6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Panamera (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/panamera-75/)
-   -   Things to consider/look for in a PPI (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/panamera/423275-things-consider-look-ppi.html)

C4Sbeebe 08-09-2018 08:18 AM

Things to consider/look for in a PPI

I'm about to make the jump to a Panamera - currently looking at a '12 4S and a '15 4S - and was curious what the group would suggest are the most common/most important items to focus on when having a PPI done. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

C4Sbeebe 08-10-2018 11:05 AM

i was really just looking for achilles heel type stuff, panamera specific, even the recalls i should be aware of. i'm doing my own research also. i've been through tons of PPIs - not looking for the typical 'car' stuff.
didn't want to seem uninformed.

skiracer13 08-14-2018 12:30 PM

High pressure fuel pump, Cam adjuster bolt recall/retrofit, air suspension compressor (if equipped) and front end creaks and growns seem to be the common items that need attention on these cars. As many here will tell you, try to find an example that hasn't changed hands too many times and hasn't been obviously abused.

I entered ownership 18 months ago and so far it's been a great experience, despite having to replace the original air compressor that was installed in 2009. My local Porsche dealer took car of the cam adjuster bolts several months ago which the SA claimed would have been a ~$4k service expense if I had to pay for it. Good luck w/ your search!

C4Sbeebe 08-14-2018 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by skiracer13 (Post 4733018)
High pressure fuel pump, Cam adjuster bolt recall/retrofit, air suspension compressor (if equipped) and front end creaks and growns seem to be the common items that need attention on these cars. As many here will tell you, try to find an example that hasn't changed hands too many times and hasn't been obviously abused.

I entered ownership 18 months ago and so far it's been a great experience, despite having to replace the original air compressor that was installed in 2009. My local Porsche dealer took car of the cam adjuster bolts several months ago which the SA claimed would have been a ~$4k service expense if I had to pay for it. Good luck w/ your search!

question, how did you get your local dealer to cover the cam adjuster bolt issue? as a recall issue that they were still responsible, yes?

were fuel pumps ever covered by dealers - seems to be one of the most common issues? not sure if that ever became a recall issue or not.

other info you provided is helpful. thanks.

dudecs 08-14-2018 03:26 PM

See this thread about recalls. Any Porsche dealer can/will address a recall that is applicable to your vehicle.

skiracer13 08-14-2018 08:34 PM

What 'dudecs' said: call your dealer w/ the VIN and they'll run a check. I was able to confirm that the prior high-pressure fuel pump recall work had already been done on my vehicle and when the cam adjuster recall hit earlier this year they set me up w/ an app't and complimentary shuttle. I didn't mid covering the cost of the air compressor and since I live in a colder winter climate I paid a little extra ($150?) for a (firmware?) upgrade that supports operation at -27 degrees.