6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/)
-   Panamera (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/panamera-75/)
-   -   Front suspension issue? (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/panamera/429508-front-suspension-issue.html)

ScottDy 03-10-2019 01:41 PM

Front suspension issue?

I have a 2011 4S with 76000 miles on it. I am having a concern regarding noises an shuttering/vibrations when I turn a sharp left or right (almost full lock on the steering wheel). I know about the Kominski effect and while this is probably part of it, it's getting progressively worse. I just had the 80K service done and while the shop was doing that they found both lower control arms bearings worn and replaced both of them. They also replaced the power steering pump because it was leaking. So anyway, my point is the front suspension is in good shape, no other problems found. However, if I turn the steering wheel full left or right from a stop, like when backing out of a parking space, the car seems to drag itself sideways in the front and feels/sounds like the whole suspension is going to slide out from under the front end. I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the car with about 23K miles on them (see pic), I'm wondering if maybe they may be causing this issue as they get progressively less rubber on them. I have an appointment at one of my local Porsche dealers but it's not for a few more weeks and I'm really concerned about this issue.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...b9f4f50476.jpg
Thoughts or similar experiences?

stealthn 03-10-2019 08:32 PM

How are the half shafts? Any cuts in the boots? Can you tell if it’s more on the left or right?

ScottDy 03-11-2019 08:37 AM

I don't know for sure but since the lower control arms were just replaced I would believe that the technician would have inspected the rest of the suspension as well as the half shafts at that time. As far as one side worse that the other, I think so but can't remember which side it is, I'll have to check today.

ciaka 03-14-2019 10:31 PM

It may be either your axle or the hub bearing. Take your car in a tight circle, going one way several loops, then the other way. If you hear pulsating noise of any sort which increases with speed, your hub bearing or front axle (on side opposite to direction of loops), is going. Will be time to replace one or both. Hard to PD which one it will be, often shops replace both. In case of hub bearing, they often just tell you replace whole steering knuckle (part near 1000 bucks new plus labor few hours). However you can get the bearing pressed out and new one in, for less than 100 bucks plus another 100 bucks for the bearing brand new oem replacement. I have a DIY on the replacement of bearing grease, but did not get pics on pressing out at the shop. Took about 20 minutes. The front axle I believe I have DIY for that, not hard, takes time. New part will cost you 250 for oem. Another 4 hours to replace on your own. Plus alignment after that another 100. At shop you are looking about 4k for the job to do both. DIY, about 450 + alignment cost. I have lifetime alignment from firestone, can go there every day for as long as I own the car, no cost. Price of lifetime alignment is 170 I think. NO brainer. Got that for both the PTT and CTT.

Another question, how is your tire pressure? 42 front and 36 rear? If you over inflate or under inflate, your tires will wear, and alignment must be done with proper tire pressure too (talking about tenths of one degree differences).

Thats my bet, your bearing or front axle. Good luck.

ScottDy 03-19-2019 10:06 AM

Thanks for the info. I’m in Mexico so I haven’t tried your suggestions as yet. I have an appointment at one of the local Porsche Dealerships and I have an extended warranty on the car so I’m going to have them check it out and do any repairs needed. I will mention the possibilities you suggest. I did just put on new Michelin Pilot Super Sports and I have always run them at 41 front / 44 rear, why do you say 42/36?

ciaka 03-19-2019 11:37 AM

Panamera calculates pressure accounting for temperature.
Use your multifunction display TPMS feature to set your tire pressure, not a book or someone else's info.
Pressure depends on temp. Set it when car is cold. THIS THREAD shows cold pressure measured at 68˚F/20˚C.
Cold pressure will differ if temp is not 68˚F/20˚C.
Set the pressure using your multifunction display TPMS feature, Info screen, when car is standing still.
Once you set pressure to make TPMS read Zero for each tire, note that pressure and temp. That is your baseline.
As you drive, tires will heat up, so pressure will change. Your TPMS will compensate. When running and pull up to stop light, change the multifunction display to show TPMS, you will see your pressure. Switch it over to info screen again, you will see if it still says zero for each tire. Aim is to be at zero for each tire when you are driving.
My PTT pressure while running is 42 PSI front, 36 PSI rear.
My first thought is if you run 44 PSI rear, tire is over inflated. I spoke to Porsche dealer mechanics about the TPMS, they insisted not to rely on your inflator, theirs is much more sophisticated. I know few track friends who swear by it too.
Does not mean yours will be same. Just adjust to the zero mark and you will be fine. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by ScottDy (Post 4772345)
Thanks for the info. I’m in Mexico so I haven’t tried your suggestions as yet. I have an appointment at one of the local Porsche Dealerships and I have an extended warranty on the car so I’m going to have them check it out and do any repairs needed. I will mention the possibilities you suggest. I did just put on new Michelin Pilot Super Sports and I have always run them at 41 front / 44 rear, why do you say 42/36?

