Sponsored by:

New Owner and question about wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 11:16 AM
MoOriginal is on a distinguished road
New Owner and question about wheels

Hi All

New owner here in the UK. Panny 4s - 32k miles 2010 970.1.
Sports exhaust as option - air suspension.

I was fortunate to get the car with two sets of the wheels - 19s for winter with a mint set of 20s for the summer with new rubber on them.

Heres a picture of it on the summer wheels

I was thinking that Id like to change the wheels to 22's - perhaps sell the original mint 20's to fund that.

But im worried about the effect the 22s will have on ride!
I live in Spain where the roads are pretty good - and its sunny for a lot of the year.
I do love the look of the 22's but Ive always been torn about the ride.
For example i have a 955 Cayenne - and only went to 20's on that.
And my Coxster - has 19's - because i definitely didn't want to lose any feel or ride on that car for the bendy roads here.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:52 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
read Road and Track (and others/internet) reports on tire sizes 19-20 are about as big as you want to go for performance ... anything after that is for looks at the expense of engineering. IMO.
Nice car. That's two nice sets of wheels.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:34 PM
knowspin has a spectacular aura aboutknowspin has a spectacular aura aboutknowspin has a spectacular aura about
What cerbomark said.

Plus, with 22's you'll be replacing one or two over time.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:04 PM
Victory007 is on a distinguished road
On the other hand if good looks are higher up on your list than being able drive at the limits of the car, some of the available 22s look hella schweeet.

Nice wheels

Last edited by Victory007; 03-12-2018 at 04:06 PM. Reason: added link
Old 03-12-2018, 05:51 PM
Former Vendor
HRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Jurrian has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by knowspin
What cerbomark said.

Plus, with 22's you'll be replacing one or two over time.
With Cast wheels, yes that would be a problem in that size, but with Forged wheels you have a better chance at holding up to those road imperfections.

We've done plenty of 22" Panamera's in our day if you're interested. Mild to Wild and everything in between, we've done it. Here's a few examples:

Old 03-13-2018, 03:11 AM
yes torn - between the looks and the ride.

Spain has some fantastic switchback roads - smooth good road surfaces are pretty much standard - and warm weather (20c+) is pretty much 8-9 months of the year here in Marbella (southern spain).

Riding on 22's would be great for looks.
And loving those slightly gold looking alloys.

I wonder how much i should worry about max performance and drivability from my third porsche which is more executive car.
Can you see what im leaning towards

Can i ask does the air suspension help to smooth out the ride enough with 22's ?
Or is the size and depth of tyre more dominant in making the ride more crashy or bumpy ?

Old 03-13-2018, 03:19 AM

Look good but i wonder how well it would look on mine with my standard grey/white callipers

Old 03-13-2018, 11:13 AM
2010Panny4S will become famous soon enough
If your roads are pristine then you don't have to worry about meat on the tires. On my Panny 4s, I went 21's forged 3 pieces as I do hate the look of running on rubber band tires. But with terrible roads here in California, I've already bent 2 wheels and still awaiting the wheel shop to complete fixing my 2nd wheel.

Old 03-14-2018, 04:41 AM
Originally Posted by 2010Panny4S
If your roads are pristine then you don't have to worry about meat on the tires. On my Panny 4s, I went 21's forged 3 pieces as I do hate the look of running on rubber band tires. But with terrible roads here in California, I've already bent 2 wheels and still awaiting the wheel shop to complete fixing my 2nd wheel.

Do you have any pictures ?

Old 03-14-2018, 10:10 AM
Here are not so good shots.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:54 AM
firstly
like the colour of the car - same as my coxster - not sure about the wheel colour but your rocking them !

Old 03-14-2018, 11:19 AM
I wanted something to pop but not too obnoxious. I might put a couple carbon fiber items outside to go with the black wheels but that it after that as I'm planning to go to 911 sooner than later.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:22 AM
Just A GTS has a spectacular aura aboutJust A GTS has a spectacular aura aboutJust A GTS has a spectacular aura about
I wanted something to pop but not too obnoxious. I might put a couple carbon fiber items outside to go with the black wheels but that it after that as I'm planning to go to 911 sooner than later.
Love the contrast on the wheels. Basically the color of what I just got mine done.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:30 AM
are you on air suspension - as it looks dropped or is that the 22s just filling the arch ?

Old 03-14-2018, 11:38 AM
Just A GTS has a spectacular aura aboutJust A GTS has a spectacular aura aboutJust A GTS has a spectacular aura about
To chime in with your thread. I have two sets of 20s (one for my winters) and 22s for nicer weather.

I live in New Jersey / New York where the roads are horrible! If you drive smart and not have super thin tires you should be ok, but accidents do happen. I have air suspension and always drive on the lowest setting. I cannot feel the difference with the 20s on versus the 22s. I obviously like the look of the 22s better as it fills in the fenders more and it does not look large since the car is wide and long.

Here is a thread of our cars with 22s.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...look-22-a.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Owner and question about wheels