Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 10:54 AM
DNICE357 is on a distinguished road
I agree, after that incident you couldn't have paid me to get into another Panny, or Porsche.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:21 AM
wassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of light
Wife says same thing. I told her When I get car back tomorrow if noises still there I'm out. She says to lemon it but based on prior dealing with PNA, that'll be a tough one because it wouldn't be considered a safety issue. However it also shouldn't be occurring, to any of us.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:28 PM
wassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of lightwassy is a glorious beacon of light
Got mine back yesterday. Exactly same story. Seems like 1 or 2 of the few noises I have underneath are gone but rest are still there as well as the back hard making a noise every time I make a turn (without stopping). I face the same dilemma. I can not understand how they consider this normal? Maybe they mean, yep, it happens in the panamera and we can't fix it so therefore it's normal. Rant is unacceptable. I called my dealers manager back within 15 minutes of leaving dealership to say I'm coming back in an hour. He told me to just drive it for a while. Why? The ac fan or something also sounds like it's grinding a little. They couldn't reproduce but the wife and I both heard it easily. Comes and goes and sounds like a leaf is in there but a deeper ticking sound. Was gonna put on some Michelin PSS to see if that helps but now I'm asking myself why waste the money if I'm gonna dump the car. I think PNA should be replacing these affected vehicles. It is NOT weather related. Mane that's a different issue, or worsens it but it's there in the hot too. At least on mine

Old 01-31-2014, 12:47 PM
inbyten is on a distinguished road
Wassy,
I was getting a loud screeching noise out of the dash when the heat came on. It was intermittent. They determined the blower motor had a bad bearing. They replaced the blower motor and so far that particular noise is gone. Hopefully that helps!
I'm not sure what else to push for. I was told by the PCNA rep I could write a letter but I don't see how that's going to help.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:38 PM
That's a good description- bad bearing. Exactly what it sounds like. As soon as I shut ac off it's gone.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:06 PM
Well, dealer replaced both front lower control arms (bushings were cracked), and performed and alignment. I can say, it's a huge difference from what I was hearing before. The loud thud is no longer present when I drive over bumps, or make a sharp turn. Keeping my fingers crossed this won't come back again. I can say that the dealership (Walter's of Riverside), has been great to deal with. No questions, listens to my complaints, and attempts to fix the issue. I really can't blame them, as they didn't build the car, they are just the ones who have to try an fix the issues. They are aware of this issue so they already know where to look by trial and error to fix it (or at least I hope it's fixed ). For now, my Panny is riding like I expect a $100K plus car to ride!

Old 02-05-2014, 01:14 PM
MackSea is on a distinguished road
Hi All -

New member here. I have been following this thread and a few others on front end noise for a while. I'm a second owner on a 2010 4S and I too have or should I say had the front end noise. I picked my car up in TX in November (live in DC metro) and soon after getting home noticed two noises - a creak creak over speed bumps and a hollow thumping from the right corner when going over anything less than a perfect surface.

Visit 1 to the dealer - we torqued everything - it's fine. (noise not fixed)
Visit 2 - we replaced the sway bar bushings, everthing is as good as it's going to get, its the weather, all porsche suspensions are noisy. We can't hear anything (noise not fixed)
Call to PCNA - got a case number assigned and told to take back to the dealer for a ride along with the service manager.
Visit 3 - ride along. 1 mile into the ride "oh THAT noise - yes, I hear that along with many other noises. We'll get right on it". THree weeks later, upper control arms first, it's better but not right. Disconnect sway bar - better, replace sway bar end links, better but not right, replace lower control arms - AND THE NOISE IS GONE. Too bad in the process they curbbed all four of my 20 inch Turbo II wheels, no, not kidding about that, assume they caught the safety rail on the alignment rack, or the lifting arms on the lift were not tucked back far enough but now have a six inch scrape on every wheel. It goes back next week to see if their wheel guy can do something. Definitely bummed about that.

PCNA has been very helpful and has also offered up some assistance since my car has been in the shop for over 30 days since November 20.

Now that the front end is quiet (and BTW - the car just "feels" better), I've got a creak creak from the REAR suspension. So that goes on the list next week too.

It's my first Porsche - and I absolutely love the car (black, tan, sport +, burmester, 20s, etc). I'm not sure - but it may also be my last - I need a family sedan that is reliable (and fun to drive).

