6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Panamera (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/panamera-75/)
-   -   Motortrend Panamera Turbo S (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/panamera/261014-motortrend-panamera-turbo-s.html)

kip 11-23-2011 04:01 PM

Motortrend Panamera Turbo S

https://image.motortrend.com/f/34657...e-quarters.jpg

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1111_2012_porsche_panamera_turbo_s_first_test/

Turbo S

0-60 MPH 3.5 sec QUARTER MILE 11.8 sec @ 118.0 mph

Turbo:

0-60 MPH 3.5 sec QUARTER MILE 11.9 sec @ 114.7 mph

Not the result I was expecting...:o

First Test: 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo S

Not Just Another Dumb S

November 21, 2011 / By Mike Febbo / Photography by Michael Shaffer
I can't print the expletives that were man-screamed during the testing of the last Porsche Panamera Turbo roughly six months ago. Well, I could, but we would get angry letters from people complaining about the vile filth on our website, and if they subscribed to our magazine, they would surely cancel it. From the very first asphalt-twisting all-wheel drive launch, we knew the Panamera Turbo was something special. You can imagine our excitement when we found out we were getting a Panamera Turbo S to test -- we put on crazy hats and busted out the foam fingers. There was even talk of chest paint.
The standard Panamera Turbo is quite the force to be reckoned with straight out of the box. Its 4.8-liter twin-turbo V-8 pushes out 500 horsepower and 516-lb-ft of torque. For the S, Porsche has found another 50 horsepower, but maybe more important, torque jumps up to 553 lb-ft under normal use and gets up to a thumping 590 lb-ft during overboost. While some may argue that these numbers can simply be made with software changes, Porsche doesn't take big performance gains lightly.
Under the hood, the long block remains unchanged. The standard twin-turbo V-8 already uses forged pistons, dry-sump oiling, direct-injection, and Vario-cam variable valve timing. For the S, Porsche has upgraded the turbochargers to increase boost. Not only are the turbos larger, but the compressor wheels are titanium alloy, so Porsche says they will spool up nearly 30-percent faster than the smaller cast aluminum pieces in the standard turbos. Under normal driving conditions, maximum boost pressure for the Turbo S is .85 bar, or about 12.3 psi. During overboost, the turbos are supplying just over 13.5 psi. The standard car upgraded with the sport-chrono package only produces 12.1 psi, and that is during overboost.
With all this in mind, we expected some even bigger numbers than the already shocking stats from the Panamera Turbo. As a refresher, that particular car ran 0-60 mph in 3.5 seconds and blasted through the quarter-mile in 11.9 seconds at 114.7 mph. It also screeched and wailed through our figure-eight test in 24.4 seconds. As a comparison, the Porsche walks by its nearest competitor, the 6.2-liter supercharged Cadillac CTS-V Sport Wagon, which does 0-60 mph in 4.2 seconds and needs 12.5 seconds to get through the quarter-mile at 114.4 mph. We expected even bigger numbers from the more-powerful Turbo S.
After a brief tailgating party, pregame analysis, and taking a knee while Coach Reynolds spoke words of inspiration, it was time to test. With a wall of torque and all-wheel drive, the Panamera is as much about punishing asphalt for being under its tires as it accelerating. Porsche's dual-clutch PDK transmission allows for easy use of launch control that makes 0-60 a fairly foolproof endeavor. Put the car in Drive, press Sport Plus Button, left foot hard on the brake pedal, right foot flooring the throttle, and when the light comes on, release the brake pedal and hold on. The launch is brutal and unfolds in slow motion similar to a nature film of a lioness bringing down a gazelle. The rear end of the car gets torqued down like it's trying to twist itself into the road as the front starts lifting. You wonder if the next-more-powerful version of this thing will need wheelie bars. The front tires start to spin and dance across the asphalt before the power is reigned back in and sent towards the already struggling rear tires. In a half-second-long eternity, the Panamera lunges forward like a 4388-pound artillery shell. The fury of beautiful violence is met with yelling and fist pumping from the peanut gallery of editors behind the wall.
With an absolutely brutal launch, the Turbo S clawed its way to 0-60 mph in 3.5 seconds. Yes, the same exact time we got with the standard Turbo. It might be that Porsche has found the limits of the tires, or there could possibly have been a torque limiter set for the preservation of some mechanical component in the drivetrain. Either way, we just couldn't get a faster run than what we saw from the last Turbo.
In the quarter-mile, things change a little bit. The Turbo S starts to pull on the Turbo at just over 60 mph, but the difference still isn't that noticeable. It isn't until we get to roughly 110 mph that the Turbo S really wakes up and pulls away. At the end, the S runs 11.8 seconds at 118 mph, a tenth of a second quicker and 3.3 mph faster. We can already see the comments: "What's the point of a car that is only faster at speeds you can never reach in the United States?" Well, to be realistic, once you get past the 300-horsepower V-6 Panamera, you are going to need Zen Master levels of self-control to stay on this side of the legality line. So if you can't rationalize the extra $36,500 it'll cost you for the S, this isn't the car for you.
The Turbo S also handles remarkably similar to the Turbo. Both cars can lap our figure eight in 24.4 seconds. Which happens to be exactly the same time a 2011 Carrera GTS ran back in September, and only a half-second behind the test time of a 2010 911 Turbo. Storming around the cones, it has a familiar Porsche sports car feel to it, but with some dramatic dynamic differences. Porsche 911s are traditionally slow-in, fast-out cars. Use the big, powerful brakes and the rear-weight bias to your advantage. Then get into the turn well under control. Once you see your exit, use all that weight out back to put the power down and maximize your speed in the next straight. Rinse and repeat. The Turbo S can be driven the exact same way. Use those giant carbon-ceramic brakes to slow the car, then turn in and start changing direction.
Here is where things change from a 911. A split-second after that initial turn-in, you get a choice. The car asks how you want to play it. You can roll into the gas smoothly and get all that torque to the ground, really getting the most out of all four tires and shooting out of turn with the power and precision of a round from a rail gun. The other option is quickly and ruthlessly pinning the throttle, getting all that torque at once to the rear tires, breaking them loose and letting the back end run wider than the front. With fast hands and a deft foot, a four-wheel drift that will make a proud WRC fan weep will get you out of the turn with more style than speed. Porsche's stability management, PSM, will catch the car if your hands aren't as fast your cool Puma driving shoes would have people believe.
Our Panamera Turbo S test car rang the register to the tune of $194,665. At this end of the spectrum, nothing else really fits as a competitor. Sure, you could get an Aston Martin Rapide, but it won't compare in performance. You could buy a CTS-V wagon and spend the leftover $120,000 trying to add the performance, comfort, and luxury. You could spend $36,500 less and buy a standard Panamera Turbo, but what's 35 grand when we are just a shake off of $200,000? If you really are looking for the fastest five-door-hatchback-pseudo-station-wagon on the planet, just buy the Panamera. If you can afford it, you will never regret buying the S.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1111_2012_porsche_panamera_turbo_s_first_test/#ixzz1eZaRKtM3

