Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone had the cam tensioner bolts replaced by dealer without car covered by recall?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 08:56 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Anyone had the cam tensioner bolts replaced by dealer without car covered by recall?

Just wondering if folks go to their dealer and have their cam bolt tensioners replaced under recall, even if their cars are not covered by the recall itself.
My car not covered under recall, but I keep worrying because I can hear the cam chains while the car is running. Told it is normal noise but i refuse to accept as such.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:07 AM
skiracer13 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ciaka
Just wondering if folks go to their dealer and have their cam bolt tensioners replaced under recall, even if their cars are not covered by the recall itself.
My car not covered under recall, but I keep worrying because I can hear the cam chains while the car is running. Told it is normal noise but i refuse to accept as such.
Based on what my SA told me, you should budget ~$4k for this job if you're going to pay for it. Not sure if it's fortunate for me or not, but my car was covered and the work was successfully completed.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:40 AM
tallpaul is on a distinguished road
My car was covered under the recall, and I think it was $3,600 "quoted" cost that was covered.

However, my cam/chain is pretty noisy even after the recall. So it is possible the noise is not necessarily something to be concerned with.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:49 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Thats exactly what I wonder. Is the noise itself an indicator of cam tensioner bolts issue?
Heard other panameras was ith noisy chains, cayennes at ec noisy too. So if you know, chime in.

Originally Posted by tallpaul
My car was covered under the recall, and I think it was $3,600 "quoted" cost that was covered.

However, my cam/chain is pretty noisy even after the recall. So it is possible the noise is not necessarily something to be concerned with.

Old 11-15-2018, 04:05 AM
Yankee is on a distinguished road
When i got the recall notice i heard the chain noise thru the oil fill and thought it wasn't normal. Porsche said to wait for parts. And i waited more than 3 moths for them to produce bolts! Dealer did the recall and reported chain noise even after the work.Its getting noisier. So, i'm not sure if the bolts themselves cause this but mine's not under warranty and the dealer could be pulling a fast one on me. I'm going to call Porsche cust service and see what they say about the chain noise being a result of the cam bolts issue. Could be the tensioner but not sure. Engine is very rough and my start/stop deactivates often which i read is an indication of something in the engine. Worst case, I might just do the chain, guides and tensioner myself and sleep well. Car is '12 P4 at 59k.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:14 AM
tallpaul is on a distinguished road
Interesting. My is noisy but I have no rough idle issues. Also, if the timing chain was so far off to cause rough idle, it should also impact performance. The timing being off will likely cause knock and timing retardation. It should be fairly noticeable in the driving. I'll check this weekend and see if Durametric has any tools for reporting on the timing or knock.

Originally Posted by Yankee
When i got the recall notice i heard the chain noise thru the oil fill and thought it wasn't normal. Porsche said to wait for parts. And i waited more than 3 moths for them to produce bolts! Dealer did the recall and reported chain noise even after the work.Its getting noisier. So, i'm not sure if the bolts themselves cause this but mine's not under warranty and the dealer could be pulling a fast one on me. I'm going to call Porsche cust service and see what they say about the chain noise being a result of the cam bolts issue. Could be the tensioner but not sure. Engine is very rough and my start/stop deactivates often which i read is an indication of something in the engine. Worst case, I might just do the chain, guides and tensioner myself and sleep well. Car is '12 P4 at 59k.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:48 PM
I agree. Mine is not noisy, buy I do hear sound as if chain contacts. It could just be chain noise as it travels on cam gearing.
I do not have performance deterioration. No errors. So please, anyone, chime in with more info.

Originally Posted by tallpaul
Interesting. My is noisy but I have no rough idle issues. Also, if the timing chain was so far off to cause rough idle, it should also impact performance. The timing being off will likely cause knock and timing retardation. It should be fairly noticeable in the driving. I'll check this weekend and see if Durametric has any tools for reporting on the timing or knock.

Old 03-28-2019, 07:35 PM
Kamilp is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi
I got 2012 pan4
I saw someware on this forum , someone post pics of cam adjuster bolts . You can clearly c aluminum ones got security dimple in the middle and steel are just regular torx , but when I looked to oil fill hole my screws looks like regular torx( steel ) but wen I put magnet to them it won’t stick ...
Any one knows what the hell ?

Old 04-02-2019, 07:57 AM
Paul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond reputePaul Rathjen has a reputation beyond repute
If this is something that happens on every first gen, why are only certain cars covered by a recall - this seems ridiculous.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:06 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Paul Rathjen
If this is something that happens on every first gen, why are only certain cars covered by a recall - this seems ridiculous.
I believe it is only the V8 cars. I may be wrong but the letter I received only listed Cayenne and Panamera models that have a V8.

Old 04-02-2019, 05:31 PM
Deezflip is on a distinguished road
I guess maybe you meant to ask if there is anyone that wasnt under the recall, but had it checked anyways only to discover that the bolts were still the faulty aluminum ones?

...cause im curious myself on how thorough these recalls are

Last edited by Deezflip; 04-02-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 06:47 PM
LouDA is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Deezflip
I guess maybe you meant to ask if there is anyone that wasnt under the recall, but had it checked anyways only to discover that the bolts were still the faulty aluminum ones?

...cause im curious myself on how thorough these recalls are
Oh they're thorough... mine took ages for the AH08 recall.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:52 PM
happens only on certain vin series. There is a vin tool to tell you if your car is affected. You can also check on your own, but no guarantee dealer will cover expenses.
VIN SEARCH TOOL

Originally Posted by Paul Rathjen