Old 02-05-2014, 02:10 PM
That's very interesting MackSea. My service manager, when he did a ride along with me, said the exact same thing "I hear many noises in your car". I wonder if that's a way to say noises are normal and guided by Porsche corporate or we for bummer cars. Lol.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:45 AM
The good news is that previously he was describing the noises as normal. Since we got PCNA involved the noises are being fixed. To the poster that commented about the car being squirley - yes, I've noticed that too. And it reminded me that I'm driving a car with very wide tires. At least in this part of the country our roads are terrible both pot holes and wear ruts/grooves in the road. I find the big tires tend to follow those ruts and at times it takes two hands to hold the car steady. Smooth roads its fine and since we did the front end, it's a lot better.

Car goes back Tuesday to evaluate shop damage to the wheels as well as address the rear creek and erratic tach issue (with possible misfire).

Old 02-06-2014, 10:44 AM
Personally, I have a problem with that. IF the noises are "normal" then how can they be fixed? Sounds like a contradiction on their part. I will say that in my dealer's favor that they did spent an awful lot of time attempting to resolve so I can't find fault on their end. They did seem genuinely interested in making the car right but I guess hit a point where Porsche said no more fixes, it is what it is.

I've really been trying to focus on exactly when these noises occur. I've narrowed it down to 2 or 3 times they occur. 1, immediately after applying gas from stop and just before a complete stop or near stop, 2, it is more noticeable and of a longer duration when making sharp turns at low speed like pulling into a spot in a parking lot and 3, it's most exaggerated when turning AND hitting some dips in the road, like a swayle between the road and a driveway.

For my car, the noise is not piercing, not all that loud, but it is definitely there and bothersome, all the time. Add to that the crunching from front/rear over certain dips and bumps, knocking sound from rear hatch over dips and bumps on turns, ticking rattling noises from dash, door panels and center console and I'm just pulling my hair out. Lol. And when I've had enough and want to wash it out with some tunes, my iphone gets disconnected from PCM, or freezes up.

For me at this point there isn't another car I would want. Would I would like is for this car to be fixed to an acceptable level or replaced with one that is.

I may have said this before here but what I find hard to believe is that some cars do have these noises and some do not, as noted by other forum members. If the noises are in fact normal for this model, how do they justify the ones that don't have the noises? Are the quiet ones the ones with the problems or the ones with the noises? Lol. Very confusing lol. Seems to me that if they can I. Fact peodice a car without these issues then they do in fact have a problem somewhere along the lines. I'm hoping for a good outcome and resolution one way or another. I would love to love the car again!

Old 02-07-2014, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by wassy
Personally, I have a problem with that. IF the noises are "normal" then how can they be fixed? Sounds like a contradiction on their part. I will say that in my dealer's favor that they did spent an awful lot of time attempting to resolve so I can't find fault on their end. They did seem genuinely interested in making the car right but I guess hit a point where Porsche said no more fixes, it is what it is.

I've really been trying to focus on exactly when these noises occur. I've narrowed it down to 2 or 3 times they occur. 1, immediately after applying gas from stop and just before a complete stop or near stop, 2, it is more noticeable and of a longer duration when making sharp turns at low speed like pulling into a spot in a parking lot and 3, it's most exaggerated when turning AND hitting some dips in the road, like a swayle between the road and a driveway.

For my car, the noise is not piercing, not all that loud, but it is definitely there and bothersome, all the time. Add to that the crunching from front/rear over certain dips and bumps, knocking sound from rear hatch over dips and bumps on turns, ticking rattling noises from dash, door panels and center console and I'm just pulling my hair out. Lol. And when I've had enough and want to wash it out with some tunes, my iphone gets disconnected from PCM, or freezes up.

For me at this point there isn't another car I would want. Would I would like is for this car to be fixed to an acceptable level or replaced with one that is.

I may have said this before here but what I find hard to believe is that some cars do have these noises and some do not, as noted by other forum members. If the noises are in fact normal for this model, how do they justify the ones that don't have the noises? Are the quiet ones the ones with the problems or the ones with the noises? Lol. Very confusing lol. Seems to me that if they can I. Fact peodice a car without these issues then they do in fact have a problem somewhere along the lines. I'm hoping for a good outcome and resolution one way or another. I would love to love the car again!
Wassy - what parts specifically were replaced in your car? I've got "new" noises and I'll be back at the shop next week to get those addressed and yes, now that the front end is quiet, I can hear more noises from the dash and door panels but I can live with those by drowning out with the burmester.

My noises were described as "normal" until the service manager heard them while I was driving the car - then they were a problem and got fixed.

