An American Car Guy in Europe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 09:30 AM
Bleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond repute
An American Car Guy in Europe

As I mentioned in my last thread, I moved to Europe for a few months. I thought I would use this space to chronicle my experience. should be a nice place for my friends and family to keep up with what I'm doing. I'll add a little write up every week or so, depending on how much I do.

As you know, I'm here for some work on my masters degree. I'm studying at the Swiss Banking Institute in Zürich. Perfect central location For all of the best that Europe has to offer. My #1 priority is travel. #2 is school but I can get a lot of work done on the train.

I'll try to keep this thread organized by using this post as an intro (above) and a table of contents/trip itinerary (below). Generally, I'll spend the weekend traveling and the weekdays at school. I use the term weekend loosely. My wife and I have a life long race to see who can go to the most countries. Until very recently I was ahead by a couple. She just visited a few here in Europe. If you see me point out going to a place she has been, I might SEEM to be rubbing it in a little. Of course I would NEVER do that! *fingers crossed behind his back*

Also, as I work on the time-line and do the planning, I'd love your thoughts on what to do, how to do it, etc. In fact, you may notice something that is impossible, i.e. not available during the dates I state. I'd love to hear about it. I can't plan everything at once, so if you can be helpful, by all means. Thanks!
__________________________________________________ _________

Sept 12-18:
Get established at school, see some of Zürich.

Sept 19-25:
England Part I. Goodwood Revival on the 20th. Looking at flying Ryan-Air and renting a car from Bournemouth to the Goodwood Estate. Not sure yet what else I'll take the time to see. Maybe Bath or the Southern coast has some interesting bits? (England is 1 I haven't been to. This should bring me even with Cecilia)

Sept 26-Oct 2:
School Work

Oct 3-9:
Porsche Museum, Stuttgart. Decided to do the Ring on 4 November. The Ring is very tricky, BTW. I found Ben Lovejoy's site very helpful. A big thanks for Evil Twin passing it on to me.

Oct 10-16:
School Work

Oct 17-23:
England Part II. Doing the Lotus Intensive driving school on the 18th. Probably spend some time in Cambridge.

Oct 24-30:
School Work

Oct 31-Nov 6:
The 4th of November is the full day excursion to the Ring. I'll drive a Clio Cup. Pics and description later in this thread.

Nov 7-13:
School Work

Nov 14-20:
School Work

Nov 21-27:
Wife is coming to visit. Spending a week in Italy.
Nov 28- Dec 4:
Wife is here. Spending sometime in Zurich doing things she likes to do.

Dec 5-11:
Turkey Hungary

Dec 12-18:
Greece. I have a friend in the Greek Army that I did some training with back in the day. Hoping that he and I can take a trip to Thermopylae

Dec 19-21:
Wrap up things in Zürich and fly out on the 21st.

__________________________________________________ _____________
Looks like this plan is about 14 countries I wonder what it ends up at? Lots of blank space right now.

Last edited by Bleu Omdurman; 11-18-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:43 AM
Bleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond reputeBleu Omdurman has a reputation beyond repute
The cars

I thought I would save this space for the cars I see along the way. At elast the ones I can snap a picture of in time.

I've seen so many Porsches I thought I was at a 6speed event again. Mostly black. Seen a Maserati QPort. Also a BMW 6 series of which I snapped a pic.
Pic of Zurich from behind the ISB (Swiss Banking Institute)

One of many BMWs:

Attached Images   

Last edited by Bleu Omdurman; 09-15-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:49 AM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Nice!

Keep the pictures coming...

We are not afraid of "hot euro women pics" either... just in case you were on the fence... please no hairy pits pics though...

Old 09-15-2008, 03:31 PM
With the idea that my mother and wife are watching this space...I might be a little light on the girly pics. But if something interesting happens to be in or around the car, we can just call it a gift to my dear old dad.

BTW, there are 11 Starbucks in Zürich you can see a map of them in the train station. Went out tonight with some friends for my birthday...good times.

I have also stopped counting Porsche's and Maserati's. If you think about the central location to Italy and Germany, the Swiss have got it made!

Old 09-15-2008, 03:34 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PJS
Nice!

Keep the pictures coming...

We are not afraid of "hot euro women pics" either... just in case you were on the fence... please no hairy pits pics though...

pj! you crack me up! i think the ladies shave now a days! lol!

trevor...glad you're doing well over there! thanks for the updates!

Old 09-15-2008, 05:03 PM
atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !atomic80 Is a GOD !
Oh you'd be surprised. Some German women do NOT shave.

