6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Panamera (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/panamera-75/)
-   -   mobil1 5W30 for pan4? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/panamera/428898-mobil1-5w30-pan4.html)

dougcayenne 02-17-2019 11:20 PM

mobil1 5W30 for pan4?

bought an extra mobil1 5W30 for my Cayenne. Now I change the oil today for my 2016 pan4. So i decide to use mobil1 5W30. Normally, I always use 0W40 as recommended.
Would it be any problem with 5W30? I am in bay area temp is cold 32F at night while I am sleeping but day time driving is around 40-55F. LOL ...
Thank you for your feedback ...

knowspin 02-18-2019 06:43 AM

I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem, but I would stick with what Porsche recommends. They probably spent countless hours in research to determine what weight oil works best in the engine.

ciaka 02-18-2019 08:26 AM

I would second, although probably would do it, the recommendation from porsche is to have 40 grade oil at temperature, which means 30 at temperature may not be enough to properly lubricate engine.
You can get 5W40 Castrol Edge full synthetic, from Autozone, for 30 bucks/5L. They have this often, Get 10 at a time and you will be set.

dougcayenne 02-18-2019 09:51 AM

Thank you all for the feedback. I bought extra mobile1 5W30 from costco. It is a mistake on my part to use it for my wife pan4. I probably drain it out next few months and use 0w40.

ciaka 02-18-2019 07:44 PM

FWIW, try to use 5W40 as it is more protective at start up time.
The first number (lower of the two), is oil's protection when oil is cold (room temp).
The 2nd number (after W), is oil's protection when it is at operating temperature (hot).
So 5W30 means at room temp oil viscosity is like weight 5 oil, while the it performs as weight 30 oil when hot.
Porsche typically used 0W40 with Cayennes and on, but after few years, they started recommending 5W40, as the weight 0 did not seem to work as well as weight 5 in cold starts (even if you were to feel it, you would notice how runny the 0W40 is).
Most folks I know with their pigs, use 5W40 and I believe Porsche itself is using that weight as the recommended oil.
Go to Autozone, and you can find 5W40 synthetic for good price (they run those specials every week for 5L - under 30 bucks).

Another piece I was able to find over the years while owning the Cayenne Turbo and now adding Panamera Turbo, is that there were studies done on oils and of them all (main ones Valvoline, Pennzoil, Castrol, Mobil1), it was castrol that absorbed and protected best (the full synthetic edge).
That is why I use it exclusively in my CTT and the PTT as well. That is my recommendation, but you own the car so you should make the proper final call.
If you already have the Pennz full synth 5W30, I am sure if you top up adding to the full synthetic oil you already have in engine, you will be ok. Many years ago, mixing oil brands was a no no, but few years ago, they all started using common chemicals and additives, which makes it easy to mix without adverse effects. Just stick to synthetic with synthetic mixing, and non synthetic with non synthetic (some cars using non synthetic oils, when you add synthetic, they actually start leaking via gaskets as the oil is not stopped by aging seals anymore).
Take care buddy.

Originally Posted by dougcayenne (Post 4766787)
... I probably drain it out next few months and use 0w40.

dougcayenne 02-19-2019 12:34 AM

Ciaka,
I always learns new thing from you buddy. Yes, I always use mobile1 synthetic 0w40 for my Cayenne and PAN4. I always buy the mobile1 synthetic 0w40 from wallmart. Best price i know so far. I just found out that my 2014 Cayenne V6 uses 5W30. So I was at mountain view Costco last week, and bought few cases with promotion costco coupon and had some extra bottles at home. I did a oil change for Cayenne 2 wks ago and last week I did a PAN4 with the intention to get rid off the oil in the garage. LOL ... Walmart also has mobile1 5w40 $24.14 for 1 gal.
Yes, for sure I try 5W40 even though it is indicated for Porsche GTS and Turbo. My Pan Hybrid is 5w30 as recommended.
many thanks, buddy.

ciaka 02-19-2019 02:08 PM

Great to know, I am learning from you too. I am not sure what they call for use in a Pan4 car. Always good idea to follow what they recommend. For my turbos, they initially called for 0W40, then started switching to 5W40.
If they recommend 5W30 for hybrid, just stick with it. You can do some research on various forums to see who has done analysis on oil for your car, at different viscosities. For the cayenne and panamera turbo, multiple peple analyzed oil and the 5W40 provided greatest protection. That was backed up by independent testers on these cars too.
Since panamera hybrid is newer vehicle, do some searching online to see if more extensive testing has been done on oil for these cars. Contaminants found from engine wear would be present and the analysis would show this too, as well as any oil breakdown due to temperature variances. Thanks for letting me know about the hybrid, good to know too. Take care.

Originally Posted by dougcayenne (Post 4766971)
Ciaka,
I always learns new thing from you buddy. Yes, I always use mobile1 synthetic 0w40 for my Cayenne and PAN4. I always buy the mobile1 synthetic 0w40 from wallmart. Best price i know so far. I just found out that my 2014 Cayenne V6 uses 5W30. So I was at mountain view Costco last week, and bought few cases with promotion costco coupon and had some extra bottles at home. I did a oil change for Cayenne 2 wks ago and last week I did a PAN4 with the intention to get rid off the oil in the garage. LOL ... Walmart also has mobile1 5w40 $24.14 for 1 gal.
Yes, for sure I try 5W40 even though it is indicated for Porsche GTS and Turbo. My Pan Hybrid is 5w30 as recommended.
many thanks, buddy.