Sponsored by:

13 Black Panamera GTS Journal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 08:18 AM
RDR142 is on a distinguished road
13 Black Panamera GTS Journal

current day
Hey Guys (and Gals) finally getting around to starting journal of my journey with my first Porsche. My wife and I have named her Panidropper lol. I will say i love this car and have been impressed with form, quality, fit, finish, driving characteristics, basically everything with this car. i originally didn't care for the styling but later began to love the panamera. it is form and function, sport, luxury, performance, utility, class..... basically all cars wrapped into one amazing package. i also read a ton of reviews deciding between Turbo or GTS. My decision came down to driver feel/car feed back, sound and styling. i prefer the front bumper on the GTS. i felt that the turbo was crazy fast but felt numb in some instances with steering and suspension. i'm more of a handling/feel guy rather than a top speed person. i rarely even get wide open throttle if ever. i like torque and pull and curves but top speed is not my thing. i have a tuned X5M that has all the speed and motor that i need so this was more of a driver feel decision and basically get the same package as turbo just improved feel imo. i have total respect for turbo owners out there though, GTS just a better fit for me.

i had an extensive search locating the right car and options, it was down to two with same options (one certified and stock, one "mint" with fabspeed x-pipe and 22" AG wheels). There was about a $7k price difference. the x-pipe and wheels were on my to-do list so i chose that one and flew to pick it up. knowing what i know now, i would have gone certified route and done upgrades myself. i will just say that some peoples version of 'mint' and mine are nowhere near the same level. i was assuming as a porsche owner saying it was mint, that it was mint mint. as you will see in the thread it was far from mint but a little elbow grease and time and it's back to the way a porsche should be properly cared for imo. i did all the taboo things that you're not supposed to do (sight unseen, purchased on rainy day, etc.) when buying this car but my search had been long and i was committed at that point. Seller did come off the price several thousand to account for his poor description of condition of car.

Everyone's threads and links have been very helpful and inspirational along the way . and so my journey begins, hope you enjoy the thread and pics as i walk through a recount of bringing pani back!

p.s. we also call her bubble butt from time to time

Last edited by RDR142; 03-05-2019 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:19 AM

Day 1 - panic sets in about description of 'mint condition porsche'...... this was how car was delivered and purchased after lengthy negotiation. i did a quick once-over and realized a lot of it was just going to require elbow grease (soap and water for starters) but mechanically would need brakes all around. paint swirls were out of control even on a rainy day but had already planned to do paint correction before seeing car so was kind of a moot point. front bumper chipped to death. quickly went from mint car to a bit of a project.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:22 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Congrats! I love those wheels. Enjoy it in great health - these cars (GTS & Turbo) are such a blast to drive and really sound and feel phenomenal.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:26 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RDR142
front bumper chipped to death. quickly went from mint car to a bit of a project.
I'm surprised the original owner did not invest in PPF especially on a black car! Paint chips are terrible and I even have some above the PPF on the rear doors of my PTT. These cars curves really take a beating from road debris and if I ever purchase new -- I would wrap the entire the vehicle. People are surprised where chips occur when I show them.... (roof, A-pillars, behind wheels, etc...)

Old 03-05-2019, 09:35 AM
first stop...car wash - after a mixture of emotions (so excited but so concerned and confused over description) note to self: always get an independent inspection!
i was at least able to sleep that night once wheels and calipers were clean

Old 03-05-2019, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by XLR82XS
I'm surprised the original owner did not invest in PPF especially on a black car! Paint chips are terrible and I even have some above the PPF on the rear doors of my PTT. These cars curves really take a beating from road debris and if I ever purchase new -- I would wrap the entire the vehicle. People are surprised where chips occur when I show them.... (roof, A-pillars, behind wheels, etc...)
there was a bit of rash/chips on both rear doors in front of wheel opening that i wanted to PPF also but would have had to paint first. i ended up putting matte black vinyl over it to use as chip guard but also covered all the rash without having to paint and has a bit of the Porsche heritage look now.

P.S. i was surprised by a lot from the previous owner ugh! had talked to him in depth for a month before flying up to purchase. said only thing wrong was driver side mirror motor but other than that it is MINT.

Last edited by RDR142; 03-05-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Congrats! I love those wheels. Enjoy it in great health - these cars (GTS & Turbo) are such a blast to drive and really sound and feel phenomenal.
Thank you and agreed about the cars. not sure why anyone would have a need for anything else. my wife and i joke about getting another one.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by RDR142
P.S. i was surprised by a lot from the previous owner ugh! had talked to him in depth for a month before flying up to purchase. said only thing wrong was driver side mirror motor but other than that it is MINT.
MINT it obviously was not. Some people's idea of MINT is far from what an enthusiast would consider a great well-maintained example.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:48 AM
DogWood will become famous soon enoughDogWood will become famous soon enough
Beautiful car, nice work.]

depending on where you live you might want the PPF to go all the way up the hood, my car has PPF on the front to about 1/3 of the way up the hood and has chips in the paint above that

Old 03-05-2019, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by DogWood
Beautiful car, nice work.]

depending on where you live you might want the PPF to go all the way up the hood, my car has PPF on the front to about 1/3 of the way up the hood and has chips in the paint above that
thanks Dogwood. it's been a bit of a chore but i enjoy cars so i've enjoyed seeing it come back to it's present state.... didn't enjoy paying to get it that way though. ouch

Live in NC so it's not terrible other than all the construction on the interstate right now...disaster zone, land mines everywhere so i try to stay away and play on back roads. it already had a few small chips on hood so i only ended up with a 1/3 also

Old 03-05-2019, 12:40 PM
didn't realize how ironic or fitting the sign at hotel above my car was going to be before i headed home that day. it was literally a sign although i have to say i thoroughly enjoyed the 7 hr ride home and getting to know all the buttons, gadgets and sounds. the trip was easy and never once was uncomfortable at all. these cars are perfect for the long haul and have the gas tank to support it.

positivity is a superpower!

Move over Rover, Pani's home

Old 03-05-2019, 01:17 PM
JB's 996 is on a distinguished road
Congrats! she looks fenomenal! any other mods coming? any pics of the interior? cheers...

Old 03-05-2019, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by JB's 996
Congrats! she looks fenomenal! any other mods coming? any pics of the interior? cheers...
Thanks JB's. currently has fabspeed x-pipe may consider ecu tune at some point. definitely looking at diffuser that Flo has but other than that i may just take some time and enjoy it for a bit. i will get some pics of the interior posted, it has carmine interior package with carbon dash inserts and carbon multifunction steering wheel along with rear controls.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:43 PM
home for the first proper wash and lay claim to spot in garage. i started noticing the car had side rake in it at this point. left side seemed to sit a touch higher than the right... more to come on that later

Last edited by RDR142; 03-05-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:59 PM

big bootie b****es

home sweet home

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 13 Black Panamera GTS Journal