Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intro-hopefully ordering GTS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 09:29 PM
RattleItHome is on a distinguished road
@tguerino--how much for the Maserati? My dealer is starting at $18k off sticker of 151. Total 133k. Seems like you got way more.

From my perspective it must compete better with a loaded panny GTS

Old 01-23-2014, 09:38 AM
tguerino is on a distinguished road
2014 Maserati info

MSRP on the 2014 Maserati Quattroporte GTS was $146.6k. Cash purchase price was $110k INCLUDING the aftermarket $2k Maserati factory 4 year service plan under which you do not have to pay for any of the scheduled services. So I ended up getting $38.6k off the MSRP when you include the additional factory service plan.

The car is White/Black with red brake calipers and looks great. It was on the dealer lot when I stopped by to check out the less expensive V6 model Quattroporte Q4's. This was earlier this month. Sales guy told me it was too bad I had not stopped by before the end of the year because I would be sick when he told me how much factory money Maserati had available on the V8 models before end of year. He said the new v6 models were selling 3 or 4 times greater than the V8 (because of the $40k cost increase when stepping up from the V6 to the V8) and that Maserati had $30k in factory money to help dealer move the v8 in December.

He went and talked to manager and said it was possible to still get the $30k off - so with that info I test drove the car and thought why not get something different for a change. Told dealer (honestly) I was contemplating between Porsche Pan GTS and only stopped by to check out the Maserati just to be sure of my decision to get another Porsche. They knew I was serious buyer. Sales guy said the $30k off was max they could do. I met with manager who asked what it would take to get my business. I gave him my number of $110k including the $2k service plan and told him it was my bottom line and no harm no foul if he couldn't do it. I did not think they would and expected him to counter at least a couple grand higher. He crunched numbers on his computer in front of me for 10-15 minutes and after a bit said he could do it by counting on some additional sales later in the month that would increase his dealer money. I do not know if that is true or not, but the deal closed without a hitch without a penny of additional costs.

Of course, if you followed the rest of my story, my wife - who generally could care less about my cars - feel in love with the Maserati. Between her desire for the car, and my ambivalence to its 'sportiness' (seems more Lexus than Panamera) I pushed it to her to shuttle the kids around and got the Panamera GTS for me.

Funny thing is, now my little girls are starting to exhibit signs of being gearheads because they always want to take the Maserati....

Old 01-23-2014, 04:32 PM
Thanks for those details tguerino. Maserati dealership seems eager to make a sale. We're at our leisure in terms of time frame for a new car, so it'll be interesting to see the plays between Porsche and Maserati dealerships.

After comparing the two vehicles, the auto-deploying spoiler on the Panamera seems kind of funny. Just an observation.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:36 PM
Nwills is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mrrippey
Nwills, interested in getting your feedback on why you traded the BMW650GC. I'm in the market for a sedan (my first from a long line of coupes, currently in an Audi TT). What drove you from the GC to the GTS?

Thanks and sorry for the hijack....

Rippey
I picked up the BMW GC when it was first introduced...before BMW experienced poor sales and decided to offer aggressive rebates on the car. As a result I paid close to $130K. I felt that the car wasn't worthy of its price tag..it's built on the 5 series platform and wasn't responsive enough. Lots of body roll in turns and a fairly disconnected feel. Furthermore, it's a good looking car but at that price tag a Panamera or Quattroporte feels like a true Luxury sport sedan that warrants a $100+ price tag....not a BMW...even a fully loaded Mercedes CLS AMG CL63 was substantially cheaper. I just felt that I was driving a $130K car that neither felt or looked the part...in the sub $100k range... it would be a different story

Old 01-25-2014, 11:33 AM
@tguerino-- you might be my twin or something. Wife and I are heading back for her to drive a white over black Maserati GTS. I was there earlier and found the Maserati to be a little puzzling. My choice is Panamera GTS for sure.

BUT... it's a nice problem to have! Wife doesn't want another Porsche in the driveway and wants to buy me a Maserati to replace my Range Rover. Somebody pinch me.

After today it's a numbers game, a bargaining process I don't think Porsche is ready to play given their allocations/inventory. We'll see!

Old 01-26-2014, 10:01 AM
Curious of which GTS you went with?

The Porsche Panamera GTS or Maserati Quattroprte GTS? I was driving the Maserati last night, after not being in it for a week, and actually enjoyed it more than I remembered. One big difference I noticed between the Maserati and my Panamera GTS is that when sitting in the driveway, the Panamera looks like the much larger car. Yet when you start to drive them fast, the Panamera seems to 'shrink around you' and seems much smaller and easier to drive fast. The Maserati feels like a much larger car at speed, even when in full sport mode, and definitely more of a handful to handle than the Porsche.

