Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Universal Charger (AC) details

Old 09-11-2014, 11:41 AM
Robotpedlr will become famous soon enoughRobotpedlr will become famous soon enough
Is the black bracket that the portable charger snaps into, when in the dock, removable? It may work best in my garage to only use the charger (and not the giant dock), so I am wondering if that bracket can be used to bolt directly to the wall?

Old 09-11-2014, 11:50 AM
Gus_Smedstad is on a distinguished road
The black clip holding the EVSE box is held to the rest of the stand by two Torx-head screws. You could definitely remove it and replace them with wood screws so it mounted on its own.

However, you still have the issue of where to drape the cord. The stand is only as big as it is because it's primarily a reel for the cord.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:39 PM
Robotpedlr will become famous soon enoughRobotpedlr will become famous soon enough
Thanks Gus.

I would probably just buy a bracket for the cord. Plus I am probably going to elect to get the 8' option (you can select either 8 or 25 with your car). My car will be parked about two feet from where the charger will be mounted...

Old 07-03-2015, 03:55 PM
htaustin is on a distinguished road
Battery capacity

Hey guys

I recently bought a 2014 CPO panamera SEH. I got a 240v outlet installed in the garage. The battery charges in about 2.5 hours. However, after a full charge, only 12 miles is displayed as the e-range. I assumed I would have gotten at least 17-20 miles after a full charge? What have been your experiences? Thanks

Old 07-03-2015, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by htaustin
However, after a full charge, only 12 miles is displayed as the e-range.
The displayed e-range is an estimate. It's anyone's guess exactly how they calculate it, but I find that it's rarely accurate. The displayed estimate for gas range is usually fairly far wrong too.

If you're concerned about whether the battery's getting fully charged, ignore the e-range, and look at the meter. Either the analog one (lower left), or any of the digital ones you can show in the multi-function display.

In practice, I find that two main things influence real electric range: temperature and driving circumstances. If it's warm out, and I carefully stick to using electricity only for testing, I've found that I get 14 miles for city driving and 20-21 for highway cruising. Both on relatively flat roads - hills are going to influence that, though it mostly evens out if you recapture energy going downhill.

Cold cuts into that significantly. If it's freezing out, I get maybe 7-8 miles range.

These ranges are for 80% of the battery. The car drops out of e-Power mode when the battery drops to 20%, because it tries to keep reserve power for starts and extra acceleration. What it does afterward varies. I've run the battery down from 20% to 0% in hybrid mode (what you get it if nothing's selected) because I was doing city driving, and then the car made a point of charging the battery back to 10% or so. Sort of like e-Charge mode, but automatic, running the engine even when stopped, and the display shows power going from the engine to the battery.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:45 PM
htaustin is on a distinguished road
Gus

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation!
Amazing car overall!

Old 02-12-2016, 07:38 PM
z28com is on a distinguished road
I just bought the Porsche Universal Charger and that same housing today. Somebody traded in their car and gave this to a car dealer. I bought it from the car dealer having no idea that it would ask for a security PIN code. The screen is asking for a PIN code and I have no idea what it is. Now I can't charge my electric car.

I can't find anything on-line about resetting the code and there's no owner's manual with this thing.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:53 PM
My manual says to deactivate the PIN enter 0000 Sounds pretty basic but give it a try.

Attached Images  

Last edited by Robotpedlr; 02-12-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:43 AM
z28com is on a distinguished road
Angry

Thanks. I tried 0000 and it would not do anything. I wonder if there's any way to open it and reset it back to factory defaults the same way you can do a router by holding down the button?

Old 02-13-2016, 08:37 AM
Yeah I thought that sounded too easy, even though that is what is listed in the manual. I would try it again though both plugged into the car and not. Maybe it's some weird combination. And I assume you are pressing the Ok button after?

You can call Porsche to see if there is anything else you can do like a hard reset.

Last edited by Robotpedlr; 02-13-2016 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:56 PM
Chris R is on a distinguished road
Good news is it only 4 digits. Not that many combinations

Old 02-16-2016, 01:05 PM
bishopdablack is on a distinguished road
if the car is still under the warrenty the charger is covered under that .. just take it to the dealer and tell them it does work and they should replace it they replaced mine when it was scratched up pretty bad

Old 02-16-2016, 04:29 PM
ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !ace10 Is a GOD !
Don't try to brute force the password. The EVSE has SW code which likely has the ability to react very unfavorably to such activity.

The seller is responsible for furnishing a usable product. Make them deal with it.

Your Porsche dealer likely has an update from the mother ship for the EVSE, regardless.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by Robotpedlr
My manual says to deactivate the PIN enter 0000 Sounds pretty basic but give it a try.
Those instructions are for deactivating the PIN once the charger is unlocked using the PIN. You enter "0000" in the "set new PIN" dialog, not in the initial unlock.

It'd be pretty silly to have a security feature that could be bypassed by any random stranger with 0000 at the login screen.

Old 03-19-2016, 02:14 PM
paul29 is a splendid one to beholdpaul29 is a splendid one to beholdpaul29 is a splendid one to beholdpaul29 is a splendid one to beholdpaul29 is a splendid one to beholdpaul29 is a splendid one to beholdpaul29 is a splendid one to beholdpaul29 is a splendid one to behold
Looking for a Porsche charging dock, I do not need the actual charging unit that it houses. Does anyone have one for sale?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche Universal Charger (AC) details