Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is airbag control module in Panamera 971?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2022, 08:46 PM
maestr0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Airbag control module in Panamera 971, console disassembly [SOLVED][PHOTOS]

Hi, I had a small collision and an airbag went off. I'd like to repair the car myself. A new airbag is already on the way to me but I think I have to reset the airbag control module too. There are many companies that do it but the caveat is the module has to be physically shipped to them. Where is the module located in Panamera 2018 base 971?
Usually the module is somewhere in the center console. Do you know if I have to remove the entire center console to get to it?

Is it possible to get some sort of service manual for 971? I can pay for it. Is there an option to get access to the manual that the authorized Porsche dealer mechanics use and pay for access per hour?

EDIT: 9 August 2022

I figured it out myself. The airbag module is under the center console between the seats. It is necessary to remove the entire centre console front section to remove the SRS module. Adding some photos from my non-destructive disassembly.

Last edited by maestr0; 08-09-2022 at 07:16 PM. Reason: answered my own question
Old 11-24-2023, 03:42 PM
Alawi is an unknown quantity at this point
Central Control Removal

Thank you for this thread,
Can you please provide more information on how to remove the central console and how you reset the airbag control module. I have a 2018 Panamera project. The original couldn't be reset for communication issue so it was apparently replaced with a used one but that doesn't seems to work. Dealer is asking for way too much and can't afford it.

Old 11-24-2023, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by Alawi
Thank you for this thread,
Can you please provide more information on how to remove the central console and how you reset the airbag control module. I have a 2018 Panamera project. The original couldn't be reset for communication issue so it was apparently replaced with a used one but that doesn't seems to work. Dealer is asking for way too much and can't afford it.
The photos show everything about the console disassemble.

it is not required to remove the module to program it or reset the codes. Everything can be done without any disassembly with a proper scanner tool like the Porsche PIWIS 3. (I didn’t know it when I originally wrote this post)

if you replaced the module with a used one it needs to be coded to the car VIN with a PIWIS3 scanner.

A new blank module from Porsche also needs to be coded to VIN in the same way.

all airbags codes can be reset in PIWIS (3 resets max per module)

piwis is available from Porsche for $10k or you could buy a Chinese knockoff for under $1k (software and the odb2 scanner interface )

Old 11-24-2023, 05:11 PM
Thank

Thank you for the information. I think dealer is just refusing to code the used module installed in the vehicle and want me to spend $1500 for parts ans $1200 for labor. I'm not planning on keeping the car so would be helpful if I can get a shop to do the programming.

Originally Posted by maestr0
The photos show everything about the console disassemble.

it is not required to remove the module to program it or reset the codes. Everything can be done without any disassembly with a proper scanner tool like the Porsche PIWIS 3. (I didn’t know it when I originally wrote this post)

if you replaced the module with a used one it needs to be coded to the car VIN with a PIWIS3 scanner.

A new blank module from Porsche also needs to be coded to VIN in the same way.

all airbags codes can be reset in PIWIS (3 resets max per module)

piwis is available from Porsche for $10k or you could buy a Chinese knockoff for under $1k (software and the odb2 scanner interface )

Old 12-14-2023, 11:51 AM
Front cup holder Console removal

Hello @maestr0 ,
In the end I have to replace the module. I have got a good idea of how to remove the shifter portion of the center console. Can you please provide guidance/steps on how to remove the cupholder portion of the console. I can't find any video online. Again I'm a novice when it comes to interior so your input will be greatly appreciate it.

Old 12-14-2023, 03:04 PM
These are all the pictures I have
https://photos.app.goo.gl/NfcyUc9BPZrLJK2w6

It should be enough to take everything apart. I'm not a mechanic, I know very little about cars, but I just enjoy DIYing things. If you don't know how some parts come together, it's a good idea to look up them up on Ebay, check photos to see where the screws are.
You have to remove the shifter completely, you have to remove the four screws underneath it and probably some screws in the center console where the USB connector is. I think there's a screw under the rubber mat. You DO NOT have to remove the thin bezel around the center vent. Use ONLY plastic tools for prying things out, duck tape everything that can get scratched.