Targa79 03-19-2019 03:31 PM

I also have a 2010 4S. Same situation but the porsche dealer says that is the way it is with this type.

ScottDy 03-20-2019 08:13 AM

Are you saying your front suspension has the same problem, ie; loud clunks when turning to full lock left or right and the perception that the whole front suspension is going to collapse on itself? That can’t be normal, I know the engineering of the front end geometry causes the car to drag the outside tire sideways on tight turns but there shouldn’t be a noticeable shift in the steering that almost seems like it’s physically moving.

ScottDy 03-22-2019 09:33 AM

Ciara, I don’t understand the last part of your reply

“My first thought is if you run 44 PSI rear, tire is over inflated. I spoke to Porsche dealer mechanics about the TPMS, they insisted not to rely on your inflator, theirs is much more sophisticated. I know few track friends who swear by it too.
Does not mean yours will be same. Just adjust to the zero mark and you will be fine.”

What inflators are are you referring to? and what am I adjusting to the zero mark?

ciaka 03-22-2019 09:57 AM

To adjust pressure in your tires to proper pressure, use the mulfifunction display on the panamera.
Then change setting in the TPMS section, to show info, which shows you how many psi is needed in each tire, to get you to proper pressure (0psi means perfect, -xxx means you are under inflated, +xxx means you are over inflated).

SO:
  1. Go to thread I made HERE
  2. Determine
    1. Tire type
    2. Tire size
    3. Model of your car
    4. Locate how many PSI should be in your front and rear tires per chart
  3. Locate your multi function display in your panamerahttps://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6sp...77cba9a961.jpg
  4. Change the TPMS meter to Tire Info selection, to show how many PSI each tire needs to be filled properly (0PSI means tire inflated properly) - LIKE HERE
  5. Get your tire inflator out
  6. Make sure there is air in compressor
  7. Put inflator to each tire, and inflate or deflate until each tire reading on multi function display shows 0PSI (takes about 30 seconds to change reading so inflate all tires, wait then check display)
  8. WHEN PSI on each tire in multi function display says 0PSI, your tires are inflated properly
NOTE: If you mostly drive the car by yourself, no luggage or load in trunk, you should not be setting your car for full load, but partial load.
This will eliminate possibility your tires are not inflated properly, which can lead to premature tire wear.

Originally Posted by ScottDy (Post 4772886)
Ciara, I don’t understand the last part of your reply

“My first thought is if you run 44 PSI rear, tire is over inflated. I spoke to Porsche dealer mechanics about the TPMS, they insisted not to rely on your inflator, theirs is much more sophisticated. I know few track friends who swear by it too.
Does not mean yours will be same. Just adjust to the zero mark and you will be fine.”

What inflators are are you referring to? and what am I adjusting to the zero mark?

ScottDy 03-22-2019 10:03 AM

Thanks, I know most of that but never thought to use it to set proper inflation of the tires. Good to know, thank you!

ciaka 03-22-2019 11:07 AM

Porsche mechanics (several) all told me that subsystem was designed to do just that, and is more accurate than any gauge you can buy for pressure. AND it compensates for temperature changes too. So you do not have to worry about ambient temp. Only about how much to add or remove from system based on the multifunction display for TPMS.

Targa79 03-25-2019 03:14 PM

This happens once every few weeks, not regularly

ScottDy 03-26-2019 04:55 PM

It appears that replacing the tires solved this issue. The fronts were down to 2/32" and I guess the lack of tread was allowing the tire on the outside during sharp turns to drag more drastically than when the tire treads are not as worn. It seems odd to me but understandable.

skiracer13 03-28-2019 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by ScottDy (Post 4773741)
It appears that replacing the tires solved this issue. The fronts were down to 2/32" and I guess the lack of tread was allowing the tire on the outside during sharp turns to drag more drastically than when the tire treads are not as worn. It seems odd to me but understandable.

That's the easiest fix you could have had! I'm sure the car rides better and will be much safer for you w/ a fresh set of rubber. You could have spent a lot more trying to fix other things that had nothing to do w/ your issue.