Between the two cars, the Maserati gets way more looks and stares if that matters to you. People definitely notice it wherever we are, and we were surprised to come out of the restaurant last night and see that the valet had parked our car on the sidewalk (there was a ramp) showcasing it next to the door into the restaurant. That was a first. Never saw them park a car there before and my wife commented it gets that treatment wherever she goes. And we live in a big city with much more exotic vehicles around us every day, so all I can say to those who think the Maserati looks like a Toyota Avalon, it may appear that way in pictures, but in real life no way.

And, it pains me to admit this, but the Masersti definitely feels faster than the Panamera - to be expected since 523 hp trumps 440 hp everyday. But the Panamera is definitely the 'drivers' car between the two. Bottom line, both great vehicles and I am thrilled (and immensely grateful) to have one of each to play with. Good luck with your decision!

Old 01-26-2014, 12:52 PM
cole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by RattleItHome
Thanks for those details tguerino. Maserati dealership seems eager to make a sale. We're at our leisure in terms of time frame for a new car, so it'll be interesting to see the plays between Porsche and Maserati dealerships.

After comparing the two vehicles, the auto-deploying spoiler on the Panamera seems kind of funny. Just an observation.
U are def in the minority on that view....the spoiler is one of the coolest aspects of the car bro....

Old 01-28-2014, 04:54 PM
@cole328-- you're right. It is cool. I wonder how the internal parts stand up to grit over a long time. I was reacting to the Maserati's high speed capability without the spoiler, but I guess they achieve the same effect with it built into the trunk lid. Stylistically, I see the retractable spoiler has its merits.

@tguerino-- following your lead I made offers on two Maserati GTSs. Approaching discount of which you spoke, so I'm intrigued to hear back. I only considered two loaded models because it's going to take a great deal on a loaded Maserati to pull me away from a custom order Panamera GTS. We will see what fate has in store. Black over black or white over marrone.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:06 PM
Good luck!

Both great cars. I love the looks and sound of the Maserati. But in my opinion the Panamera GTS is the much better driver and the one I would pick if could only have one. The sound of the Panamera GTS is close to the sound of the Maserati and better than most any other car (except perhaps Ferrari).

I hope you get the one that makes you happiest!

Old 01-28-2014, 09:50 PM
DENIED! Maserati was a non-starter. They'd go %15 off sticker but no more. This is with a no-trade cash deal.

I'm headed to the Porsche dealer tomorrow to try and capture an order allocation that says is closed but sales guy says can still be changed. With my luck that thing will get locked up before I get there! Yachting blue with black smooth leather interior and the full compliment of mahogany add-ons.

So it looks like fate has pointed me in the right direction after all.

The Maserati is a mysterious temptress.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:05 PM
FOILED! Dealer allocation is locked! So they're looking for another build. It's amazing that I'm trying to spend this kind of money but can't. What will undoubtedly happen is that Porsche will tell me they have a build and within moments Maserati will call and take my offer. And I'll be staring at that black Maserati again, trying to resist.

Old 01-30-2014, 03:22 PM
AS PREDICTED: now Maserati salesman has called back twice asking me to be patient. This morning sounded like they were going to actually bite on my initial offer that was inspired by tguerino on this site. Wanting to confirm method of payment. So IF (still big if) this goes through...

@tguerino--you are a car buying God. I wouldn't have ever made the offer I did without hearing your experience. Whatever happens, thanks for getting me close.

Porsche dealership still looking for an allocation, so it's a race against the clock I think. I'm jumping when the phone rings to see what happens.

Last edited by RattleItHome; 01-30-2014 at 03:24 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-30-2014, 10:36 PM
super50 has a spectacular aura aboutsuper50 has a spectacular aura about
Its definitely frustrating to try and get a new Porsche....when I was looking for a Panamera there was hardly any inventory to pick from locally (or to test drive for that matter), and ordering would have taken several months. If I am buying a new car, I want instant gratification.

The other competitors like BMW, MB, Maserati etc had several to choose from on this lots.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:15 AM
k2man is on a distinguished road
If it were me, I would go Panamera GTS. . . but then again I have not test drove the Maserati. I can say it has been a great daily driver, which was a important factor for me. My friend has had 2 maserati's. one 4 door, and one 2 door. He loved the ferrari engine. I would check to see how on the forums reliable they are if you are going to drive it often.

The handling is also great on the Porsche, but I cannot make a comparison for you.

Its a personal choice, but for me, I felt my 3-4 month to get a car I wanted was worth it.

Good luck in your decision.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:45 PM
A Porsche build allocation came through so we decided to drop the pursuit of the Maserati.

The Panamera GTS will be:

Yachting blue, 20" Panamera Sport wheels, side skirts painted, rear wiper, soft close doors, Bose audio, premium package plus, black smooth leather, fixed luggage barrier in leather, mahogany wood trim including steering wheel and gear selector.

This will sound crazy, but the 3D car configurator on the Porsche website made it easier to forget the looks of the Maserati.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Intro-hopefully ordering GTS