Panamera The 4-dour coupe by Porsche
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Panamera Brakes - PCCB questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 10:36 AM
mile2424 Is a GOD !mile2424 Is a GOD !mile2424 Is a GOD !mile2424 Is a GOD !mile2424 Is a GOD !mile2424 Is a GOD !mile2424 Is a GOD !mile2424 Is a GOD !mile2424 Is a GOD !mile2424 Is a GOD !mile2424 Is a GOD !
Panamera Brakes - PCCB questions...

Do the size of the brakes vary on the different Panamera models, base, S, Turbo when choosing PCCB?

I know the Turbo has bigger brakes than the S normally, but what about when ordering PCCB on any of the model's? Are they all 390mm disc's?

Old 12-05-2011, 02:47 PM
kip
kip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to beholdkip is a splendid one to behold
http://www.porsche.com/microsite/tec...PTPCCB&pool=uk

I rememered it like above PTT 410 front, 350 rear, all others 390 front 350 rear.

Last edited by kip; 12-05-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:34 AM
negb is on a distinguished road
Has anybody tried to search aftermarket brake pads for PCCB rotors ....
for these
front https://www.vividracing.com/oem-fron...-p-158258.html
rear https://www.vividracing.com/oem-rear...-p-158259.html

P.S>..and very good question about PCCB rotors sizes.... for '12 Turbo/Turbo S they are front 16.4 In (416.5mm) and rear 13.78 In (350mm)

( metal rotors sizes are: front 15.35" (389.8mm) and rear same 13.78 In (350mm)

https://www.ecstuning.com/Porsche-20...raking/Rotors/

Old 12-11-2018, 07:41 AM
mrwilliamsburg is an unknown quantity at this point
PCCBs only come in one size for the Panamera, irrespective of the model (S, Turbo, etc).

Old 12-13-2018, 08:14 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
Brochures claim durability of PCCB for life of car, but in reality, under 160k is what you should expect.
If not treated right, disc will develop a crack and you will need to replace. About $5k per wheel.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:52 AM
Small Car Lover will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by ciaka
Brochures claim durability of PCCB for life of car, but in reality, under 160k is what you should expect.
If not treated right, disc will develop a crack and you will need to replace. About $5k per wheel.
I think it depends on the car and the driver. My dealer had a Cayanne Turbo with PCCB in that had 160k miles. The tech told me the rotors did have wear but the indicators were not anywhere close. His comment was he has never has to replace a PCCB on a vehicle only street driven.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:40 AM
ciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant futureciaka has a brilliant future
I would agree with you on depends on driver. My biggest concern is when you take it in for any brake related service. If they bump the rotor slightly on anything, or a rock gets into the area, small cracks develop and that is how you replace rotors.
In CA knew 3 people with PCCB on Porsche and all 3 had to replace at least 2 rotors while owning it. of course, this is a choice any owner will have to make - get PCCB with all its positives and negatives, or not get it.
If you service your own car and have not spent money getting the pins for calipers, you are just asking for trouble with these.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:03 AM
DogWood will become famous soon enoughDogWood will become famous soon enough
if you live in Oregon you're probably better off not getting PCCB, a large number of the roads here are gravel and they use cinders on the roads in winter (that crap gets everywhere and they use big pieces)

Old 12-14-2018, 09:03 AM
Small Car Lover will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by ciaka
I would agree with you on depends on driver. My biggest concern is when you take it in for any brake related service. If they bump the rotor slightly on anything, or a rock gets into the area, small cracks develop and that is how you replace rotors.
In CA knew 3 people with PCCB on Porsche and all 3 had to replace at least 2 rotors while owning it. of course, this is a choice any owner will have to make - get PCCB with all its positives and negatives, or not get it.
If you service your own car and have not spent money getting the pins for calipers, you are just asking for trouble with these.
Yes, I use two pins and an overabundance of caution when handling wheels due to the cost of the rotors. Prior to having the PCCB I read so many comments about how fragile they were I was paranoid they would chip with the slightest contact. I certainly would not want to slam a wheel against the rotor but there is no problem with a little bit of inadvertent contact as you are lining up the stud holes with the pins and you are mounting the wheels. I was surprised they actually are not quite as fragile as is sometimes made out to be. Use reasonable care and you shouldn't have a problem removing and installing wheels. Getting a rock stuck in just the right place is certainly a concern. I did have a bit of a panic shortly after getting the car when I started to hear a squeal like having a rock trapped against a splash shield and rubbing. My usual initial response is to reverse a short distance to try to dislodge whatever is there. When I was able to get the car back to my garage the noise was gone. I pulled the wheel and examined both sides of the rotor. I couldn't find any stone and the rotor didn't have any marks so I guess I was lucky. But it did go a number miles before what ever was there came loose. The rotors only have a little more than 30k miles but they look indistinguishable from new.

I'd hate to have to replace a ceramic rotor but at roughly $1700 in parts from Suncoast for a front brake job, replacing steel brakes every 40k-50k miles is not cheep either. (I don't do aftermarket brake parts anymore) Over the life of the car the ceramics are more expensive, but the difference is not as drastic as is sometimes portrayed. These cars are all about the driving experience. In my opinion the PCCB make a big part of the driving experience of my TTS, The PCCB and the PTV both have large impact on the daily driving experience for me and help define the car. The bite and power the PCCB has on such a large, heavy car is just extraordinary. I have driven a number of other 970, all with steel brakes and they are fine but it's not the experience of the PCCB. My 987.2 Cayman S has steel brakes which are actually very good compared to other cars I have owned. When I go between the the 970 and the 987 I have to readjust how I use the brake pedal. I miss the PCCB when I drive the 987.

Time will tell if I end up getting disillusioned with the PCCB due to the issues you have described, but for now I'm happy to have the performance and not to have to plan for a brake job at 40 something thousand miles.

Ciaka, I want to finish this reply by thanking you for all the posts, DIYs and knowledge you have brought to the 970 community. That information makes these extraordinary cars more accessible to those of use without unlimited wallets.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:14 PM
Thank you. If you get a chance to make a diy, do so, everyone on here will benefit. Enjoy your car too - that is the most important thing. If you buy this car and keep it locked in garage, you are not enjoying it.
You are enjoying the idea of having it.

Originally Posted by Small Car Lover
Ciaka, I want to finish this reply by thanking you for all the posts, DIYs and knowledge you have brought to the 970 community. That information makes these extraordinary cars more accessible to those of use without unlimited wallets.