2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo S BASE PRICE $174,175 PRICE AS TESTED $194,665 VEHICLE LAYOUT Front engine, AWD, 4-pass, 4-door sedan ENGINE 4.8L/550-hp/553-lb-ft* twin-turbo DOHC 32-valve V-8 TRANSMISSION 7-speed twin-clutch auto. CURB WEIGHT (F/R DIST) 4388 lb (54/46%) WHEELBASE 114.9 in LENGTH x WIDTH x HEIGHT 195.6 x 76.0 x 55.8 in 0-60 MPH 3.5 sec QUARTER MILE 11.8 sec @ 118.0 mph BRAKING, 60-0 MPH 105 ft LATERAL ACCELERATION 1.00 g (avg) MT FIGURE EIGHT 24.4 sec @ 0.82 g (avg) EPA CITY/HWY FUEL ECON 15/23 mpg ENERGY CONSUMPTION, CITY/HWY 225/147 kW-hrs/100 miles CO2 EMISSIONS 1.09 lb/mile *590-lb-ft with overboost
Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1111_2012_porsche_panamera_turbo_s_first_test/#ixzz1eZaZNf3O

NinetyOneC2 11-26-2011 08:59 PM

It's only 50 hp in a 2.5 ton car...what were you expecting?

kip 11-27-2011 01:50 AM

The M5 gains only 5hp from the x5m with extensive engine changes. Everyone knows there is more. In the ptts, they changed engine management, turbo rotors, engine and brake cooling. Do you really think all that for 50hp? Trust me, the difference is more.

