Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

Painting front Turbo grills

Old 02-23-2008, 05:26 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Painting front Turbo grills

Has anyone painted the front grills on their CTT? Was thinking of making them platinum silver (same as the side silver trim), my CTT is titanium.

Thoughts?

Old 02-23-2008, 06:52 PM
atlshaver has a spectacular aura aboutatlshaver has a spectacular aura about
I have seen it on a CTT and am not too fond of the look but many like it.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:51 PM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, I am kind of on the fence about it- was hoping to see some pics first if anyone has already done this.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:26 PM
hblocal is on a distinguished road
I've seen a few members actually just taking the grills off and it looks pretty cool and menacing. Can anyone thats done this post some pics too.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:29 PM
cali2121 is on a distinguished road
Actually not too fond of Cayenne owners doing this to their cars either. I would leave it alone. Just my opinion....

Old 02-24-2008, 07:11 PM
globalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond repute
I have a CS and did vinyl work to make the grill look bigger and the car gets tons of compliments from people who know what a car looks like

Old 02-24-2008, 07:48 PM
SLP
SLP is on a distinguished road
ive painted mine titanium silver to match the tequipment grills that porsche sells, they look awesome in my opinion!

Old 02-24-2008, 08:37 PM
ACE76 is on a distinguished road
Your gonna think I'm crazy, but I'm going to Home Depot and buying a can of heat resistant spray paint and doing the grilles myself...it comes out perfect and will only cost $20...3 coats should be perfect for plastic grilles like those....I've seen someone else's Cayenne who did it the same way and it looked great (no chipping or dulling)...there's no need to spend $250 to get it professionally painted...all you need is a steady hand.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:31 PM
paulycw is on a distinguished road
Here you go, my Titanium CTT w/Tequipment grills.

Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2008, 10:31 PM
globalm3- where's the pics, represent!
paulycw- thank you so much for the pic, perfect.
slp- what color / brand paint did you use?

ace76- sure this is easy to do at home with the right prep and paint.
use a good prep cleaner, then hit it with some spray adhesion promoter. If you want a permanent finish and less chips it really will help.
Get bumper/trim paint, it is not that expensive and provides a much nicer finish, plus has a higher quality spray head. And, there are 20 shades of silver or platinum available in bumper/trim paint- get it all at the local pep boys.
Take your time in a low dust area and do 10 light coats, it will come out looking like a jewel.

I've been painting plastic trim parts and rear badge logos like this for years and they always come out perfect / last for years. Just did my 911 logo on the back of my C2 in platinum and you'd swear it was minted at the factory in that color.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:43 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
i have the alu-look grill from factory. love the look.

Attached Images   
Old 02-25-2008, 05:39 AM
sheep911 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 20C4S
i have the alu-look grill from factory. love the look.

looks great. how would it look on a black CTT? anybody got pics? TIA

Old 02-25-2008, 06:04 AM
SLP
SLP is on a distinguished road
im not sure what the color code is, but it matches the aluminum grill color.

i put on a turbo front onto my S so i just had the grills painted when i had it in the shop.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:16 PM
ACE76 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by p0rsch3
globalm3- where's the pics, represent!
paulycw- thank you so much for the pic, perfect.
slp- what color / brand paint did you use?

ace76- sure this is easy to do at home with the right prep and paint.
use a good prep cleaner, then hit it with some spray adhesion promoter. If you want a permanent finish and less chips it really will help.
Get bumper/trim paint, it is not that expensive and provides a much nicer finish, plus has a higher quality spray head. And, there are 20 shades of silver or platinum available in bumper/trim paint- get it all at the local pep boys.
Take your time in a low dust area and do 10 light coats, it will come out looking like a jewel.

I've been painting plastic trim parts and rear badge logos like this for years and they always come out perfect / last for years. Just did my 911 logo on the back of my C2 in platinum and you'd swear it was minted at the factory in that color.
Thanks for the tips...I hadn't thought of using the adhesion promoter, but I will look into using that when I do the job...after I saw someone else do it themselves, I said to myself, it would be stupid to waste money in having it done professionally....the finished look was perfect...you couldn't tell that it was done with a can of spray paint at all...and if you get quick drying can, you could probably have the grilles back on the truck within a few hours.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:31 PM
Ace- Yeah, just keep in mind though that you want it to still look awesome a year from now. This is where the proper prepwork, multiple light coats and correct type of paint will make the diff.
I'd plan on spending a couple of hours at least. It's a good "six-pack saturday" project.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Painting front Turbo grills