6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Panamera (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/panamera-75/)
-   -   Oil bar (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/panamera/424065-oil-bar.html)

Gomez59 09-05-2018 06:03 PM

Oil bar

Hello. I’m new to Porsche and this site, so I hope you all bare with me while I learn about this car I acquired. Was wondering if my oil bar being 1.9 at idle is normal for this vehicle? Oil temp around 220. Also, had oil changed about 500 miles ago. Min oil light came on. Only oil they had was 5w 30 synthetic. As it was 3:30 in the morning not a lot of places available. Any help with this car would be greatly appreciated
thank you
forgot to mention. 2012 panamera 3.6 v6

konigstiger 09-06-2018 09:28 AM

I have a ‘10 4S and it idles at around 2 bar. 2.5 bar under load. I also got the low oil level error after an oil change. Topping it off fixed it. Just remember the 5 levels on the oil level gauge total 1 liter.

cerbomark 09-06-2018 05:00 PM

The min light shouldn't t be coming on after 500 miles on a new oil change unless whoever changed it did not fill properly.
I would nt worry about the 1.9 at idle ... they drop pretty low with hot oil at idle.
So you know 5-30w is the wrong oil (0-40 or 5-40) but a little won t hurt anything.

Gomez59 09-08-2018 09:26 PM

I appreciate all the info. Thank you!

Gomez59 09-08-2018 09:27 PM

Good to know. Thank you very much!

ciaka 09-13-2018 11:35 AM

yes, most already chimed in. 5W30 is not what I would use, but would not hurt the car short term.
Next oil change, use 5W40. I use castrol edge, had great experience with my other porsche and this one too.
Monitor oil as Panameras do consume it, and it varies car to car. Yours should consume less (non turbo).
Make sure it it topped up at least once a week, more often if you drive a lot.

Every segment of oil stick on cluster display, is about one glass full or 250cc.
If you monitor often, you can catch oil when it jumps down one notch. Then you know you are at top of the lower level of oil.
You add in increments of 250cc for each segment. Then, you can measure how many miles it takes to lose one segment. Gives you good estimate for next time.
Good luck. Chose a great car.

fullmetaljacket 01-25-2019 02:25 AM

Quick question on segment of oil sticks on cluster display

Originally Posted by ciaka (Post 4738464)
yes, most already chimed in. 5W30 is not what I would use, but would not hurt the car short term.
Next oil change, use 5W40. I use castrol edge, had great experience with my other porsche and this one too.
Monitor oil as Panameras do consume it, and it varies car to car. Yours should consume less (non turbo).

Every segment of oil stick on cluster display, is about one glass full or 250cc.
If you monitor often, you can catch oil when it jumps down one notch. Then you know you are at top of the lower level of oil.
You add in increments of 250cc for each segment. Then, you can measure how many miles it takes to lose one segment. Gives you good estimate for next time.

Hi Ciaka. Thanks for this post and sorry for resurrecting this thread. your information on the 250cc per segment is interesting and enlightening. I recently got a low oil warning and really got worried that I had 0 engine oil. I just want to confirm my interpretation and theory with you. Please see the picture below. Since the PanameraS takes about 9 liters of oil, do I still have 8 liters left if this happens again?

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...463d6d679e.jpg

AluminumMistress 01-25-2019 06:40 AM

Yes red doesn’t mean you’re out of oil but close to a liter low. I remember freaking out when I first got my 4S and it showed red on the highway going back home. Not catastrophic but should top up ASARP.

ciaka 01-25-2019 01:12 PM

That is exactly correct. Your interpretation on the picture is correct. Each of the 4 squares on the 'dip stick' picture represent 250cc each, for total of 1L or about 1 qt.
If your car gives you warning showing oil level below the 4 squares (colored little triangle), you are down about 1 quart. This is because engine parts need proper lubrication on all moving components, and specific levels are needed to ensure oil goes everywhere it needs to.
You can still have a lot of oil inside the oil pan, and still be causing harm to your engine, if level is low enough to prevent proper distribution inside engine.
I would always ensure that oil level is at top of upper most square and color of the gauge is always green. Check oil once a week or so and you will do well. My rule is I add 250cc any time I notice the level go down exposing upper most 4th square (my cars is a PTT - which drink oil more).
Good job being interested in your car. The more interest you show, the less hassle you will have later on fixing. Take care and let us know if you have any questions.

Originally Posted by fullmetaljacket (Post 4762599)
Hi Ciaka. Thanks for this post and sorry for resurrecting this thread. your information on the 250cc per segment is interesting and enlightening. I recently got a low oil warning and really got worried that I had 0 engine oil. I just want to confirm my interpretation and theory with you. Please see the picture below. Since the PanameraS takes about 9 liters of oil, do I still have 8 liters left if this happens again?

