Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

check engine message/ PASM message/ PSM message all at once?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 07:13 PM
newporsche is an unknown quantity at this point
check engine message/ PASM message/ PSM message all at once?

When starting up the vehicle today I got all 3 error messages in my display (check engine/PASM failure/PSM failure). I turned the vehicle off and turned it back on and the errors didnt come back on the display for the rest of the day.

I have noticed a rough idle recently, also I just started driving the vehicle after the battery had totally drained and I had a battery boost earlier this week. I am thinking it may be

1) bad battery that caused those messages,
2) perhaps ignition coils. It would explain the rougher idle but the thing is I just changed all the ignition coils at an indy mechanic 1 year ago (5000 km ago). Surely it can't have gone bad again so soon??? I changed the spark plugs about 2 yrs ago.

Any thoughts on this? starting the vehicle and getting these errors is a rarity or somewhat common? I had these types of errors before and it had to do with the ignition coils but i just changed them. Will a diagnostic tool explain why the messages came up today if i were to take it to a mechanic next week?

Old 03-16-2019, 07:27 PM
DogWood will become famous soon enoughDogWood will become famous soon enough
odds are its the battery - multiple unrelated errors are a good sign that it is the battery

Old 03-16-2019, 07:30 PM
well i agree but the battery was boosted 5 days ago, i would think it would have happened earlier if it was the battery.

i replaced the spark plugs two years ago, and the coils were replaced 1 year ago. I do get a lot of oil consumption maybe that decreased the spark plug life?

Old 03-16-2019, 07:52 PM
try pulling the codes, if it's misfiring it should show up.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:02 AM
ez1973 will become famous soon enoughez1973 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by DogWood
odds are its the battery - multiple unrelated errors are a good sign that it is the battery
Agreed.

These cars are can be very finicky when the battery is on the way out. How old is yours? You mentioned it was drained recently - what caused that? It might crank and start up fine, but a weak battery can cause all kinds of weird electrical “issues”.

Old 03-17-2019, 02:27 AM
NormalFellow will become famous soon enough
Dude.... Im pretty positive on this, but I'm 95% sure that your symptoms are showing signs of a Failing Air Oil Seperator... You can easily diagnose this by having the engine on and the hood open.... then unscrew the oil cap and see if it is getting a lot of suction sucking the oil cap back down.... If so, that is your problem and you can verify by popping off the top of the AOC valve on top of the Left Side Valve cover. Its that round top thing... When you pop it off, look for tears in the orange diaghram. thats where your oil consumption and rough idle is coming from most likley.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:45 AM
hey alex i will check for the AOC when i start it up today. unscrewing the oil cap when engine is on, how much suction am i suppose to be getting if the AOC is in good condition? as for your 2nd part of instructions i am not sure where the AOC is located and what part i pop off?

regarding the battery i am not sure how long its been on the vehicle but i will have it check when i go to mechanic, i dont think it is the battery though because when it was originally boosted it was working fine for the last few days before this happened and that wouldnt explain the rough idle

Old 03-17-2019, 01:21 PM
there should be some resistance to taking the cap off, but you shouldn't feel like you have to fight it.

the AOC is on the right side of the engine as you face it (oil fill cap on the left)

the other things are most likely the battery, just because it happened days after doesn't mean it's not related. get the battery checked.

Old 03-17-2019, 02:57 PM
ill get video clip of trying to take off oil cap today

Old 03-17-2019, 07:36 PM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Although you got the three codes all at once, dont panic.
Most often, one error triggers another to pop up.
Best way - pull codes from the car.

An example for your case.
If you are driving in sport mode for example, car senses something abnormal with the shocks (sensors show too low or something), while in sport mode everything is expected to be in spec. So the low shock gets flagged as an error, causing PASM error to come on to tell you, the driver, that in sport mode there is a problem that affects car.
Similarly, if a plug or coil gets flagged, a CEL will come on. If you are in sport mode while that happens, because proper plug/coil operation is required, you will also get PSM failure to tell you your car is not optimal for sport mode. So this one error in coil can cause few things to light up.
Based on what you said, I suspect there are a couple things going on. Could be your plugs/coils, could be something with suspension system (like PDCC pump if you have one). As I read your post in detail, you say coils and plugs changed recently. AOS could be it too. Without diagnostic tool you will get 20 different guesses. That is why diag tools are invaluable on any Porsche car. I would not recommend buying a Porsche without it. Shops will charge way too much to make it enjoyable unless you have 10k under your mattress every time something comes up.
Let us know how you do.

Originally Posted by newporsche
When starting up the vehicle today I got all 3 error messages in my display (check engine/PASM failure/PSM failure). I turned the vehicle off and turned it back on and the errors didnt come back on the display for the rest of the day.

I have noticed a rough idle recently, also I just started driving the vehicle after the battery had totally drained and I had a battery boost earlier this week. I am thinking it may be

1) bad battery that caused those messages,
2) perhaps ignition coils. It would explain the rougher idle but the thing is I just changed all the ignition coils at an indy mechanic 1 year ago (5000 km ago). Surely it can't have gone bad again so soon??? I changed the spark plugs about 2 yrs ago.

Any thoughts on this? starting the vehicle and getting these errors is a rarity or somewhat common? I had these types of errors before and it had to do with the ignition coils but i just changed them. Will a diagnostic tool explain why the messages came up today if i were to take it to a mechanic next week?

Last edited by ciaka; 03-17-2019 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:21 PM
So I checked the oil cap, I posted the link below... on the first attempt I couldn't even twist the oil cap it was so tight!! Then after few attempts to twist it it finally worked and then to pull cap off there was some suction.

is it normal that on subsequent attempts to twist and pull the cap off it's much easier? The video below is one of my subsequent attempts to pull the cap off so it was much easier to twist it off

I guess next thing to do is check the AOS (check the hose running into it for oil residue and also check by popping off the circular top off the aos like a previous poster mentioned?) Does the engine bay sound ok? Any thoughts appreciated.

https://youtu.be/mbxwUMZct3c

Old 03-21-2019, 10:39 PM
anyone think the suction on the cap in the video is too much or is it mean the aos is ok?

Old 03-21-2019, 11:08 PM
did the amount of suction change between the first time and the time you videoed?

the amount shown in the video appears to be fine

Old 03-21-2019, 11:32 PM
The first attempt I had trouble even turning the cap counterclockwise

I'll inspect the aos pipe and take off the circular cap from the aos to see if its damaged?

Old 03-22-2019, 09:04 AM
Sounds like a reasonable next step, I can't help you there as I've never done it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: check engine message/ PASM message/ PSM message all at once?