Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS rear brake shim removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 02:42 PM
riden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura about
GTS rear brake shim removal

The rear brakes on my 2014 have a shim with a cylinder attached. The cylinder has O-rings and slides into the caliper pistons. The shim/cylinder assembly appears to be bonded to the back side of the brake pad. Can this assembly be reused or should a new assembly be purchased ($25 per side)? It's not clear i can remove the shim without damaging it. These are the original brakes.

Old 11-05-2016, 09:44 PM
OEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura about
Your new pads should come with new shims...in my experience new pads deserve new shims and its only $25

Old 11-06-2016, 01:57 PM
riden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by OEkun1
Your new pads should come with new shims...in my experience new pads deserve new shims and its only $25
I was able to separate them from the pad by very carefully forcing a razor from a utility knife between the pad and shim. The new pads have adhesive already applied to bond with the shims. I agree it would be easier to replace them but at $25 per pad (100 total) they would cost as much as the pads. I would imagine some people don't reinstall them since noise is not a concern.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:31 PM
OEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura aboutOEkun1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by riden
I was able to separate them from the pad by very carefully forcing a razor from a utility knife between the pad and shim. The new pads have adhesive already applied to bond with the shims. I agree it would be easier to replace them but at $25 per pad (100 total) they would cost as much as the pads. I would imagine some people don't reinstall them since noise is not a concern.
Interesting...thanks for the update, I wonder (hope) they simply forgot to include the shims on yours...I'll be changing mine soon as well. Did you go with OEM pads?

Old 11-07-2016, 03:50 PM
I used pads from an OEM supplier. The Porsche pad kit didn't appear to have replacement shims either although they cost almost double.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:44 PM
last911 has a spectacular aura aboutlast911 has a spectacular aura about
I can't speak with certainty re the Panamera pads, but no pads for any of the 911s I've owned came with the Shim/puck assemblies. They've always been sold separately. Their purpose is to keep the pads from vibrating and lowering the possibility of brake squeal. On some of my 911s, I'd remove the shims in order to install track pads. I often didn't use them when I'd put the street pads back in and had no squeal. However, they're there for a reason, it's up to you to decide. The can be reused if you can get them to stick to the pack of the pads.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the info last911. I was beginning to believe not many were doing there own brake jobs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.