Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small oil leak under car

Old 03-12-2023, 09:57 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Small oil leak under car

So, I do my oil changes. Don't trust others to do it right.
Last time, wasvoressed for time. Took it to indy porsche shop.
Did it no problem.
Get car home, drive around about 2 months or so. One day, found small oil drip.
thought it was wife's car. Wiped off, no worries. Few days later same.

Long story short. Was panamera. Drop its covers...find a mess. Months of dripping.
had to go clean entire under carriage.

Mi look close after clean, it's coming out of drain plug.
By now im cursing hoping they didn't strip the pan somehow.
Replaced washer. Still dripped (washer was copper and i always use genuine aluminum washers i bought).
so now really worried. Have a spare old plus which I used to insert while inspecting the one in car. You can remove plug and lose only about quarter of a glass. Did so. Low and vehold, drain plug had a crack. Ypu couldnt even see it unless looking under magnification.
anticipating I bought a plug.
After replacing, tightened to 30Nm. After a ride, dry. Im so happy.

Here is the plug....very easy to crack it. so when you do oil change, change plug too ...you may neve4 know if cracked, and will end up with a mess.
suffice to say, never going to that indy. I am much better.

Old 03-26-2023, 04:49 AM
jzchen will become famous soon enough
I just dragged myself out yesterday morning and changed the oil in ours. (Sigh) it took a long time…

Old 03-26-2023, 09:22 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Nothing better than give new blood to the panamera.

Old 03-26-2023, 12:24 PM
riden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura aboutriden has a spectacular aura about
I replace the plug every other oil change, as a precaution. (Aluminum is prone to cracking so it might not be 100% your Indy’s fault.) Just bring him a new plug next time.

Old 03-27-2023, 11:29 AM
jzchen will become famous soon enough
For the 2nd time I incorrectly added too little oil. Last time it was below minimum this time it was at minimum. When I opened the filler cap I could see oil vapor/steam coming out. I recall seeing this with Mobil 1 Euro FS 0W-40 and now Liqui Moly Synthoil Energy A40 0W-40. Anybody NOT seeing this when they open the cap? I would like to switch oils. I took the used oil to my local FedEx and they refused saying it’s hazardous goods. It costs $6x to ship I’m not saving enough shipping it back to FCP Euro (my wife says). Maybe I’ll try Red Line 0W-40 next time.

Regarding the plug I’ve changed the oil several times now, last time May or early June of last year. I always change the gasket (looks Aluminum) and only replaced the plug the first time I changed the oil as the hex hole was damaged by someone prior.

Last edited by jzchen; 03-27-2023 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-27-2023, 12:50 PM
Depending on where you live, I would keep with 5W40.
I no longer use Mobil1. From racing I see Castrol synthetic work awesome and absorb heat greatly.
So use only castrol 5w40 on all my Porsches.
1st number increasing, increases thickness at room temp.
2nd number is thickness at operating temp.
Stay with 40 as 2nd number. If you live in north states, use slightly thinner (as its colder at room temp). In TX using 5w40 is a good bet all the time.
Putting 9Qt into PTT still gets you 1Qt shy of full. So always put in 9.5Qt, then drive, then top up. The car takes 10Qt oil.

Old 04-03-2023, 07:18 AM
Marc13190 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi is there possibility have level on dashboard when i put oil in the engine ?
I think to disconnect connector on hood lock and after close the hood and drive 10 kms. Then i can open hood and have oil level information on the dashboard. do you think that is ok ?

Last edited by Marc13190; 04-03-2023 at 07:22 AM.
Old 04-03-2023, 07:49 AM
Sorry not understanding your question well.
Let me stab at answer.
- as soon as you open hood, you wont have access to engine oil level. You have to check oil level before you open hood. Each green square is 250cc (1 glass) of oil to add. You should be at top of the green (4 green squares)
1 suare missing: add 250cc
2 squares missing: add 500cc, etc

- after you add oil, you close the hood but then have to drive 10 miles or so, to get oil level to display again on cluster. So after you top up, you must take it for a ride to see if you are full
What I do is ( add more than needed - for example, 1 green square missing, I add 500cc). Then after driving for a while, it eventually gets lower and one square is missing again. I immediately top up THE PROPER AMOUNT. This time, the level is proper.
After that, I always add 1 square as soon as I notice it (I check the cluster a couple times a week religiously). In reality it is ok to drive with 1 or 2 squares lower, still safe level. I just personally do not like doing that.