Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shall I switch from 911 to Panamera? What do you think?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 08:25 PM
jeopardy is on a distinguished road
Shall I switch from 911 to Panamera? What do you think?

Hi and thanks for your time.
I currently own a 2009 Carrera S (997.2), I like the car but I have to admit as days pays I notice more and more that it can't be my only car. I also recently got engaged and I definitely need a bigger car. I can't afford keeping the 911 and buying another car (I wish I could). To cut the story short, I am being offered a 2011 Panamera Turbo (Porsche certified preowned) with 17,000 km on it, it is all black with marsala red leather interior. I test drove the car and loved it, I have to admit it is a very fast car too.
However, I am still hesitant. Money aside, would I regret exchanging the 911 to Panamera? The Panamera just recently got a facelift, is it not a wise move to buy the pre-face lift version (I can't afford the latest turbo though). Shall I consider another car (I don't like the Cayenne so that's why I didn't consider it)? Also what are your opinions on the Panamera when it comes to space? Any advice from you guys will really help me is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:53 PM
Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !
Subscribed

Old 12-31-2013, 10:49 PM
997BLIS is on a distinguished road
The pani is a very different car. I didn't like it until I got to drive the GTS variant at a track. Great car, lots of power, great handling, and yes it feels heavier. But it comes down to personal preference. If you need a four seater, go pani, if not, stay 911. I'm a purist, so I can't give up the 911.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:09 PM
rjsidhu.22 is on a distinguished road
The Panamera IMO is one of the best all around vehicles on the road. Mixing a sedan, sports car, suv & wagon. If i could have 1 car and only 1, It would be a Panamera Turbo.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:06 PM
cole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of light
I have only one car, and its a Panny GTS....simply love it. Comfy when I want elegance... sporty when feeling frisky on way home from office.... animalistic on the weekends. It just does everything right

Old 01-01-2014, 03:19 PM
Leslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the roughLeslierc is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by rjsidhu.22
The Panamera IMO is one of the best all around vehicles on the road. Mixing a sedan, sports car, suv & wagon. If i could have 1 car and only 1, It would be a Panamera Turbo.
What he said!

My dealer has made a few overtures to get me to trade my 4S and I'm not budging. However...I have my sights on a 991 S or 4S when the lease on my Boxster S is finished.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:47 PM
tanman will become famous soon enough
The Panamera S and the new 991 have the a very similar feel behind the wheel. If you can only have one car, then the P is more versatile than the 991. Having both makes for a nice problem.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:53 PM
carsnob is on a distinguished road
I gave up 10 years of driving a 911 cab for a 2010 panny 4S. It's a change for sure but it's all good. You can drive it aggressively as you would a 911 or relaxing in comfort. It's bigger and heavier for sure, but will handle great. The Turbo used would be a great purchase with such low mileage. As for the facelift, no big deal, don't even think about that.... go for it.
Worst case scenario, in a few years you can buy a used 991 and upgrade you old 911 if you miss it that much.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:59 PM
kw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud ofkw911TT has much to be proud of
I have one of each model and switch car daily between them, there is no substitute for each model. Porsche does a good job in making each model different enough. Ultimately, Panamera is a sedan and drive like one, much more comfortable, quieter, heavier than the 911. I don't know how much you really push the car or your training, the Panamera as amazing as it is with PDCC+PTV and PCCB, it is no where close to the 911 in direct response and control feel. Panamera Turbo is great for DD purpose, it has a jackal & hyde personality. So civialize until you push the sport button and stomp on the gas

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by kw911TT; 01-02-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:57 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I can't ever phathom making this type of switch for myself . I view a sedan or an SUV as a practical vehicle and a 911 is a peformance vehicle . Now just as a 911 has some decent comfort amenities and the Panamera has many sport features I can't see fusing these together into picking one car .

My opinion - I'd keep my 911 and buy a V6 Cayenne .That equals the price of one pany Turbo . In fact that is what I did and even though my 911 Turbo has only 15K miles on it in 7 years and my Cayenne has 25K in less than 2 I prefer separating a rational vehicle from a performance toy. Sometimes I consider buying a Cayenne Turbo S and every time I jump back into saving that price difference and dd gas consumption towards my next 911 or other performance choice .

The Pany turbo is a nice car - but is not a 911 .
If I had a Pany turbo I would miss the 911 but never the visa versa .

Old 01-01-2014, 10:16 PM
BOOMER7 is on a distinguished road
I enjoy my PANNY TURBO more overall than i did my 911 turbo S 996. Facelift was just a very minor change.
The refinement and creature comforts is just much better in the PANNY and overall performance is almost identical. The panamera when done up right is one of the more exotic looking cars in the market place as well.
best of luck…. both great choices

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0897_zpsa47ab92d.jpg
Views:	2494
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	316554  

Last edited by BOOMER7; 01-01-2014 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:38 AM
MrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud of
I might be in the minority on this but I have a 2010 Panamera 4S which I picked up (it is the car in AWE's exhaust videos) at half of what it stickered for. It is my 40th Porsche and though number 39 is a one of a kind 997S (with only for few original parts the dealer now refers to it as a kit car) I do not think the Panamera is a 4 door 911. It is big (started to notice of narrow the lines are in some parking areas after getting this car), really wide, heavy, and does not have the feel of a 911. I have driven almost every variation of the Panamera and it is the best 4 door sport sedan you can buy, but it is still a sedan not a sports car. So without knowing what aspects of the 911 you like, it would hard to give you advise. Good luck

Old 01-02-2014, 12:13 PM
echristie is on a distinguished road
My father just traded his 06 911 in on a new 2014 panamera and loves it. After riding in it a couple of time, I just traded my AMG E55 on a new one as well. Absolutely love it. Just trying to get over 2000 break in miles to let her loose.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:58 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by kw911TT
I have one of each model and switch car daily between them, there is no substitute for each model.

Bingo.

Beware that the trunk space of Panamera is quite limited. Otherwise, it is a very good all-rounder.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:46 PM
jeopardy is on a distinguished road
Thank you very much

Thank you all a lot for your time and valuable replies. Sorry I had no access to the internet for the past 2 days.

I like that overall all of you recommended the Panamera. I am still very confused to be honest. Probably because I still love my Carrera S. I drove it today all day long and was enjoying every single bit of it. The power, the response, the engine sound, etc. When I drove the Panamera Turbo, I loved it too but I missed so many things from the 911 instantly, one of them is the engine sound. Even when I switched on the sports exhaust in the Panamera it wasn't that loud..

However, as I previously said, for the time being I can only afford having one car. So most probably I might switch to the turbo. Or probably wait till the summer and see what happens. Decisions decisionsss... I wish I never owned a 911, I would have bought the Panamera immediately.

I'll keep you posted. If I end up buying the Panamera, I'll post some pictures too. Thanks to all of you

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Shall I switch from 911 to Panamera? What do you think?