Sponsored by:

Tires-Dealer or "Tire Shop"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 09:51 AM
Enzo1 is on a distinguished road
Tires-Dealer or "Tire Shop"

Hello All,
I have a 2013 Pan GTS with Pirelli P-zeros. Car has 8100 miles. I have a flat tire on driver front. I am being told due to the AWD, most likely all tires will need to be changed if there is more than 30% wear on the other tires. With the use of launch control ......there is at least 30% wear. I was going to change to the Michelin pilot SS eventually, but I was hoping to get a few more miles out of the P-zeros. Looks like that is not going to happen. Have people had good luck with the Tire Racks, Discount Tires, "tire shops" or does everyone stick with the dealer? The dealer is very proud of the tires they sell-pricey!! Because I live in Indiana, I need to get a tire that offers "road hazard" insurance. Discount tire offers this, dealer does not. My Pan needs new shoes!!! Who am I buying them from??

Old 01-17-2014, 03:21 PM
cole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of light
If it were me, given the finicky alignment needs of the car, coupled with the price of the vehicle, I am getting my shoes from the dealer. To me, worth the few extra bucks to not have any issues. I have the same exact car, and around 9000 miles My Pirelli's are almost bald, and I too will be upgrading to the Michelin PSS in the very near future. Sadly, I have not yet done launch control...I am a big wuss. But, I am driving the crap outta the car, and man o man, just love it!

In your particular instance tho, if it were me, I would likely just one new Pirelli from a reputable shop, as its much cheaper option, and sounds like you believe you still have north of 50% tread left. hard until all are bald, and then get all four new ones from the dealer (with the proper alignment)

Old 01-17-2014, 08:21 PM
morelli is on a distinguished road
When this kind of stuff happens to me, I have the new tire shaved to match the thread depth of all the remaining tires. This way everything stay balanced and aligned. Hope that helps.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:30 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
I buy from tire rack and have dealer install. No way I'm paying dealer mark up for tires but I will use them for install. About $75 more than the local Goodyear which is fine to mount and balance.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:07 AM
cole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of lightcole328 is a glorious beacon of light
My dealer here in FL will only install what they sell. Frankly, the mark up was only like $35 per tire in the scheme of things, that's peanuts.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:54 PM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by cole328
My dealer here in FL will only install what they sell. Frankly, the mark up was only like $35 per tire in the scheme of things, that's peanuts.
Better in my pocket then the dealers. My dealer is happy to get the mount/balance biz. No reason IMO to pay more for tires. Porsche already gets us on the crazy lease prices

Old 01-18-2014, 01:21 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cole328
If it were me, given the finicky alignment needs of the car, coupled with the price of the vehicle, I am getting my shoes from the dealer. To me, worth the few extra bucks to not have any issues. I have the same exact car, and around 9000 miles My Pirelli's are almost bald, and I too will be upgrading to the Michelin PSS in the very near future. Sadly, I have not yet done launch control...I am a big wuss. But, I am driving the crap outta the car, and man o man, just love it! In your particular instance tho, if it were me, I would likely just one new Pirelli from a reputable shop, as its much cheaper option, and sounds like you believe you still have north of 50% tread left. hard until all are bald, and then get all four new ones from the dealer (with the proper alignment)
Good thing that you feel good about being jacked.. About the most low tech thing in existence mounting tires.. Next I'll hear that nitrogen is really needed for dd driving ..

Old 01-18-2014, 03:13 PM
jaatlee is on a distinguished road
As another option you could also try to find a good used tire exactly like the ones you have online on Ebay, that way you do not have to buy all 4 right now. Just make sure that there are no patches, cuts, or bubbles before you buy it. Just keep in mind there is no warranty on used tires.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:33 PM
toughluck is on a distinguished road
Most dealers (Porsche and non-Porsche) sell a tire warranty. It is typically sold with the car purchase, but it can probably be purchased separately later if you present a smile and a great attitude. Dealers profit from each warranty so I don't see why they would turn you down. Whether you buy the tire warranty at a Honda dealership or a Bugatti dealership, the warranty covers the cost of any flats at a service center you choose (including Porsche dealerships). Maybe you can contact other Porsche dealerships and inquire if they would sell you a tire warranty over the phone. Then if an incident happens in the future, you can get your tire replaced at the local Porsche dealership...