actions I can possibly get from two front all carbon fiber bucket, rear harness bar, with carbon fiber rear seat delete. Like I said in my previous post, even the world's best contortionist would cramp up trying to attempt any of the activities suggested above. Besides, I love my wife and my baby boy D-Rex.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:33 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Great exchange! In the $250k category, I would definitely be after the gt2rs or a McClaren. Friend of mine tried to mod a gt2rs to 1000hp, but found the aftermarket equipment garbage and settled for a tune and exhaust. Like a Vette, traction is the main issue. Amazing car though.

The porsche tt is a great all around gt in stock form. Modded, it can become a beast. I found the gtr just had too many compromises in stock form.

Oh, the last comment is ! Only a wife would make such a comment! As a former gtr owner, I know the gtr is a dick magnet, not a chick magnet!!! IPhone videos, pics while on the highway, was ridiculous!

Last edited by ryem3; 06-11-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:22 AM
gonzales25 is on a distinguished road
Great exchange! In the $250k category, I would definitely be after the gt2rs or a McClaren. Friend of mine tried to mod a gt2rs to 1000hp, but found the aftermarket equipment garbage and settled for a tune and exhaust. Like a Vette, traction is the main issue. Amazing car though.

The porsche tt is a great all around gt in stock form. Modded, it can become a beast. I found the gtr just had too many compromises in stock form.

Oh, the last comment is ! Only a wife would make such a comment! As a former gtr owner, I know the gtr is a dick magnet, not a chick magnet!!! IPhone videos, pics while on the highway, was ridiculous!
Hi I have a question for you.... How did you feel about buying a 2008 since its almost 5 or 6 years old? I am looking at a 2007 Porsche Turbo, I will be trading in my 2011 CTS-V Coupe. I was just concerned about the age factor and for a Porsche Turbo I have to stay 07-08 price range.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:41 AM
Really a question that many people will answer for you in the turbo forum, but I'm happy to provide my view. My car had only 20k miles, so it is hardly old in mileage terms. I would shy away from cars with super low mileage as you pay a huge premium. Cars in this range are available with cpo for piece of mind, although they are quite reliable. The biggest innovations that are missing are ipod audio and bluetooth. aftermarket options here are decent, I have nav tv and Tooki bluetooth. The cars are good value at this age, given they were $140k new. Finding a good one will take time, and they are just not that plentiful. I also stay away from modded cars; I like to know exactly how anything is different from the factory. Frankly, it is much easier to find a used Vette, there are about 10x as many around! Happy hunting!

Old 06-12-2013, 11:56 AM
Ryem, you hit the nail on the head with a hammer with your previous comment. I have more "DUDE(s)" drooling over my GTR than chicks. Nevertheless those are factors that I ignore anyways. The bottom line is, when a true car enthusiast jumps in a car he or she is in it for the drive not for the ride.

As for Gonzales25 you are making a great choice buying a CPO Porsche. Porsche's service is more than reasonable and affordable than most of the exotics out there. Also the warranty is more than generous in comparison to other exotics.

The warranty on my 2010 Scuderia pretty much voided after the Novitech Final Stage upgrade. IMHO the 3 years unlimited miles warranty does absolutely nothing. Complete fluid change would cost any where from $3400-$5200. Being a personable person and I tend to "MAKE" friends with the service adviser and the GM, I get a 25% discount on all the factory maintenance. Believe me, the 25% discount really helps.

The Scuderia will be the second Ferrari I've own so far and the brand is losing its appeal on me. Just when I was about to walk away from the Ferrari brand, my buddy hits me with a surprise. He recently picked up a 2013 or 2014 GTO. Starting 2012, all the Ferrari comes with a 7 year genuine Ferrari maintenance program. This is one of the most daring move I've seen in the automotive industry thus far since the BMW NA's sales went through the roof with their 3 years Ultimate maintenance.

Again I find my self in a predicament.

http://exploreferrari.com/?lp=7yr-se...FeuDQgodXjQAOQ

You got pm.

Last edited by DADDY; 06-12-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:13 PM
Just in case anybody has been shopping for a GTR lately...

Old 08-06-2013, 02:33 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Just in case anybody has been shopping for a GTR lately...
I'd personally wait for the improved and facelifted 2015 - or maybe even the more improved-than-that NISMO edition.

There is absolutely no way I'd purchase a new GT-R right now, unless there was a HELL of a deal.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:50 AM
Crea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the roughCrea is a jewel in the rough
I think the biggest problem with the GTR, especially owning a modded one, every other supercar feels like meh afterwards.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:38 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Crea
I think the biggest problem with the GTR, especially owning a modded one, every other supercar feels like meh afterwards.
Modding certainly changes the equation for virtually any performance car. However I've tracked both a GT-R Black Edition and a new Viper GTS around MRLS and I have to say the Viper was definitely the more visceral, more racecar-like and driver interaction oriented.

Both close enough in price, and under warranty with a wider resale market than a modded car.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:23 PM
All depends on your needs and interest. My original interest was in a daily. I think it could be possible to have something close to a race car for a weekend car. Many cars can fit that bill at a fair price.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:44 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
The GT-R is by far more of a "daily" than the Viper, no doubt.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
The GT-R is by far more of a "daily" than the Viper, no doubt.
If agree with that! But I've never driven Viper, let alone owned one!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My life with the GT-R aka My expensive test drive