6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Panamera (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/panamera-75/)
-   -   Panamera Turbo Questions - 2010 or 2011 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/panamera/413323-panamera-turbo-questions-2010-2011-a.html)

ciaka 10-15-2017 10:27 PM

Panamera Turbo Questions - 2010 or 2011

I have been looking around for a while, on 2010 and 2011 Panamera Turbo.
Greatly appreciate if you can help find answers to below questions:

1. Do PTT 2010 have more issues than 2011, or are they similarly stable?
2. Does PDK come standard with Panamera Turbo on either year?
3. Any major things to look for when inspecting a potential car for buy?
4. Do these cars have high maintenance costs in general (meaning things break often and are not cheap)?
5. Anything else to check when looking for 2010 or 2011?
6. If I had to choose 2010 with lower miles than 2011, would you go with the lower miles or newer year?
7. Are there noticeable differences between 2010 and 2011 worth noting?

Thanks for help.

ciaka 10-17-2017 11:02 PM

Help answering these will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

allroadusa 10-18-2017 11:04 PM

Hi,
2010 and 2011 are identical. Some early bugs have been corrected on 2010 models with recalls.
PDK comes standard.
I'm running a french Panamera forum with hundreds of owners. I did not notice any reliability difference between 2010 and 2011 model years.
Look for front end noises than can be solved changing front end parts like lower and upper control arms.
Porsche Maintenance costs are high. Get a good covering.
I wouldn't bother about model year.

ciaka 10-19-2017 08:33 AM

really appreciate your input. I own a Cayenne TT at this time and was looking into getting the Panamera for a change.

More questions:
- I assume the 8 gear PDK came in on a later year? Or is this some wrong info I read?
- What is actual usefulness of the sport plus feature in real world?
- What exactly does sport plus option do and how? Trying to decide how important it would be on my list of want to have features.

Much appreciate any input. Thank you.

allroadusa 10-19-2017 12:26 PM

8 gear PDK came with Panamera 971 model year 2017.
Panamera 970 was available only with 7 gear PDK from 2010 to 2016.
To me and many others, Sport Plus (Sport Chrono package) is mandatory on a Porsche because it provides sportiness a Porsche deserves (handling, shifting speed, direct throtle, torque overboost, launch control,..)

From the 2010 brochure :

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...81a8616c3.jpeg

ciaka 10-19-2017 12:30 PM

Thanks!

So other than possible front end noises, anything else to look out for?
Coolant pipes, water pump, fuel pumps, ac, starter, etc?
If the year is same, maybe I could be better off looking for '10 with fewer miles if cheaper?

Any other 'essential' features?
What say you? Thanks again.

GTSpeedRI 10-19-2017 01:49 PM

On my second Panny Turbo and I can tell you if you're not buying from a Porsche dealer a PPI from a dealer is of the utmost importance.
If you can stretch your budget, buy a CPO-ed 10 or 11 from a Porsche dealer and you get two years of warranty with it. Can't go wrong with that, it's how I've bought both of mine and would never buy one without the CPO.

ciaka 10-19-2017 01:58 PM

Yes, considering that. On my CTT I have been able to do many of the enjoyable tasks aside of the coolant pipes (just did not feel like tacking that, although did not appear super threatening).
So for now trying to focus on options, mileage, and then will decide on the CPO, etc. Great info here.

RSogi 10-23-2017 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by ciaka (Post 4672624)
Thanks!

So other than possible front end noises, anything else to look out for?
Coolant pipes, water pump, fuel pumps, ac, starter, etc?
Any other 'essential' features?

Hi,
Wanted to share my thoughts and repairs about PTT 2010.

1. Camshaft adjuster bots.
You do not have to forget about this.
I have changed mine adjusters for peace of mind right before FVD tune.
more info here: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...s-failure.html
There will be recall in USA as I understand. but not in Europe atm.

2. Coil problems
My PTT had. Changed all of them. You can DIY.

3. Front end noises
My PTT has. Specially in cold climate. But that can be minimized by changing front end parts like lower, upper control arms and stabilizer bushings.

4. HPFP
High pressure fuel pump issue. No CheckEngineLight. You can feel this problem when car is jerky at low RPM aroud 2k-2,5k, high gear in manual (as I remember 5or6) and Full Throttle. With good HPFP car is slowly accelerating. With bad HPFP it is jerky and not driving.

5. My car had coolant leak/loss on highway. Snapped blue plastic bolt. Located in right bottom part of radiator. But it seems that it was over tightened.

6. +regular maintenance.

To me Sport Plus, PASM and PDCC is mandatory - there PTT's soul is hidden.

rmjjensen 10-23-2017 01:48 PM

FWIW I was initially looking for a sport crono package'd panny but wound up purchasing one without the option. My reasoning was that I found out that I could add it later if I wanted: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/970SMS.html

I don't know if anyone here has experience with the process for adding it after the fact but it looks like it's possible.

ciaka 10-27-2017 09:43 PM

that is good to know one can add sport plus onto the car.
The more I look the more I want one.
Wife is already seeing writing on the wall, asked me yesterday if I am getting one. lol
I want her to be involved in the decision, she will drive it too.

I think my preference is the carbon gray with light interior, turbo, with sport plus, adjustable suspension, sport exhaust, heat/ac seats, 4zone ac, and maybe those pesky electric screens to put up. I hop not missing anything important. Now will have to be on lookout for something with such options (good luck I guess).

ciaka 11-28-2017 09:06 AM

So I am on the hunt for a PTT for a good price, 2010-2012 based on sniffing around on various forums. My preference would be 2011 or 2012 but we shall see how this pans out - hilarious - as prices will drop again after new year and salesmen will be more eager to get rid of cars on lots.
Will be looking for a southern car, untouched by road salt, ice and potholes (well that would also exclude cars from Silicon Valley).

My preferred options:
- carbon gray metallic ext, with light tan/cream int (if not, black)
- sport plus
- sport exhaust
- adjustable suspension
- heated/cooled seats
- 4 zone ac
- Burmester
I am ok waiting, can take months to choose, my PIG is taking good care of me for now.

BTW, what is the code for adjustable suspension?
Anyone know of a site that can help you decode options that a car has? There used to be one but it appears to have been shut down by dealer that had is hosted on a website.

Thank you again.

allroadusa 11-28-2017 01:28 PM

Hi,
Adjustable air suspension comes standard on PTT (code 351).
This website is reliable for option full decoding but not free (cheap though)
http://pod-online.com/vin.php

XLR82XS 12-03-2017 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by RSogi (Post 4673366)
Hi,
Wanted to share my thoughts and repairs about PTT 2010.

To me Sport Plus, PASM and PDCC is mandatory - there PTT's soul is hidden.

Agreed. Must have items - I have all on my PTT and it's fantastic.

ciaka 12-05-2017 07:28 AM

So how would I tell each feature I want is in the PTT I am looking at without going into trouble of looking up VIN details?
I put down the options I look for below, with assumed way to tell. Please correct if not right. Also which are standard?

- sport plus - button in console & round chrono clock on dash - this is an option
- cool/heat seats - buttons on console front and/or rear - cool part is an option
- burmester - logos on speakers - this is an option
- sport exhaust - button on center console & change in tone once button pressed - this is an option
- PDCC - not sure how I would tell assume the height control buttons in console - not sure if an option on turbo