Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy a Pre-owned Panamera Turbo or Panamera 4S??? Need Advice!

Old 07-25-2014, 02:08 PM
Polar993 has a spectacular aura aboutPolar993 has a spectacular aura about
Should I buy a Pre-owned Panamera Turbo or Panamera 4S??? Need Advice!

I am in the market for a pre-owned Panamera. I need something with all-whee-drive, and I'm looking to spend roughly $70-$75K.

I've narrowed my choices to either:

2010 Panamera Turbo - Loaded with under 20,000 miles, CPO

or

2012 Panamera 4S - Loaded with under 20,000 miles, CPO

Through my exhaustive searches of classifieds on eBay, Cars.com, AutoTrader, etc., both of these cars are of roughly the same value.

I have never driven either car, but I have to assume that the Turbo is incredible!

This will be my daily driver, and will replace a 2012 BMW X6 5.0. I only put about 5,000 per year on my daily driver, and I have an E60 M5 as my other weekend car. The M5 has lots of mods (lowered, Eisenmann Race, Hartge wheels & spoilers, etc.). The M5 is def not setup as a daily driver.

I am seeking the advice of all of you on the forum as to your recommendation of either the 2010 Turbo or the 2012 4S.

Has the Panamera gone through much of a change from the original model year to 2012 or to 2014 for that matter? Visually they look quite similar.

Is the performance of the Turbo so much better than the 4S that there's no comparison between the two?

Is the Turbo too much of a car for a daily driver? I drive to a commuter parking garage in Greenwich, CT, where the car sits for 10 hrs a day. In the garage are at least 10 Panameras, some Aston Martins, many 911s, Maseratis, etc. There's no shortage of nice cars in there, and the spaces are nice and wide!

Any feedback you can provide would be most appreciated!

Thanks!!!

Old 07-25-2014, 02:18 PM
benblack is a jewel in the roughbenblack is a jewel in the roughbenblack is a jewel in the rough
Many threads about this. Depends what your wallet can handle. And I think most on here including me. Bite the bullet get the turbo. I lost money trading my 4s for a turbo and couldn't be happier. Go drive them both pick which you like best. Good luck

Old 07-25-2014, 05:04 PM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
I would do the Turbo.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:56 PM
Banned
doktorek has a spectacular aura aboutdoktorek has a spectacular aura aboutdoktorek has a spectacular aura about
There is only one answer. 2010 Turbo. Period.

I was in the same shoes and so were many others. Eventhough you only use this as a commuter - you will have so much fun. You dont need to take it to the race track to have fun. Pure surge of acceleration will make you get the turbo. If you dont care about power and fun - go with a v6.

I was actually looking for the 4S. But by accident they let me drive a Turbo. That was it. I was hooked. I knew I was destant to join the Turbo club. And if that is not enought for you - getting extra 100hp out of it is very easy.

Please - drive it before you buy it. You must. Once you drive it - you will know it. Pure rush of the acceleration will help you decide it.

I use it as a daily driver and there is no such things as too much. I get 25mpg on the highway and around 15-18 mpg regular city driving. 8mph when you are having fun.

Once you get it, bring it down to Glencove for a cool car show. http://forum.exotics4life.com/showth...en-Cove/page29
We need more porsche guys there.

Last edited by doktorek; 07-25-2014 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:36 PM
nick.kapoor is on a distinguished road
i bought a p4s in Feb this year. That was my first porsche. I liked the brand. I got hooked onto it. After hearing everyone talk about a PTT, i had to test drive it. So last Saturday, I drove 300 miles to test drive one that looked like a great deal.

I couldn't walk away from the dealer lot without putting a deposit on the turbo knowing fully well that I am gonna lose a lot of money on the trade. Well I have the PTT in the garage today.

From personal experience: If you do buy the panamera 4s, don't ever drive a turbo thereafter, or you will lose money.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:45 PM
Banned
doktorek has a spectacular aura aboutdoktorek has a spectacular aura aboutdoktorek has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by nick.kapoor

I couldn't walk away from the dealer lot without putting a deposit on the turbo knowing fully well that I am gonna lose a lot of money on the trade. Well I have the PTT in the garage today.
Congrats Nick. Good choice.

