Considering ceramic coating and paint correction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 11:13 AM
DogWood will become famous soon enoughDogWood will become famous soon enough
good video comparing different DIY products
long but very well done

Old 03-02-2019, 10:52 PM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
Yes, there is another video from legit guy
Definitely a job I like to do in the spring during my time off ... well worth it. DIY. Save $ for a vacation. LOL ...

Old 03-07-2019, 08:06 PM
stealthn is on a distinguished road
Dog, that was a really good video, I would like to know how ceramics holds up to rocks versus wrap

Old 03-08-2019, 12:59 AM
dougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura aboutdougcayenne has a spectacular aura about
You tell me !!! I think it is easy to wash the car if you are in a rush ... LOL ... I don't see how I would pay $2k for details work in my SF bay area. Car Wrap is my top choice ...

Old 03-08-2019, 09:30 AM
DogWood will become famous soon enoughDogWood will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by stealthn
Dog, that was a really good video, I would like to know how ceramics holds up to rocks versus wrap
No first hand experience, but from everything I've read there is no comparison, the wrap is going to offer more protection.

the ceramic coating is going to transfer the energy of a rock into the paint -> chip
the film will absorb the energy -> no chip

Old 03-08-2019, 11:13 AM
NormalFellow will become famous soon enough
Finally have time to do the post on specifically ceramic coating the Panameras.... Ill take the pics right now, maybe even a video... Its dummy proof, haha.. brb this afternoon

Old 03-08-2019, 11:14 AM
NormalFellow will become famous soon enough
CIAKA.... Dude, to save you some cash, I can totally send you my DA polisher, pads, etc. so that you can do yours and you can send it back when your finished

Old 03-08-2019, 06:38 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Serious?
Dont I have to have lots of experience to make this done well?
Just intimidated I guess.

I do have a DA polisher from Harbor Freight (it was like 70 bucks). Have couple sets of 6" pads (white, black yellow, orange, blue, green).
Also have Chemical Guys V36 polish and V38 finish, and the VSS two in one finish.
Have one backing pad that came with the polisher.

I sure could love to save a thousand bucks on this. What do you think? I would love to talk to you maybe on cell to get some courage and ask a million questions.
Let me know if you are ok with that. You can pm me with some details for contact if you are ok with that.

Originally Posted by Alex Keleman
CIAKA.... Dude, to save you some cash, I can totally send you my DA polisher, pads, etc. so that you can do yours and you can send it back when your finished

Old 03-08-2019, 09:43 PM
Ciaka, I believe you can do it and post of DIY. You have fixed the front and rear suspension at ease. That required a lot skills and knowledge. clean and wax are part of manual labor and patience. Perhaps, you may need an alarm for every few minutes when you do a square section. LOL ...
$2.2K for ceramic here in the bay area. You know you lived here before ... I have to figure it out to DIY. LOL ...

Old 03-08-2019, 09:44 PM
Ciaka, I believe you can do it and post of DIY. You have fixed the front and rear suspension at ease. That required a lot skills and knowledge. clean and wax are part of manual labor and patience. Perhaps, you may need an alarm for every few minutes when you do a square section. LOL ...
$2.2K for ceramic here in the bay area. You know you lived here before ... I have to figure it out to DIY. LOL ...

Old 03-08-2019, 09:51 PM
Alex,

That's awesome for your Great work. I need to save few $K here for this job, it is so expensive in my bay area SF. I can re-pain the front every few years for the same amount $ for ceramic, it does not make any sense to me. Wrapper may be my best option. I would love to DIY and save some $. send you a bottle of wine for appreciation, buddy. LOL ...

Old 07-08-2019, 06:22 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Well, I had my car paint correction done.
Was multi step to wash, decon the paint, then multiple steps to get the paint correction done.
After that, they applied ceramic coat on the car (paint, wheels, windows, etc - although this ceramic coat for these surfaces is specific for them in some way).
They had my car in shop for 5 days total (I was not in hurry and wanted it done right). One thing I can say, the black looks amazing in sun and especially in sunset lighting.
As they promised, they took cash, all $1300 of it. I am very happy. The guy runs a small shop, was working on it himself, in controlled environment. I was able to see the car in all stages of 'done'.
Confident I could do most of this, but the equipment needed would have been lots of money spent too. In all, job done. Cant wait to wash and drool over it.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:17 AM
Bobby Buggs is an unknown quantity at this point
Way too much work for me to do my self. Not to mention all the 2nd guessing of myself I would do along the way would drive me crazy. My simple rule, do the things your good at and let others do they the things they are good at.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:30 AM
skiracer13 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bobby Buggs
Way too much work for me to do my self. Not to mention all the 2nd guessing of myself I would do along the way would drive me crazy. My simple rule, do the things your good at and let others do they the things they are good at.
While I am no wrench and need to depend on my Indy mechanic for any type of repairs, I am very comfortable polishing and cleaning my cars. I recently polished the PTT and applied 3 coats of ceramic and the car came out great. These ceramic products are so easy to apply that even a caveman can do it!

Last edited by skiracer13; 07-08-2019 at 07:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-08-2019, 08:36 AM
I chose to go with a pro because I wanted to ensure the finished paint correction is flawless and uniform. I do agree ceramic application is quite easy. However doing a proper paint correction requires many tools to complete properly. I looked into the process and there is a lot to the method, from proper wash and decon, to tools that are needed for cutting, polishing and shining. I spent a couple hours with the guy who showed me his tools and how he does it, and I can say, I am sure I would be able to do this to a level I would think is great, but having seen what he did, I can also say his process is far superior to the one I would be able to put out.
Compounding my situation were trim pieces that have super thin layers of clear on them, which I wanted to touch up too. There are additional special tools needed for that.
At the end of the day, I am happy, and that is what I was aiming at. Maybe one day I can get my skills up to match his mojo in the paint correction department.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Considering ceramic coating and paint correction