I'm envious of you Trevor, getting to spend a lot of time in Europe. I'm surprised to hear that the wife didn't join you!

Old 09-15-2008, 05:24 PM
BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !BoxsterGirlie01 Is a GOD !
dang, that reminds me, i need to shave my legs before i head to XXX tonight. i do this for special occasions. lol! j/k....j/k! and yes, i have some german heritage. lol!

Last edited by BoxsterGirlie01; 09-15-2008 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by atomic80
Oh you'd be surprised. Some German women do NOT shave.

I'm envious of you Trevor, getting to spend a lot of time in Europe. I'm surprised to hear that the wife didn't join you!
Ya, I was too, put in the end, someone has to pay the bills.

Let's just keep our fingers crossed that Goldman Sachs decides to give the few of us in my program jobs long term. Looks like there will be a bunch of talent from Lehman Bros entering the job market. Which sucks for both them and me. The financial markets are high adventure right now.

BTW, I got my tickets to the Goodwood Revival...anybody from here going this year. You still have time to get the tickets. I'm planning on just going Saturday. I'm renting a car, so I'd be happy to help with logistics, since I'm here.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:04 AM
StorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond repute
LOL.

Only 11 Starbucks?!?!? I think that there are six within walking distance of my house. (Actually, now that I put some real though into it, there are 7...)

What ever will you do?

Old 09-16-2008, 12:45 AM
Pics

A picture across the river on the way to my place.

Attached Images  
Old 09-16-2008, 08:50 AM
Eliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond reputeEliseguy has a reputation beyond repute
Wow sounds like a great opportunity to further your career and driving experiences. I'm envious of you. I'm looking forward to reading more about this and stay safe over there. Those swiss sure can be sneaky with their neutrality and all

Old 09-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Yeah! I will RB. I personally hope a little bit of their ability to dress wears off on me a little. Lets not forget, I seldom get my clothes on right side out, let along match!!

I had the first day of classes today and I think I have nailed down about 80% of the classes I'll take.

-Financial Engineering
-Advanced Corporate Finance
-Environmental Finance
-Applied Portfolio Theory
-Statistical and Time-series methods

Right now, that's all. I sat in the "Intro to Mathematical finance and derivatives" lecture today, but I have had a class very similar in the US. This one is basically the derivation of the Theorems behind the application. Interesting, but not nearly as interesting as the inside of the Porsche factory is bound to be! Gotta keep them priorities straight.

I'll put up a pic of the blackboard from that last class I mentioned. Braggin' rights to anybody that can translate into layman's terms.

Good news is, it looks like my classes will be on Tuesday for the most part. I might do a monday after noon and Wednesday morning, but we'll see. That should mean pleanty of sightseeing time. Now I just got to make the funds last.

Keep your fingers crossed that I get that job offer I've been dreaming about...

Ufwiederluege, (Good-bye in Swiss German)

Oh, 12 Porsches today. One of them a Seal Gray 996 Turbo. Two M6's, two Maserati's. You might say that Zurich has a high standard of living.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Bleu Omdurman; 09-16-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:53 AM
BuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant futureBuzzedHornet has a brilliant future
How are American's viewed over there right now. I was there about this time 4 years ago right at election time. There was allot of animosity against the Americans at that time.

I too love Europe. My trips have always been too short and I never get to see everything I want to see. You are sure doing it right! Thank you for using 6Speed for your updates. I look forward to tracking your trip. I have to agree with PJ, great looking cars look even better with great looking women next to them and even better when they shave or keep their arms down =)

Cheers,
Rob (another Bothell guy=) )

Old 09-16-2008, 12:01 PM
Hey Rob, I'll do my best with the ladies. Honestly, it's a little cold so they don't tend to be out too much. Just fat kids with no car like me...

I'll keep an eye out for hot chicks with car though. I'll be at a few indoor events I am sure.

As for the sentiment, I haven't felt anything off yet. Typical looks though when I open my big fat mouth and speak English. I do my best with the High German I know, but that isn't what they use here either. I'll pick it up though.

I'm toying with the Idea of getting on the train tomorrow or Thursday and working my way toward England.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:05 PM
PJS
PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !PJS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bleu Omdurman
Hey Rob, I'll do my best with the ladies.

I'm toying with the Idea of getting on the train tomorrow or Thursday and working my way toward England.
unless you see Sienna Miller -- I think we can all pass on the girl pics from England...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: An American Car Guy in Europe