6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Northwest (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/northwest-87/)
-   -   Lexus LFA requiring "approval" for purchase (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/northwest/198750-lexus-lfa-requiring-approval-purchase.html)

TommyJames 01-18-2010 02:21 PM

Lexus LFA requiring "approval" for purchase

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/18/lexus-lfa-sports-car-befo_n_427187.html

When I first heard that Lexus was going to require an approval process to buy an LFA, I thought it was purely rumor, a joke taken too far, and that Lexus couldn't be that flat stupid, but apparently they are. Never mind that the numbers make no sense- $350k for a car who's performance numbers are as unimpressive as the car's looks. Never mind that Lexus has no experience in the exotic market. Never mind that the brand is synonymous with pillowy sedans and a subtraction and outright insulation of driver feedback (I have an LS460L for that reason). Never mind, they have no brand equity what-so-ever in the exotic arena. Never mind that none of the blogs are a buzz with buyers who can't wait to get theirs. Instead this appears to be a classic case of overblown self-importance and a brand manager who's bowed to the brand god one too many times. Lexus is building a monument to themselves with the hope at least 500 will pray.

I'm guessing internal politics caused Lexus to promote the most zealous sycophant in the company (even though this therapy-deprived individual probably has no exotic experience) to the role of brand manager who's brand-ego is apparently larger than Lexus itself. ALL other exotics have stronger brand value yet, every one of them is thankful to have customers call on them, including Ferrari and even Rolls Royce, but nope, not Lexus. I predict, by the time a tiny bit of reality starts to sink in, they will already have "qualified" every living thing and even then not all 500 will have sold.

Of all the exotic industry blunders over the past 20 years. To me this one tops them all. Good luck Lexus!

CrazyRuskie 01-18-2010 02:27 PM

Although I agree with you of how stupid it is, somehow I think they will sell all 500 cars to "new money" rich who want to show off how exclusive they really are.

TommyJames 01-18-2010 02:33 PM

That's the joke as there is nothing exclusive about the car or the brand. That image has to be earned. You can't just declare it because you're Lexus.

CrazyRuskie 01-18-2010 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by TommyJames (Post 2692822)
That's the joke as there is nothing exclusive about the car or the brand. That image has to be earned. You can't just declare it because you're Lexus.

Exactly, but you know how some people are (eg, most rappers) they buy something based on how "Exclusive" it supposedly is ... like Jacob & Co watches

Eliseguy 01-18-2010 03:32 PM

Why rappers? why not Russian mobsters

TommyJames 01-18-2010 03:35 PM

How can something be exclusive that nobody is likely to want?

CrazyRuskie 01-18-2010 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by TommyJames (Post 2692897)
How can something be exclusive that nobody is likely to want?

LOL. That is a good question. I don't see how anyone can want a Jacob & Co watch, yet all the new rappers have them LOL.

Eliseguy 01-18-2010 05:04 PM

I could've bought a Jacob watch in Qatar. The guy swore it was real and only wanted 80 USD for it.

detailjohn 01-18-2010 05:10 PM

Come on guys, the approval process should be as easy as the screening for a TSA job.

John

Kristian 01-18-2010 05:28 PM

Looks like a nice car. Seems like the price range for a new R35 GT-R would be better but they'll probably sell them anyway. Scarcity is an interesting principle...

TommyJames 01-18-2010 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by detailjohn (Post 2693023)
Come on guys, the approval process should be as easy as the screening for a TSA job.

John

hehehe

TommyJames 01-18-2010 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Kristian (Post 2693050)
Looks like a nice car. Seems like the price range for a new R35 GT-R would be better but they'll probably sell them anyway. Scarcity is an interesting principle...

It doesn't work that way. There are many things that are scarce that have no value. It's a supply/demand issue except in this case Lexus daftly thinks by "selecting" buyers they will create demand? Huh? Even if they used a different business model, I can't think of another car in the same category at the same price with such lame performance numbers that's selling.

BuzzedHornet 01-18-2010 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Eliseguy (Post 2692894)
Why rappers? why not Russian mobsters

because it is MLK day and Crazy wanted to spread the love :D

BuzzedHornet 01-18-2010 07:29 PM

So I assume I will not be parking mine with the "exotics" at E@RTC? =)~

ice350 01-18-2010 07:40 PM

I predict that Lexus will not only lease all 500 cars they will then re-sell them very quickly when they come off lease.
Remember, this is a lease only situation and they will have no problem getting them out the door.