Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo hesitation/surging/bucking - HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 07:35 AM
pgeoph is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear it. One other item I ran across with mine was the variable cam advance. I thought performance was off but we couldn't find anything wrong until I started getting intermittent fault codes from the cam position sensor. When I finally got the service manager to open up the valve covers the tech said the nuts had completely backed off the bolts and were laying in the heads. Was told it was a common problem on the 997's and there was a campaign to fix them. They had never seen it on a 970 before. Once fixed the low end grunt was back in abundance!

Old 03-07-2014, 06:28 AM
wem
wem is a jewel in the roughwem is a jewel in the roughwem is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by teutonic GT2
No. Porsche says it's normal.
I think it's awful.

I would still welcome an opportunity for someone with a PTT in the NYC or CT area to drive my car.
I live in Fairfield County, CT. Let me know if you want to meet up somewhere this weekend. I'll bring my PTT.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:50 PM
iglambo is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by wem
I live in Fairfield County, CT. Let me know if you want to meet up somewhere this weekend. I'll bring my PTT.
Did you experience the same issue as we all do?

Old 03-07-2014, 03:30 PM
wem
wem is a jewel in the roughwem is a jewel in the roughwem is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by iglambo
Did you experience the same issue as we all do?
The short answer is no I have not experienced the problems mentioned in the thread. I have about 32k miles on the car. It is my DD. The only hesitation that I experience is a very slight lag in non-Sport mode upon initial acceleration which I attribute to slight turbo lag combined with the car starting in 2nd gear. When I'm in Sport or Sport Plus it is non existent. I have not experienced any bucking in 4th or 5th gear. The PDK is seamless unless I activate launch control and feel the slamming from gear to gear which I was told by the service department was normal.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:34 AM
Originally Posted by wem
The short answer is no I have not experienced the problems mentioned in the thread. I have about 32k miles on the car. It is my DD. The only hesitation that I experience is a very slight lag in non-Sport mode upon initial acceleration which I attribute to slight turbo lag combined with the car starting in 2nd gear. When I'm in Sport or Sport Plus it is non existent. I have not experienced any bucking in 4th or 5th gear. The PDK is seamless unless I activate launch control and feel the slamming from gear to gear which I was told by the service department was normal.
Please try with following sequence and tell whats up then:
1. Sport mode activated
2. Manual gear select at 4th gear
3. Apply 50-60% throttle at about 2000rpm until 3000rpm.
If the car is smooth then its ok. If you feel some kind of shaking or hesitation at 2500rpm-2700rpm then its like ours.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:38 AM
wem
Originally Posted by iglambo
Please try with following sequence and tell whats up then:
1. Sport mode activated
2. Manual gear select at 4th gear
3. Apply 50-60% throttle at about 2000rpm until 3000rpm.
If the car is smooth then its ok. If you feel some kind of shaking or hesitation at 2500rpm-2700rpm then its like ours.
As per your request, I tried it this morning (I also tried it in 5th gear). No shaking or hesitation was present. Last year the engine was running a bit rough. I thought it was a bad coil. It turned out to be a faulty fuel pump. Other than that I have not had any problems with the engine.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:22 PM
Any updates, anyone?

Old 02-27-2018, 11:00 AM
Gilligan is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok, 4 years later l have the same issue with my 11PTT. TeutonicGT3- did you ever resolve the surging, missing, bucking? Or did you sell it and I bought it.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:51 AM
pgeoph is on a distinguished road
In my case it was a an intercooler hose that had come off. It would be OK if you were just driving at low rpm but if you built any boost it leaked off and the ECU got its calculations all wrong so it wouldn't run worth a damn. Once we solved that it was fine! I also had the cam sensor bolt issue. I see that PCNA have issues a recall on those now. Ultimately I traded it in on a 958TTS so I could mount a proper bike rack in the hitch receiver.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:27 AM
Kthanks. I'll put that on the check list. I did have the cam bolt recall performed

Old 05-29-2018, 09:09 PM
Moby is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes! Hesitation/jerking in hard acceleration in 4th gear

Originally Posted by teutonic GT2
Fellow Turbo owners please comment.

Put your car in manual 4th gear and accelerate (preferably up an incline in road) starting at about 2k rpm until about 3k rpm.

Do you feel any jerking or is it smooth?
Yes!! This is an old thread, but hopefully someone has posted a solution. Please let me know, thanks!

Old 05-30-2018, 12:21 AM
I've taken mine to two dealers and both said it "is functioning as it should". Baloney. Everything Teutonic gt2 said is happening to my PTT I'm looking to trade for a tesla. Tired of it.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:59 AM
Ok one more try I bought the diverter valves. We'll see how that goes

Old 06-01-2018, 03:55 PM
skiracer13 is on a distinguished road
No such issues at all w/ my 2010 PTT. Stock except for IPD plenum and VR tune. Pulls like a freight train w/ no hesitation at all across rpm range.

Old 06-02-2018, 12:38 PM
RSogi is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Moby
Yes!! This is an old thread, but hopefully someone has posted a solution. Please let me know, thanks!
Hi
I had this problem with my car PTT 2010.
It is fuel system related problem and it was bad HPFP.
(high pressure fuel pump)
My symptoms:
No CEL or fault codes.
2k engine speed, manual gear 4th or 5th, WOT
Full throttle and the car is not drivable. There is no slow smooth acceleration, there is shaking and jerking.

with new HPFP now I have slow smooth acceleration from 2k with 4th or 5th gear in WOT.
Thanks

Last edited by RSogi; 06-02-2018 at 01:48 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo hesitation/surging/bucking - HELP