Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panamera Porsche Protection Plan (extended warranty) Cost

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 10:43 AM
Chedman13 is on a distinguished road
Panamera Porsche Protection Plan (extended warranty) Cost

I just bought a 2014 Porsche Panamera Turbo Executive and the 4 year, 48,000 miles factory Porsche Protection Plan (extended warranty, direct from Porsche) is:

3-year/36,000 miles: $6,539 with $250/deductible Platinum Coverage
4-year/48,000 miles: $7,142 with $250/deductible Platinum Coverage

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...rotectionplan/

SafeGuard, their aftermarket warranty provider was not willing to quote on it. I read somewhere online that Panamera's outside the warranty period, there are very few aftermarket warranty providers that will offer extended warranties.

I tried to negotiate and did not succeed, and ended up purchasing the 4-year/48,000 mile for $7,142 and $250/deductible (no choice for less on my car, even though I see they have $100/deductible).

To give a little insight, my car has all the service up-to-date, but has 54,000 miles on it.

I have 30 days to cancel and get my money if I wanted to.

I assume the dealership had a large markup, but wanting to see what people though overall. I couldn't even get $100 off - but I'm seeing online that people are buying these for $5k-$6k. Sometimes even $2-3k, but I'm not sure what is apples-to-apples and apples-to-oranges.

4 years at $7,142 is $1,785.50 per year of coverage.

Overall, I went with it because I want the piece of mind in case a turbo goes out, transmission, etc... and the per year cost makes sense to me.

I am posting so others get some transparency so they know what to expect if they run into my situation, and also if someone has any insights

I've negotiated Mercedes-Benz Factory Extended Warranty's down by 20% with some effort, so seeing what type of real wiggle room there is with the Porsche warranties.

Questions:
1) What are your overall thoughts, as I am relatively new to Porsche ownership.
2) Can I cancel this and purchase this from another dealer with the VIN and save some money?
3) What is the actual mark-up on these? What would have been a good price for this warranty?

Last edited by Chedman13; 03-15-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:45 AM
Adding to this thread as I just saw this post. So it doesn't seem out of line of what others are seeing, this would similar to the 8 year or 100k miles for $7,628 with $250 deductible.

Any opinions about this Extended Warranty cost schedule:

6 years or 75K miles $4385
6 years or 100K miles $6192
7 years or 85K miles$6232
7 years or 100K miles $6796
8 years or 100K miles $7628

All with $250 deductible offered directly through Porsche for new 2016 Porsche Panamera Edition.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...anty-cost.html

Old 03-15-2017, 06:35 PM
2thfxr is on a distinguished road
check with this person, he discounts warranties a lot.
tdietrich@fd-warranty.com

Old 03-15-2017, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by 2thfxr
check with this person, he discounts warranties a lot.
tdietrich@fd-warranty.com
Thanks just sent an email, wish I knew about this earlier!

http://fd-warranty.com/index.html

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 03-15-2017 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:36 PM
KamanCali is an unknown quantity at this point
Troy (the email) only days he can sell warranties to cars that are in the 4 year existing manufacturer warranty?.......

Other options?

Old 03-19-2017, 10:47 PM
Registered PM
paperchase is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm looking a CPO car so that will give me another 2 years or 50K whatever comes first. I wanted a longer warranty and the dealer offered a third party plan with will "wrap around" the CPO coverage. In short, I will be paying for 2 years of coverage that are already covered by CPO. I was hoping to take the CPO and make the decision to extend before its expiration. Are there companies that will cover while you are still under CPO or does it have to be the 4 year original manufacturer's warranty?

By the way, this is my first post and I'm closing in on a purchase this week but am trying to figure out what I'll do in two years when the CPO expires. Thanks!

Old 04-01-2017, 05:36 AM
orangeokie is an unknown quantity at this point
I figured I would make this my first post. I am going to buy either a 2010 4S or Turbo next Friday. I too was considering an after market warranty, but decided to check out the forums to see if there were any major issues with the car, which would lead to a big repair bill down the road.

A few years back I purchased an extended warranty on my wife's pre-owned 2003 Volkswagen Passat W8 because their was a known manufacturer defect with the dueal torque converter and cam adjuster modules that Volkwagen would not fix with a recall. There are two of these control modules, one for each bank of cylinders on the W8 engine. Cost to replace one module was approximately $2500 parts and labor at the VW dealership. When I bought the car (with approximately 30K miles) I also purchased a 3yr warranty from my VW dealer (I also have a Touareg.) The warranty was approximately $2500. After putting about 10,000 on the car, sure enough, one of the modules went bad. The warranty covered it. Since I knew that the other would probably also go bad, I asked them if they would be willing to replace it too since they had the engine out. The warranty company would not do it. In hind sight, I should have just bought another new module myself and had them install it. As it turned out, the other module eventually went bad, but my warranty did not have enough money left in it to cover the entire cost, so I had to pick up much of the cost of removing the engine again and fixing the other side.

My take away, as far as a warranty on a used Panamera is I am gong to self insure myself, because I have not heard of any major problems with the Porsche turbo V8 that would make me believe something is going to fail. I will just cover the cost of repair myself if something major does happen and keep the $7 grand in my portfolio, growing in this remarkable stock market! ;>)

Old 04-02-2017, 06:22 PM
KamanCali is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm with orangeokie here- being proactive covers 95% of things

PTT is bulletproof, except:

Air suspension- use eBay kits DIY @$300 or master-tech rebuild struts @$700. I went the latter no issues.

Coolant pipes. - replace when you're ready, or just stop the car if it bursts....limited collateral damage (unless your my wife who likes to keep on driving it....)

And finally.......WC-22 camshaft head bolts shearing. The IMS boogeyman of 2010-2011 Panameras that will blow up your engine and DOA time. So here's where I'm with this. I had 3 boxsters prior and all safe on IMS (I checked oil quality). So I'm over being anxious about these scenarios...

As for for this issue......I just keep a small dental mirror in the center console. I check the bolts every month by sticking the mirror in the oil cap, and seeing the backside of the gear. True, I can only see one bank and not the other......but if it looks in good shape why mess with it?....(I'm at 80k now so....)

Other than that last one....the rest should be straightforward, is my take. Take that $7k warranty bill and spend $3k on cams then another $1-2k on coolant pipes if you want, have some backup for the occasional air strut or compressor, then you're good to go!

...and I crazy? Should I be more "afraid of WC-22"?

Old 04-05-2017, 09:45 AM
grover432 is on a distinguished road
I think you have to recognize these cars are expensive to purchase and expensive to maintain after warranty. To me, a smart way to do it is to buy a two year old car CPO and have 4 years of warranty left, then trade the car just before the end of the warranty and do the same again. The original owner takes the most severe depreciation hit in the first 2 years and you can assess the car to see how much service it needs as the mileage racks up. Keep in mind that the CPO warranty is the same bumper to bumper warranty the car comes with new.

To think that I have to cover $8,000 of potential repairs with an aftermarket warranty that costs $7 - $8,000, makes me wonder whether I ever want to own this car (or any car like it) after warranty expires.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:21 AM
Mercedes AMG are similar, financially it usually doesn't make sense to own after warranty expires.

But depending on the person, finances might not always take priority (or if you're really fortunate, not at all).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.