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...463d6d679e.jpg

ciaka 01-25-2019 01:16 PM

Just to provide a good guideline for oil pressure, page 100 of the user manual states what pressure should be at a given rpm of engine.
You can save the link and have online copy of the manual for future reference. I use it often.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...e0762f3459.jpg

Originally Posted by Gomez59 (Post 4737206)
Hello. I’m new to Porsche and this site, so I hope you all bare with me while I learn about this car I acquired. Was wondering if my oil bar being 1.9 at idle is normal for this vehicle? Oil temp around 220. Also, had oil changed about 500 miles ago. Min oil light came on. Only oil they had was 5w 30 synthetic. As it was 3:30 in the morning not a lot of places available. Any help with this car would be greatly appreciated
thank you
forgot to mention. 2012 panamera 3.6 v6

LGARCIA 01-25-2019 01:57 PM

This is really good to know. I keep an eye on mine since this is the way to check it and the car is new to me (2015 4S). Right now mine is green and is missing 2 bars, my next oil change shows 2,400 miles left or 60 days. Should I add oil at this point or let it be?

ciaka 01-28-2019 09:16 AM

I would add half a quart now, your oil change will come in few weeks likely, but why get engine running hotter when you can spend 3 or 4 bucks to keep it running properly. Oil needs certain level to keep components well lubricated. Less oil means oil goes into fewer spots, and/or less oil goes into those spots for lubrication.
My rule of thumb, I always keep 5 quarts in garage for top ups, etc. Same with coolant (keep 1 jug mixed Pentofrost E with distilled water 50/50 for southern places), and 1 can brake fluid ATE200, and a can of PDCC oil CHF202 or CHF11S (same stuff).

Originally Posted by LGARCIA (Post 4762738)
This is really good to know. I keep an eye on mine since this is the way to check it and the car is new to me (2015 4S). Right now mine is green and is missing 2 bars, my next oil change shows 2,400 miles left or 60 days. Should I add oil at this point or let it be?

fullmetaljacket 02-22-2019 08:30 PM

Hello! Just sharing my experience. Mine has recently showed 1 bar below max so I followed ciaka's advice: to Add 250cc of oil for a single bar down. That was pretty accurate! Oil level is back to max! Thanks!

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...78ac75a670.jpg

MM305 02-27-2021 08:21 AM

sorry for posting here 2 years latter :-/

Originally Posted by ciaka (Post 4738464)

First of all sorry for posting in this 2 years old thread :o but I was very curious to understand why using 5W30 is an issue (if you don’t mind me asking)

The long story behind my concern is that my first panny 2013 4s used a lot of oil and the Porsche dealership I was using at the time was pretty confident that we should use 0W40 (can’t recall if that’s also what I found in the manual too).

Now I have a 2018 base, smaller engine and consumes ~ .25l every 1k miles.I’m using
another Porsche dealership now and they are confident that 5W30 is the right oil to use.
Then in the manual (pic attached) I find that I should use neither 0W40 nor 5W30 for base models and that 5W30 could actually be used for hybrid models :confused:
i know I can mix oils specially if they are not only synthetic but also mobile1 and the viscosity is somewhat around the acceptable numbers but I am trying to understand what is the best for my car..

My worry on topping up with 0W40 (on top of the current 5W30 the engine has) is that I believe the 0W40 is lighter and could be consumed faster and start diluting the 5W30, not sure if the engine would be “happier” with lighter oil...
Especially because I’m located in Florida so the weather is extremely hot and I do drive at high speeds (as much as my newer smaller engine, the traffic, and radars allow me to).

Thank you very much in advance for your help

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...8354c5f79.jpeg
Pic from the manual

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...c0a5bf5220.jpg

ciaka 02-27-2021 11:57 AM

I can't speak about Pan base, since I don't own one.
I own the Pan TT.
Using 5W30 is not an issue per say. 5W30, 0W40, 5W40.
They all meet the Oan requirements from design standpoint.
That choice will largely be to individual user, how they dri e the car, where they live, etc.
I live in hot climate. Our summer lasts from end of March until mid November ber, then we have spring from November until March.
For me, I don't rude it hard often at all, but want more protection at cold, since my car is always in hot weather. So my car starts are often in 80s or 90s. If I use 0W40, the zero offers less protection in climates that are already hot. When the car is cold. So your oil is more watery in hot weather even when car is cold. Bumping to 5W40 gives you little thicker oil when car is cold.
Thus my choice for using 5W40.
The 40 is same number vs 0W40.
5W30 will offer same pritection in cold car conditions, but oil will be thinner when car is hot and running.
If you already live in hot climate and car gets hoget it makes sense to use little thicker oil for when car is fully heated.
that's all. No one 'this is bad oil answer. Only slight modificatio s based on conditions of where car is and how its used.
Hope I clarified a little more here. Thanks.