NinetyOneC2 11-27-2011 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by kip (Post 3383254)
The M5 gains only 5hp from the x5m with extensive engine changes. Everyone knows there is more. In the ptts, they changed engine management, turbo rotors, engine and brake cooling. Do you really think all that for 50hp? Trust me, the difference is more.

I'm driving one right now and it doesn't feel any quicker than a Panamera Turbo to me...

kip 11-27-2011 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2 (Post 3383311)
I'm driving one right now and it doesn't feel any quicker than a Panamera Turbo to me...

Ok, I have no experience with the regular turbo. I have the powerkit turbo. Some members have said there is a BIG difference. Some mags have gotten aabout 2-3 seconds quicker to 200km/h. The biggest difference however should be how quick the turbos engage = virtually no turbo lag.

rvhpno80 11-30-2011 01:58 PM

i guess its more so being about exclusive....

ciaka 02-05-2019 06:58 AM

these numbers are conservative numbers. I have seen many turbos getitng 0-60 in 3.2s. Turbo S scratching 3.0s, and it is dependant on understanding of car powre band, shift points, driver.
That is without mods too - fully stock cars.
It is expensive to make these cars quicker than that, because expense per HP at this place of performance increases exponentially, it not linear.

Deezflip 02-05-2019 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by ciaka (Post 4764525)
these numbers are conservative numbers. I have seen many turbos getitng 0-60 in 3.2s. Turbo S scratching 3.0s, and it is dependant on understanding of car powre band, shift points, driver.
That is without mods too - fully stock cars.
It is expensive to make these cars quicker than that, because expense per HP at this place of performance increases exponentially, it not linear.

I was seeing the same, not many, but a few claims online....but I sure do hope so! There are some claiming to be the Turbo S or labeled as Turbo S, but when you look closer...it's actually the Non-S Turbo with the powerkit. I just can't find enough info on the Turbo S

12PTTSGrey 02-16-2019 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Deezflip (Post 4764532)
I was seeing the same, not many, but a few claims online....but I sure do hope so! There are some claiming to be the Turbo S or labeled as Turbo S, but when you look closer...it's actually the Non-S Turbo with the powerkit. I just can't find enough info on the Turbo S

What kind of info are you looking for on the Turbo S? Quarter mile?

Deezflip 02-17-2019 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by 12PTTSGrey (Post 4766597)
What kind of info are you looking for on the Turbo S? Quarter mile?

Sure yes, have you ran yours?...actually just saw your vid that you posted, but yours is tuned?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...5de1a1a5a0.png

12PTTSGrey 02-18-2019 08:32 AM

Yes, it is tuned, now. On a prepped surface, like a dragway, it will be about .2 seconds faster so I expect about 11.2 or so. When it was stock, at about 3,000 DA, it would run 11.8@118 MPH at the track. When I was down in Florida, at sea level, with my old car, it was a good .4 seconds faster in the good air versus where I am (that was a supercharged car - so forced induction). When the magazines test the cars, I do not often see anything cited like temperature or calculated DA (density altitude). That latter part can make a big difference.

Paul Rathjen 03-01-2019 09:58 PM

The bigger benifit with the Turbo S is getting all of the active handling, PVT, PASM, PDCC, turbo kit and sport Chrono without having to search though 257 option packages and numbers!! The active handling systems for me are what this car is about and they absolutely make more difference than the HP. It’s very hard to find base turbos with all of those options... Those systems are what pulled me out of an RS7 which is smooth and powerful but doesn’t control and use it near as well as the Panamera does.

After the recall the special lightweight turbos are gone because their failed. I believe there are still some slight differences in the turbo set up but I’ve read mixed things. The Panamera Turbo has more lag than an RS7 but I can compare to a base turbo.

They typically come more loaded as well and yes you get the S badge and a bit more power on the upper end. The S is considerably more rare and holds better resale. The S is going to pull on a base turbo hard, the faster you go. It’s not THAT much faster though no.

People get way too caught up, myself included, on 1-2 10th of bragging rights and there are a lot more important things to a car than 0-60 times. Once you’re splitting hairs at 10ths between car brands and options...

I mean it’s not like you’re going around doing launch control at every other stop light...