Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

panamera front bumper question

Old 07-30-2018, 05:52 PM
newporsche is an unknown quantity at this point
panamera front bumper question

hey all i got a small scrape on the bottom side of my front bumper (due to a steep driveway i presume). it is on the underside so it cant be seen unless you are looking under the vehicle.

is the underside of the front bumper plastic? is the underside a small separate piece that is separate from the rest of the bumper or is all together as one? would a place be able just to do a spot repair on the underside of the bumper or would they have to respray the whole bumper?

any thoughts appreciated thanks.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:15 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
I asked just these questions recently.

Yes, the underside of front bumper is plastic.
No, underside of front bumper is single piece with the entire front of the bumper.
I am sure if you pay someone enough, they will do whatever you want them to do.
Surely, if thats what you want, they can spray only bottom.

My thoughts, take off the bumper, get bondo, spot repair to make even and smooth, use close color to spray yourself, or spray with paint color number of your vehicle. Depending on color, you may not notice anything at all after touch up.
You can buy guards for bottom of the bumper for future incidents.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:42 PM
well the reason i ask is the vehicle is wrapped and i plan to rewrap it again with a different color in the future, I think the scrapes would need to be fixed before they could rewrap it so thats why i ask asking. I dont mind the scrapes on the underside as it eventually will happen but if i need to fix it to rewrap then i would prefer just fixing the specific scrapes rather than repainting the whole bumper, what do you think?

Old 07-30-2018, 06:52 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
If it was me, i would fix scrapes with bondo, spray to be close in color, and when ready, re wrap. how does that sound?

Old 07-30-2018, 06:58 PM
its possible to just spray the underside or would it look weird? is it more cost effective to do it that way? if i took it to a bodyshop?

Old 07-30-2018, 07:13 PM
or maybe just have it wrapped again as is scraped since it is just plastic and not metal?

Old 07-30-2018, 08:22 PM
I thought I heard on the 911 forum they were saying the plastic underpanel of the bumper was replaceable for like couple hundred bucks rather than having to respray entire bumper isnt it?

Old 07-30-2018, 09:48 PM
I cant speak for 911, dont own that model.
I have 2011 turbo. When I took the bumper off, it is all one piece. All of it. If you have turbo as well, then you are in same boat as me. If your model is different, the bumper can look different due to design for different models.
On aftermarket, you can buy a hard plastic piece and install on bottom of bumper. When you ground the bumper, it will hit the plastic, saving the bumper from scratches, but you lower the car by about 1/3 of an inch. Cost was about 350 from what i remember.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:07 PM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
I have same issue on my 2016 front bumper, scrape the bottom. I sanded it, my color is Basalt black metallic , bought the spray can from ebay. Jack it up, covered it and sprayed without removing the bumper. wont be able to see it since it is low 6" off the ground. Will get over with ... LOL ... remember wear a mask and goggle ...

Old 07-30-2018, 11:21 PM
Whatever color you want to wrap later, paint with cucurcucurrcucurcucurrecucurcucurrcucurcucurrencuc urcucurrcucurcucurrecucurcucurrcucurcucurrent color now. You can fix later if you want.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:01 AM
touch up paint ok?

Old 07-31-2018, 01:17 AM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
touch up is OK. hope you can do it with a tiny bottle. I did that too. can you see the scrape from the bottom when you are in the front look straight at? I bet you can't see it, it is too low. avoid steep driveway, avoid the scrape I parked on the street or do it slowly drive it in at side angle. LOL ... avoid parking too close in front of the curb block in the parking lot.

Sparay can https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Porsche...LH_TitleDesc=0

you can use spray paint to spray the body of your key, plastic piece if you have left over.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:51 AM
Paul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond repute
Consider cleaning up the scrap then wrapping the lower part of the front bumper. You could use gloss, satin, or carbon vinyl wrap. If you scrap it again, at least you have a minor amount of protection and can then replace the vinyl. I have yet to find a used Panamera that doesn't have a least some minor scratching under the front nose. Its not a big deal as long as you can't see it! You could probably double layer vinyl just under the edge too.

They also make cheap black and carbon rubber trim you could add (almost like a garage door seal) that would give you a skid plate in a sense. They actually look factory if you take your time installing them and are cheap to replace. They have the added benefit of providing a scrap warning before you're actually hitting something as well....

Old 08-07-2018, 10:25 AM
mziegler38 is on a distinguished road
I have gotten into the habit of raising the car suspension level prior to riding up inclines. This after scraping up the bottoms of my two older Pannys.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:28 PM
Paul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond repute
We paid for the air suspension so use it.

On inclines that I am not familiar with, I raise it up too. I also use it on speed bumps.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: panamera front bumper question