Cayenne 955/957 Porsche's SUV up to 2011. Cayenne, Cayenne S, and Cayenne Turbo message forum.

AC drains...water in footwell

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 05:39 PM
xsrfs is on a distinguished road
AC drains...water in footwell

I have water draining on my feet when driving. I was told its most likely AC condensate drains. Anyone have info on clearing these? I looked underneath and saw a nipple-like thing on each side that looked like it could be the drains. I ran a wire up there and got nothing. Help please

Old 05-06-2011, 07:08 PM
23 views and nobody has anything?

Old 05-07-2011, 05:23 AM
FastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud ofFastHackem has much to be proud of
Well you already tried doing what I was going to suggest, run a coat hanger up into the drain tube and try to unclog it. The drain tube should be under the car next to the passenger side wheel. Bleach is what professionals use to unclog home a/c drain tubes so you may try to find a way to shoot some up there. This product may work also:

Einszett Klima Cleaner: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

The other thing I would probably try is to take a shop vac and find a way to attach the suction tube to the drain tube and perhaps suck the crap out thats clogging it up.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:10 AM
canberk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by xsrfs
you need to learn the forum etiquette

Old 05-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Mama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to allMama'sCayenne is a name known to all
you need to learn the forum etiquette
Enlighten us, Canberk. What is the forum etiquette? I can feel his frustration and empathize that he hasn't gotten responses. If there's some sort of uppity etiquette that says a person can't vent, I suppose I wouldn't want any part of it. Sheesh. Poor guy, tough crowd.

I hope you get your problem figured out.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:00 PM
I've been actively using technical car forums for years. I have over 2000 legitimate posts. Can you teach me? Theres no way this can be a common problem and "enthusiasts" don't have any info on it. A search doesn't yield detailed results.

To everyone else trying to help or feeling my pain: thanks.

Last edited by xsrfs; 05-07-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:51 PM
SoCal955 is on a distinguished road
Just noticed the same problem over the weekend.
Would appreciate any info anyone may have.

Old 06-09-2011, 05:43 PM
vreynaud will become famous soon enough
same here: I had gone while under warranty, they "blew it off" assuring me that it solved, a month later, same problem came back, of course now out of warranty: so any solution? anyone?

Old 06-09-2011, 06:01 PM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
under the dash on the passenger side can you see the AC evaporator housing?

there should be a rubber tube that runs through the firewall into the engine compartment.I would not run a coat hanger through it.if you go to far and put a hole in the evaporator its going to be $$$ painful..would you could do is get a can
of compressed air.the kind for cleaning off PC keyboards,.put the straw in that then give it a couple blasts in that tube.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:30 PM
Mr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to beholdMr. Haney is a splendid one to behold
I will second the shop vac suggestion and believe its your best bet. You could also pull the cabin filter and make sure there arent a bunch of leaves or something that got thru the cowl?

Old 06-20-2011, 09:31 AM
I tried to tackle this problem this weekend with no success. I did however find what i think is clogged. It looks like its the drain going through the firewall. Anyone knows what this drain does?

Old 06-20-2011, 09:47 AM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
I tried to tackle this problem this weekend with no success. I did however find what i think is clogged. It looks like its the drain going through the firewall. Anyone knows what this drain does?
when the evaporator builds up condensation it goes through that tube
on to the ground,

Old 06-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by tonka858
when the evaporator builds up condensation it goes through that tube
on to the ground,
I traced this back and i believe it goes through the firewall down by the pedals under the dash. And so it drains to the ground through the drain a couple of inches aft the front wheelwells?

Old 06-20-2011, 11:05 AM
deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !deilenberger Is a GOD !
I traced this back and i believe it goes through the firewall down by the pedals under the dash. And so it drains to the ground through the drain a couple of inches aft the front wheelwells?
I think that's the wrong one. AFAIK - there is only one drain for the HVAC condensate.. and it's on the passenger side of the car. It drains in a bit from the right tire, and about even with the back of the tire. Apparently if you remove the wheel well liner on that side it's easily accessable. If you're not seeing puddles in that area after parking the car - chances are its plugged up (even in cool weather the AC is running to dry the interior air.)

Someone on another forum had a similar problem where his passenger side footwell was getting wet. He removed the liner, found the tubing clogged with leaves and whirligigs - cleared it and about a gallon of water came out. I think (seem to recall seeing it) that you can see the other end through the opening for the cabin filter. This can be accessed by removing one torx screw from the panel under the glovebox, pulling that panel down, disconnecting all the electrical connections to it, and then removing the door on the bottom of the HVAC housing. You'll need a 5.5mm wrench/socket to remove the screw holding the door on.

When I changed my cabin filter - there was a lot of munge in the bottom of the housing - leaves, whirligigs (those things off maple trees that spin to the ground) and other stuff that had washed down through the HVAC air intake.

The drains you're seeing are possibly the front sunroof drains. You could open the sunroof, and try pouring a bit of water around the outside of the frame/opening and see if it drains out those drains. There are also drains in the rear that go down through the C pillar (the rear-most pillar behind the rear side windows.) To clean out sunroof drains - weed-wacker plastic sting works well..

Old 06-20-2011, 11:33 AM
The water is coming out of the Driver's side, not passenger side. It is not the sunroof. It rarely ever rains here and the car is garaged. It is definitely AC condensate as the water is cold and only happens when the AC is on during a hot day.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AC drains...water in footwell