6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Panamera (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/panamera-75/)
-   -   911gts or ptt (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/panamera/352053-911gts-ptt.html)

panameraph 11-19-2014 07:11 AM

911gts or ptt

I drive a p4s now. Switching to 911 definitely feels like a bigger change to justify the money and fulfills my long desire owning 911. But I will very much prefer taking my kids in the car I love rather than some other family car. Needless to say ptt is much more practical but it's no 911..

Do u think the performance upgrade to ptt can outweigh my 911 desire? I really don't want to go ptt and then realize I still keep thinking about the 911 and regret...

Performance and fun factor wise, is the ptt even comparable with 911gts?

For those driven p4s and ptt, is it worth the switch?

Thanks for advice

Gus_Smedstad 11-19-2014 09:57 AM

From what I've read, the PTT can be a serious track car. It's very fast, and corners very flat.

You're driving a P4S now, which means you already have a good idea of the main argument against a PTT - whatever the performance numbers may be, it's a big car, and sight lines are nothing like the smaller coupe. I haven't driven a 911, but we do own a Cayman S, and it's nothing like my Panamera in feel.

Visibility is very different, feel of the car is different, and to be blunt, looks are different. I have to really look carefully at my Panamera's lines, look at it from certain angles, to feel like it's a sports car rather than a big sedan. It's much lower than a regular sedan, and it has the Porsche hips, but it doesn't leap out at me. This is never a question in my mind looking at a Cayman or 911 that it's a sports car.

The question you have to ask yourself is, where are you going to be spending all your time behind the wheel? That's where you should spend the money. If you'd mostly drive the 911 because you don't need proper rear seats or cargo room for most of your driving hours, that's what you should get. If you're going to be in another, larger car anyway, make that one the nice one.

porschemama 11-19-2014 10:20 AM

I'd also consider how old the kids are. I considered a new panny last year but really had the 911 itch. My kids are 3 through 10 and loooove the 911. They are small enough to fit in the back but eventually a panny would be a better fit. I also did something unconventional. With 4 kids, we opted for 2 older 911s (cab for girls, turbo for boys & track)... and kept an Audi for weekend family hauling.

nick.kapoor 11-19-2014 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by panameraph (Post 4238900)
I drive a p4s now. Switching to 911 definitely feels like a bigger change to justify the money and fulfills my long desire owning 911. But I will very much prefer taking my kids in the car I love rather than some other family car. Needless to say ptt is much more practical but it's no 911.. Do u think the performance upgrade to ptt can outweigh my 911 desire? I really don't want to go ptt and then realize I still keep thinking about the 911 and regret... Performance and fun factor wise, is the ptt even comparable with 911gts? For those driven p4s and ptt, is it worth the switch? Thanks for advice

I am one of them who switched from a p4s to a ptt in just 5 months. Seemed like a crazy decision from a financial point of view. However do not regret it a bit when I am driving the ptt now.

nick.kapoor 11-19-2014 02:31 PM

I am one of them who switched from a p4s to a ptt in just 5 months. Seemed like a crazy decision from a financial point of view. However do not regret it a bit when I am driving the ptt now. Let me put it this way once you drive the ptt you will be spoilt. Once the mind has expanded it can't go back.

Samp 11-19-2014 02:54 PM

I had a 2010P4S and traded for a 2014 911 4S cab. I just bought my wife a 2014 PTT. The P4S was a great car but really wanted more so I got the 911 a year ago and I was really glad I did. It is a sports car and feels like one.

I have just driven the PTT a few hundred miles but just love it also. The 4S was just not enough where the PTT satisfies. Is it worth the money -maybe. Does it put a grin on my face similar to my 911 - yes

panameraph 11-19-2014 04:18 PM

thanks everyone for the comments...

i feel from you guys that the satisfaction on ptt is actually quite close or even similar to a 911...

'put a grin on my face similar to my 911' - that's what i wanna know..

fulfilling 911 desire is not as important as rear seats practicality... as much as i want to consider 911 rear seats are usable, i know i am just cheating myself... at the end it can't be used like a normal rear seats..

Samp 11-19-2014 05:14 PM

I actually went with the Executive as the discount was larger than the extra cost of the car. It is longer and takes away little of the sport car feel but the wife likes it better. The P cars are much smoother than the C cars as one other benefit if that matters to you.

dnsacks 11-19-2014 05:47 PM

you should also consider a panamera gts -- it provides a crisper suspension than a p4s (or stock ptt) and the immediate throttle response of a NA engine

Samp 11-19-2014 07:25 PM

I agree on the PTS to see just what you want. I can no endorse as I have not driven but I understand it would be more 911 like

chance6 11-19-2014 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Samp (Post 4239415)
I agree on the PTS to see just what you want. I can no endorse as I have not driven but I understand it would be more 911 like

I just went from a 911 991 C2S PDK to a 2014 PTT. let me tell you, whether it's 911 GTS Or PTT, you can't go wrong but the PTT is faster. All depends on the feel you get driving each. A panny GTS has cayman GTS performance but not a 911s and def not PTT performance.

chance6 11-19-2014 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by panameraph (Post 4239306)
thanks everyone for the comments...

i feel from you guys that the satisfaction on ptt is actually quite close or even similar to a 911...

'put a grin on my face similar to my 911' - that's what i wanna know..

fulfilling 911 desire is not as important as rear seats practicality... as much as i want to consider 911 rear seats are usable, i know i am just cheating myself... at the end it can't be used like a normal rear seats..

If you want to know the truth my PTT puts every bit the smile on my face as my 991 did. Have you Considered a 991 turbo?

panameraph 11-20-2014 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by chance6 (Post 4239482)
If you want to know the truth my PTT puts every bit the smile on my face as my 991 did. Have you Considered a 991 turbo?

991 turbo is ultimate dream car.. .but it seems a bit too aggressive for me...

now knowing most u guys are so happy with the panny, as much as 911, I think the choice for me now becomes easier... to upgrade to another panny.. although psychologically it seems paying for something 'similar', I am sure it's the most practical and regretless choice..

Samp 11-20-2014 02:09 PM

A PTT is not similar to a 4S. There is a huge difference. Especially pre 2014 to newer.

MrPrice 11-21-2014 04:42 AM

I own the car in the photo (which is so modified it is barely a Porsche any longer) as well as a 4S. My twins are 10 and the only time the want to be in the cab is when the top is down. Not a chance they would be comfortable for more than a short drive (they like driving in my modified Abarth these days)in that backseat. Sorry but the PTT might be fast (I've driven a few of them) but it is big and heavy and yes compared to other big and heavy sedans it is amazing. But compared to a 911 not so much. I am not a fan of the 991 (seems more like a GT car to me lost a lot of its sports car feel) but the 997gts is a great drivers car that unlike the GT3 it is easy to live with as a daily driver. After owning 40 (37 911 Panny, Boxster S Cayenne TT) Porsches I can tell you this I went through many Ferrari's Lamborghini's Maserati's and BMW's and in the end they are all gone and so will the Panamera at some point. The 911 will stay until I'm too old to push the clutch pedal in. For me at least it is the car I have always felt in tune with, comfortable, and in sink with. I just naturally know what it can do and when it's at the limit and how it will react. I have owned a lot of cars in my life and fulfilled all my car (my new dreams are much harder to fulfill) dreams a long times ago. If yours is to own a 911 then do it. Even if you have to get rid of it because your kids cant fit in the back you get to fulfill your dream. Like they say this is not a dress rehearsal live every day the best way you can! Good luck.