Dont you wish the the turbos were a little louder? Have a louder whistle? LOL. Welcome to the Turbo club.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:54 PM
benblack is a jewel in the roughbenblack is a jewel in the roughbenblack is a jewel in the rough
Exhaust will fix that problem when u let the lion out of its cage

Old 07-25-2014, 09:56 PM
nick.kapoor is on a distinguished road
Thanks Dok. I cannot hear anything with the insulated glass. I wonder when the horses are hauling but things definitely are coming at me quickly. On the loudness level I definitely would like the option to turn it on or off have a little volume control. Depending on the mood, I can turn it up or down. My concern is that the turbo already draws enough attention and on a busy street I would deploy stealth mode while on open roads, I would turn up the volume all the way up. LOL.

Last edited by nick.kapoor; 07-25-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:39 AM
Banned
panameraph is on a distinguished road
A little off topic. I also drive a p4s and very tempted to get the c4 for some more 911 performance and fun...

But, instead of having 2 cars, an alternative is to replace p4s with ptt... Can a ptt still be comparable with a c4? Or I would still want a c4 after getting the ptt?

Old 07-26-2014, 05:26 AM
alex_123_fra is on a distinguished road
I didn't drive a turbo or 4S prior to putting a deposit on my 2011 turbo. In hindsight, I wish I had driven the GTS as I love an NA engine and it sounds incredible. The turbo is impressive in terms of combining insane speeds but also being comfortable. I have the sports exhaust and people tell me it sounds great from the outside but inside I can't hear much when going near the red line...not even in most tunnels. One of my favourite sounds is a nice V8 reverberating inside tunnel walls.

Have just ordered a supersprint X-pipe to fit to see if that improves matters (while keeping the stock downpipes and backboxes from the sports exhaust).

For your purposes, I'd say a turbo is a good fit.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:27 AM
Polar993 has a spectacular aura aboutPolar993 has a spectacular aura about
Thanks guys for all your feedback....I really appreciate it!

I'm not surprised that the resounding consensus (so far) is to go for the 2010 Turbo over the 2012 4S. There's no doubt that the Turbo will drive great and will provide the adrenaline rush that you all speak of. I just wonder if I need that when I already have an M5????

Some people have asked me why wouldn't replace the M5 with the PTT, instead of getting rid of my X6? The answer is that I have a strong attachment to the M5, which is an amazing car, and it's much more special to me than the X6.

If I was to replace the M5, it would certainly be with something like a PTT or better. I'm not about the sell the M5....the X6 is what's going to leave the stable.

Very tough decision to make! Good problem to have!

Thanks guys. I'll continue to think about this and let you know what I decide.

-Polar993

Old 07-26-2014, 05:38 AM
Pbread is on a distinguished road
I would say if you have a special place in your heart for the M5 - why not get another car that can share that special place? get the turbo.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:43 AM
Pbread is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by alex_123_fra
I have the sports exhaust and people tell me it sounds great from the outside but inside I can't hear much when going near the red line...not even in most tunnels. One of my favourite sounds is a nice V8 reverberating inside tunnel walls.

I have a full aftermarket exhaust (downpipes/xpipe/exhaust) and get my daily thrill by going through tunnels on my daily commute with my PTT... I'm addicted to the sound. I'll try to record on my phone and post the video

Old 07-26-2014, 05:47 AM
alex_123_fra is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Pbread
I have a full aftermarket exhaust (downpipes/xpipe/exhaust) and get my daily thrill by going through tunnels on my daily commute with my PTT... I'm addicted to the sound. I'll try to record on my phone and post the video
That would be great thanks. Off topic but may I ask which exhaust you have? I was going to get a full system but I want to keep the valve button within the button cluster operational and I want the "stock look".

Old 07-26-2014, 05:53 AM
MrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud of
I went with the 4S but then again I did not by my car for speed, I already have that in real sports cars. Also my car had well over 20K in options (I have never seen another car optioned as well) along with an aftermarket exhaust and I bought for less then cars like it are selling for now over a year later. In the past I have always bought the top of the line in any car I've had but this time I went a different way and I have no regrets nor desire to change to a turbo.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I buy a Pre-owned Panamera Turbo or Panamera 4S??? Need Advice!