6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Panamera (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/panamera-75/)
-   -   Front end noise (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/panamera/327401-front-end-noise.html)

inbyten 01-22-2014 09:05 AM

I have a 2010 4S. The car has had a lot of noise coming out of the front end since I bought it about a year ago. I've had the lower control arms replaced as well as the sway bar bushings on the passenger side. For those of you that drive in cold climates, is the front end noisier on really cold days? I'm taking the car to the dealer soon to have them take another look.

boswell1037 01-22-2014 08:54 PM

yes i am having the same issue with my 2011 4S. i have taken it to manhattan porsche and they said that porsche is aware of the problem and they adjusted the front end but the car is doing the same thing but only happening in cold weather.i am making another appointment and if they dont solve it i will call porsche na and complain on this issue.these cars cost too much money for this issue!

pgeoph 01-23-2014 06:40 AM

I had a similar long standing complaint about the front end on my 2010 turbo. They changed out the upper and lower control arms as well as the sway-bar bushings at about 30,000 miles. Ultimately they re-torqued the front sub-frame and the problem went away. Almost 50,000 miles on the clock now and still rock solid.

DNICE357 01-23-2014 04:34 PM

I'm having the same issue with my 2010 S. I've taken it back to the dealer 3 times so far, had the sway bar bushings replaced, then they did "suspension" adjustment, and can't recall what they did the last time but I'm still getting the same noise. I'm in Cali. so the weather doesn't get that cold, but I do notice it is more pronounced right in the morning, but it still happens often after driving for a while. Looks like I'll be taking it back and requesting to have the "re-torque" done since it sounds like that's the real fix. They haven't replaced my upper control arms yet but sounds like that won't fix the issue anyways. I have 47K miles on my Panny, but still have warranty left so I'm going to keep hounding them until this is fixed.

henrywong_dds 01-25-2014 12:19 AM

i live in canada and it's really cold this winter, i have the same issue when the car goes over small bumps during low speed the front end sounds like it's coming loose, i have no more warranty on the 2010 ptt, does anyone knows how much it is to retorque the front end subframe?

DNICE357 01-27-2014 10:03 AM

Not sure how much it cost, but with Porsche I'm sure it's pretty expensive. The guy who got it done was still under warranty, and so am I so I won't be paying a dime. I'll ask and see if the give me an answer. You should maybe try and push to get it done for free or at least reduced since they know this is an issue with the Pannys.

cvprez 01-27-2014 10:15 AM

I had the same issue with my 2010 PTT when it was cold and I would go over driveway entrance or speed bump the car would make awful creaking and clunking. It was still under warranty at the time and I took it in, the replaced some stuff and tightened others (not sure of actual details) but it resolved the issue. my 2013 PTTS seems to be making some of the same sounds in this cold weather, but not as bad so my guess is it's a pretty common issue.

DNICE357 01-27-2014 03:00 PM

Yes, it is a common issue the shop person at my dealer even said so. He said they have to go through multiple trial and error steps (i.e., change the bushings, change the control arms, adjust the sway bar, etc), in order to nail down the issue or at least get it to be where it's not as noticeable. I've had all of it done except for the control arms replaced and today, I simply requested to have the front end retorqued b/c I'm tired of going back and forth to the dealer. Not only for this issue, but my check engine light came on again, after they said that the oil change may fix it last week, which I was pretty sure it wasn't (but this is another rant). I only drive my Panny on the weekends, I could imagine if I drove it as a daily driver I would have come across these issues sooner. Still for a car that cost over $100k these issues are just annoying. I love my Panny, but I'm having strong doubts if I would ever buy another Porsche. I can say, the Cayenne Diesel is a beast as an SUV. Fun to drive.

wassy 01-27-2014 06:40 PM

The service manager at my dealer called me today. After over 2 weeks in the shop, he said we are at tail end of fixing the noises and should be ready tomorrow. Like everyone else, front control arms, bushings, away bar links and a retorque of every single nut and bolt under car (subframe as well he says). Told me they test drove 15
Times with multiple techs. They "think" they got em all however the noise at the tail end of braking is transmission. Related and although noise reduced is still there slightly. He drove 3 other S's and they exhibit same (as we know). As good measure they replace Tranny fluid, gasket and bolt (I think that's what he said). Aligning car tomorrow. Hoping for the best here...

I asked him what about the interior noises. His reply was "there are numerous interior noises in your car" and discussed one specific one from driver side rear door. Had entire door apart and there is absolutely nothing they can adjust or felt or anything. Reassembled and so far, so good but will let sit in sun tomorrow to see if weather related (south Florida).

I addressed the tires as It relates to possible added noise per these forums. He advised that my Pzero's should get 8-10k rear and 10-14k front. I have 6500 miles on them with about 7/32 left. I was hoping they'd help me out with some PSS but said tires are fine. Wonder if it pays for me to pay myself and see. Best price I got from local tire dealer is $1800 installed, balanced. Dealer said that is his cost and needed $400 more for same. Thoughts guys?

