6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Panamera (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/panamera-75/)
-   -   Need Advice: Panamera of M5 (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/panamera/422201-need-advice-panamera-m5.html)

Houseofwolves 07-10-2018 09:28 AM

Need Advice: Panamera of M5

Hello all, long time fan of the Panamera, current BMW driver but old 2005 3 series I'm looking to replace very soon (within next days). I've narrowed my choice down to either an M5 or a Panamera.

Here are the candidates:

2016 M5 - fully loaded, executive package, competition package. 16k miles at $68.5
2014 Panamera 4S Executive edition - Fully loaded 9.9k miles at $67.5k

both are in excellent condition in and out.

Here is my dilemma. I love both cars for different reason. Love love the Panamera's interior in the 2014. Not that big of fan M5 interior, but love the performance. I'm looking for the best of both worlds, a car that is fun to drive and looks great in and out. Just can't decide. I've been going over this in my head for weeks now. Can't decide so I'm looking for any suggestions based on owners here. Thanks ahead of time.

ace10 07-10-2018 10:57 AM

My suggestion on the particular Panny you're considering... take it for an extended test drive. Don't do back roads, highways, etc... Try to parallel park it. Drive it around town. Back it into a space. Steep driveway? Etc.
Make sure you're comfortable with the massive dimensions and severely limited visibility.
I agree that the facelift Panamera interior is the nicest of the Germans.
The M5, as you probably know, will leave the Porsche for dead in terms of acceleration.

$0.02

Houseofwolves 07-10-2018 11:27 AM

thanks for suggestions. Never considered the size to be an issue, but I can see your point. That's the main thing here. When I seat in that panamara, I feel like the car is full of luxury, the M5 reminds me of a modern version of my 3 series - nothing special at all, but that performance. As far as price, do those specs/numbers look decent/fair?

Victory007 07-10-2018 12:49 PM

I was confronted with the same choice when I purchased my S. I compared specs, warranties, interior comfort (why is the 5 always so boring inside), all the way down to the paint finish of each vehicle I was looking at. At the time I owned a 550i. I loved the raw power of the M5, but at the end of the day I decided that the M was just a trim level of the 5 and 5's are EVERYWHERE. The Panny was a distinct model and one that I wouldn't see around town every 5 minutes.

Ultimately, that was what led me to purchase the Porsche.

Please I really love the movie Risky Business - "Porsche...There is no substitute." I always wanted to say that. ;)

orangeokie 07-10-2018 08:30 PM

Look for a Panamera Turbo. You won't be sorry. You get the luxury and the performance, plus you will get the looks and thumbs up everywhere you go.

Mofongo 07-10-2018 10:03 PM

I almost bought a 2010 (E60) M5 before getting my PGTS. The M5 was exactly the one I was looking for in terms of mileage, options, color, price. It was so hard to resist buying that, but the Panamera was really calling to me by then. The E60 had amazing handing, but the interior in the Panamera was another class entirely. It's also so much more versatile, both in terms of space and road manners. It's good for a week's vacation for family of 3, and you can be well-mannered around town but turn on the sport exhaust (if you have it) when you want. The E60 always sounds and acts like the beast that it is. But the chassis is very responsive and easy to read. The Panamera is actually harder for me to read, although in terms of raw cornering it is superior.

I also test drove an F10 M5 out of curiosity (2012?). Although it offers many advantages over the E60, I did not like the F10 chassis as much (or maybe it was just the steering). It feels deader and heavier, and that combined with so much power made me feel uncomfortable. I already think my GTS has too much power for me to use, so I don't see the point for having any more especially if I'm scared of it. The interior was still inferior, although I felt like the double-clutch tranny was a bit faster (or maybe just smoother) on downshifts in the M5 than the PDK.

I personally don't feel like I need any more power than my GTS. But if you do find the M5's level of power intoxicating, then I agree just get the Turbo and be done with it. Best of both worlds.

XLR82XS 07-11-2018 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by orangeokie (Post 4726566)
Look for a Panamera Turbo. You won't be sorry. You get the luxury and the performance, plus you will get the looks and thumbs up everywhere you go.

+1. I have a PTT and LOVE it. I would never consider the M5 over the Turbo. Now... 4S vs. M5? I would go M5.

Obi1 07-11-2018 11:43 PM

I have to 2nd all of the opinions on the panamera. (not surprising since this is a panamera forum) I have a 2014 turbo executive and i don't really find the size that much of an issue. It handles like a smaller car and with the 360 surround view camera parking is pretty easy and straight forward. I believe that for all intents and purposes the panamera will be the better car. The panamera per your accounts has the edge in terms of interior(which is what you will be looking at majority of the time) and is more exclusive(depending on where you live) as the f10 M5/5 series is pretty ubiquitous. The 2014 4s has 420 hp which is more than enough power for everyday use and if you have the sport chrono package it will give you a very dynamic driving experience. I believe a 4s(non exec) with PTV and PDCC pulled a 1g on skid pad with motor trend so handling isn't an issue. My choice would be the porsche!

ciaka 07-12-2018 07:22 AM

I do not think comparing performance of BMW M5 vs Panamera 4s is an equal car comparison.
It is like comparing the Panamera turbo to the BMW 3 series. They dont even belong in the same group.
More fair comparison would have been BMW M5 and Porsche Panamera turbo.

If I was looking for a car, I would look for one that is eye catchy. Something that is not abundant in the area. Would also be looking for a car that feels great while I am sitting in it. Means the interior is awesome, which will come handy every time you drive home from work, or to work. That will be the difference between just any commuter car, and one which instantly puts you in the 'Im on vacation' mood.

Exterior look should be unique too - not something looking like thousands of other cars.

Performance wise, you would have to make decision of how much you would want it. No one can help you make decision there.

Given all above, there is only one car that fits the bill - the Panamera.
There are millions, literally, of BMWs out there, and most folks will only see a BMW and think of it as common.
When you drive a Panamera, not only it is a Porsche, but a Panamera. Super rare, sleek too.

If you really want the extra performance, look for a turbo with PDCC and sport chrono + and sport exhaust. Extra money but will give you a perma smile for years (you know, the kind after you meet up with your ex gf, and end up spending the night :D ).

Houseofwolves 07-12-2018 08:44 AM

I've decided to go with the 4S. I haven't been able to find a GTS in my area with the mileage/price point I'm looking at. I did find a 2013 turbo but it wasn't well taken cared of from the interior and carfax had an accident reported. This panamera I'll be hopefully getting is a 2014 but only 9k miles - it's practically brand new and flawless when I test - drove it. I still haven't test-drive the M5, but as much as I know I will love it's 560 horses, I can't get over how generic that interior is. I just love the look of the panamer in and out. I appreciate everyone's take on it. Helped a lot. Now I just gotta get the salesman to give me the price i want ;)

XLR82XS 07-13-2018 01:45 PM

Good. You will love the car.