Specifically on my car they replaced:
Front sway bar bushings
Front sway bar end links
Upper and Lower control arms (both sides). I've heard this part has been changed compared to what was installed on the car in 2010.
Full alignment

Front end is now quiet. I had all of the noises described in this thread - creak/groan over speed bumps and a dull, hollow, clunk/thud when going over bumps at speed. Now I just have a creak in the rear (speed bumps again).

I'm pseudo happy with the car. Now if I can get the rear noise sorted out - and the erratic tach needle (which is more and more feeling like a misfire) I might, just might keep the car.

Talk to PCNA - express your concerns as it relates to the safety of the suspension and your displeasure with the brand specifically. They've been super helpful for me (Vanessa was my case manager). Hope you can get you car sorted out.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:16 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by MackSea
Wassy - what parts specifically were replaced in your car? I've got "new" noises and I'll be back at the shop next week to get those addressed and yes, now that the front end is quiet, I can hear more noises from the dash and door panels but I can live with those by drowning out with the burmester.

My noises were described as "normal" until the service manager heard them while I was driving the car - then they were a problem and got fixed.

Front sway bar bushings
Front sway bar end links
Upper and Lower control arms (both sides). I've heard this part has been changed compared to what was installed on the car in 2010.
Full alignment

Front end is now quiet. I had all of the noises described in this thread - creak/groan over speed bumps and a dull, hollow, clunk/thud when going over bumps at speed. Now I just have a creak in the rear (speed bumps again).

I'm pseudo happy with the car. Now if I can get the rear noise sorted out - and the erratic tach needle (which is more and more feeling like a misfire) I might, just might keep the car.

Talk to PCNA - express your concerns as it relates to the safety of the suspension and your displeasure with the brand specifically. They've been super helpful for me (Vanessa was my case manager). Hope you can get you car sorted out.
I'll chime in again on this matter. I've had everything done to the front suspension and after getting my Panny back this last time, the noise is much better, but still not fully gone. As I mentioned, I drive my Panny 90% on weekends only, but when I do drive it certain driving tactics scare me because I just know that the noise will be there. Right now, if I make a sharp turn with the front wheels turn at full angle, the suspension sounds like it's about to just fall out. It's even worse when on slick surface, like now when we are getting a few drops of rain here in Cali. You all may just want to try this and see if you get the same results. You can even back out of a driveway and turn the wheel sharp right or left, or try making a very sharp U-turn and see what you hear. I thought maybe this may be because my tread is low (have about 4K left), but I know it can't be just the tires. Now, as for the other noises, I really have not heard much else, except for the rear hatch on occasion but I can for sure live with that. But I do a lot of highway driving when I do drive, and my music is blasting so maybe I'm drowning out all the other noises
So, as for now I guess I'm OK with driving my Panny, but I honestly can say that I would probably not purchase another one unless I drove it for a while to confirm these "normal" noises are no longer present. I know for sure the front end noise is no way normal. I have Hondas, Acuras, and even a Jeep Wrangler and have never been to the dealer for more issues combined than I have with my Panny! I love the Panny, but honestly $100K plus on a car should not warrant such issues and concerns.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:51 AM
Just got home from meeting with factory rep. We each drove car and he heard what I heard. I call them clunks. He calls it pinging. Ironically I also have an engine pinging noise when giving a little gas from a turn or stop sometimes and we didn't even address that. He asked dealer to use electronic headphones on driver front strut, which was already done, for the crunching noise that he calls the clunk. What he isnt willing address is the most disturbing noise and that's the clunk that is present when slowing to a stop and a do for clunk when taking off. He said it's the pdk downshifting and sounds like something loose, but it's NORMAL he says. He also asked to have engine decarbonized and tire pressure reduced to "comfort" levels. Right now cold is 38/41-42. Told him won't make a difference with the noises.

I explained I was disappointed I that the main noise most annoying to me is not willing to be addressed. We will see what happens after next repair.

Parts replaced so far were away bar bushings and links, upper control arms or lower, but not both (I forget), and retorque. Very few noises are fixed and most still there.

I also showed him an Audio/video of the dash rattle. He heard it immediately but said he needs something more consistent than "it happens often but not every single second". I'm at a loss here guys.

Won't have any further news really until I get car back for third time in a couple weeks (goes in Monday the 17th)

Old 02-07-2014, 12:26 PM
Me! 2013. My 2010 did NOT exhibit these noises.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:55 PM
speedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud ofspeedsterr has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MackSea

Front sway bar bushings
Front sway bar end links
Full alignment

Ur creak in the rear is probably the bushing on the strut. Have a 2014 boxster S that did this over speed bumps. WTF is wrong with porsche and their bushings? All of their bushings are crap it seems. They all cause the car to squeak like crazy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front end noise