It's ashame that a car if this caliber exhibits the noises we are all experiencing and that Porsche is aware and unable to really come out with a proper fix.

One thing dealer did say was car has 12k on odometer and the parts are no longer new and very possibly could make noise?? Really? 12k? I see a lot of you with 30k, can't imagine what this particular car will sound like at 30k. Lol. Again, thank you all for your guidance.

DNICE357 01-27-2014 07:39 PM

Wow, two weeks in the shop? That's insane, but honestly as many times as I have been back to my dealer for this issue I wish they would have just done the same, kept the car and trial and error on each "potential fix." As for me an interior noise, I really don't hear anything besides the rattle of one of my rear seat monitors for my entertainment system (which I told them to fix today as well).
As for your tires, I woul never buy tires or rims from the dealer. I can get the PSS installed with a warranty for $1650. I would suggest you just shop around, but the dealer should'nt be a part of that search. Good luck bro with your Panny, hopefully this will at least resolve the cluckiness of the front suspension. It really is a shame because I love my Panny, but I wouldn't purchase another one after this fiasco.

wassy 01-27-2014 08:25 PM

Thanks. Being this my second Panny, I tend to agree about my buying a third. What I didn't bring up regarding my first Panny is that although it was quiet, the car was totaled. How is where the story gets a little wicked. I crashed into a palm tree exactly 2 houses away from own on my street. No exaggeration. Coming home from somewhere with my son, driving down our street at probably 20mph, I found my passenger front fender in the tree. Immediately before I felt the steering wheel rotate right, all the way, at an incredible speed. It just flew out of my hand. He asks what happened. I said "I have no idea". I call for a police report (thank god it was a tree and not a home or a person) and cop agrees something makes no sense. No tire skid marks, just a crap load of mangled suspension parts sticking out of car. That's the irony. If I hit the tree, a huge dent would have been made in fender and everything mangled inside but no, it was bulging out! The tie rod or control arm (not sure but it looked like a silver metal A shape part, was cracked cleanly. I call dealership and PNA and State Farm. State
Farm told me they had 1 other similar issue at that time and was investigating. They came out and felt it was driver error. They said I must have swiped the curb and the car got sucked in. Oddly enough, I told PNA as I chuckled that there are no cubs on my street, only a shallow swayle and then grass. Period. No lip except edge of grass. I sent pics to PNA and State Farm again highlighting how this was impossible without suspension failure. I then hired an expert who spent a couple hours Analyizing the street, tree, etc. He agreed and wrote it up as suspension failure. Car was totaled because it punctured the firewall even at that low speed. The right wheel/tire was purpindicular to the car, that is it was facing directly to the side of the car at a 90 degree angle, or close to it. It was disconnected from the car. That would easily explain the car suddenly pulling hard right and Into tree. Needles to say PNA denied any responsibility and State Farm, because of PNA, decided it was driver error and charged me with the accident. The police of course did not and found it to be mechanical.

So, needless to say - don't think that this isn't on my mind every time I'm driving it, worried that it could happen again, only at higher speeds. So when the suspension clanks and clunks, do you think in freaking out? LOL. Not the most comfortable feeling.

Since the question may come up from one of you, no, I had no intention of suing anyone nor Porsche. I am not that type and wasn't hurt as best I thought at the time)I did however think they should have agreed with the "potential" failure and perhaps replaced the vehicle rather than State Farm doing it (paid fair market value and I didn't get too hurt). Especially since it apparently happened to another panamera, same year (2010). This was all back in 2010 as well.

Thanks for letting me vent. I don't know if I posted that at the time, and if I didn't, it was probably my effort to protect the brand's stellar reputation.

inbyten 01-28-2014 08:28 AM

Wow, wassy. That's scary. Glad to hear you weren't hurt! My car is at the dealer today. Regarding the front end noise, I'm being told they replaced everything and re torqued everything they could when they diagnosed the noise a few months ago.

wassy 01-28-2014 10:02 AM

Well while many of you are in the cold weather and think its weather related, I have same issues here in south Florida. Hardly cold or freezing despite a few days of chilly weather, my noises have been present during hot days as well.

I have a 2014 base Pana loaner and while it doesn't have noises to the extent of my own car it is rather noisy underneath.

Bottom line is Porsche has an issue on their hands and I believe they should step up to the plate, acknowledge it and have an engineering crew find a proper fix. I agree with above, I've had many performance cars and none who it this behavior. What's worse is being told it's weather related. That may be true to some extent but really? Do they only sell cars to warm climate buyers? It's been a few years this issue has been present. Time to fix it.

kip 01-28-2014 10:30 AM

Scary, after that I Would have not bought Another Panamera anymore.

wassy 01-28-2014 10:51 AM

Funny enough, I loved the car up to that point. And thought maybe it was a one time anomaly. Been wanting another and finally got a good enough deal to re enter. Maybe the deal wasn't so good after all. Lol. Picking up my car in the morning. Will let you all know if noises gone. My bet - no, but I'm hopeful.