997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

passenger side mirror not working ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 07:05 AM
ktownlilrye is on a distinguished road
passenger side mirror not working ??

Hi guys
I have an 05 carrera cabriolet that has a passenger side mirror that is not working. I have tried changing out the mirror motor and
as well changed out the mirror switch on the inside of the car with no success. Still only have the driver side mirror that works.Has anyone come across this issue before? or have any ideas on something i might be overlooking? any help would be appriciated.
so Frustrating

Old 04-22-2014, 08:26 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Are you getting power to the switch at all?

Old 04-22-2014, 08:29 AM
ktownlilrye is on a distinguished road
Yes i must be getting power to the switch because my drivers side works fine.
so that would rule out the fuse i assume ?

Old 04-22-2014, 10:14 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
I would assume it uses the same fuse looking more in depth into it, since both mirrors won't be adjusted at the same time. If I would to guess you could have gotten possibly a faulty switch and not sending power to the passenger side when selected, or there is a wiring problem between the switch and the mirror. I would re-check the connections again, also see if your getting power to the mirror when the switch is depressed.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:55 PM
andy92782 is on a distinguished road
Thread resurrection. Same thing is now happening to me. Passenger side mirror electric adjustment went kaput. It did a "tilt down on reverse" and never came back up. The control no longer responds. Driver side mirror is still operational.

Any ideas on where to start debugging this?

Car is a 997.2 (2010).

Old 07-08-2016, 05:29 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
I wonder if the same switch that triggers the tilt down in reverse also activates the reverse lights - are your reverse lights staying on? Maybe that switch (likely in the transmission or shift linkage) is stuck in reverse which would lock out mirror control of the passenger side mirror. Does moving the mirror switch dial on the drivers door away from pointing to the passenger side mirror have any effect? Another possibility is that the motor in the passenger side mirror is stuck. Have you tried to physically move the glass with your hand and then try the electrics again.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:36 AM
I don't think it's the reverse lamp switch in the shifter. When everything works normally, the passenger mirror only tilts down while reversing when the mirror adjust switch is turned to the right. The mirror then stays locked downward until the car starts moving forward at ~4mph. So there's some software involved, somewhere...

The mirror itself isn't physically stuck. I was able to move it by hand to return it to a position that makes it functional while driving. The motor is still not functional, unfortunately...

Old 07-08-2016, 09:46 AM
Petza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond reputePetza914 has a reputation beyond repute
The mirror should come back up to the normal position just by moving the selector switch off the passenger mirror selection - the car doesn't have to be moving at all. Sounds like maybe the motor in the passenger mirror has failed as even if the motor doesn't work, you can always move mirrors by hand - they don't seize up when the motors fail.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:23 PM
BLKonBLK911C4S is on a distinguished road
Mirror Issues

Guys,

I am having the same problem. My passenger mirror goes down on reverse but does not come back up. When I first start the car i am able to mover the mirror up with the switch for a short period of time then nothing. If the mirror goes down on reverse and sometimes (when car is first started) could be moved with the switch....could it still be the motor? My car is an 07 and uses same switch for driver and passenger mirror....Driver operation is not affected. Also, i can move the mirror up manually by pushing on the mirror itself, but it still does not engage after when using the switch. Someone on another thread mentioned a tooth could be broken or worn down so it is not that.

Last edited by BLKonBLK911C4S; 08-09-2016 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:00 AM
I haven't yet identified a solution to this. Sometimes my passenger mirror shows signs of life: it will move left or right, but once you try to move it up or down it will freeze and then even left/right stops working. There's software involved.

Old 08-10-2016, 11:07 AM
AP1to911 is just really niceAP1to911 is just really niceAP1to911 is just really niceAP1to911 is just really nice
Originally Posted by andy92782
I don't think it's the reverse lamp switch in the shifter. When everything works normally, the passenger mirror only tilts down while reversing when the mirror adjust switch is turned to the right. The mirror then stays locked downward until the car starts moving forward at ~4mph. So there's some software involved, somewhere... The mirror itself isn't physically stuck. I was able to move it by hand to return it to a position that makes it functional while driving. The motor is still not functional, unfortunately...

I don't think my 997 ever had or did this function like my BMW's where the mirror goes down in reverse.

Is this only for automatic cars?

Old 05-17-2017, 03:32 PM
nie-ff is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by andy92782
I haven't yet identified a solution to this. Sometimes my passenger mirror shows signs of life: it will move left or right, but once you try to move it up or down it will freeze and then even left/right stops working. There's software involved.
Have any find a solution ?
Got the same problem to my 997 -07 meaning I can move it sideways but not up and down and when I do it stop working, have to turn of and on the ignition to be able to repeat the procedur.

Old 05-17-2017, 04:33 PM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
I am having the same problem in my '08.
Same symptoms. Manual transmission. Adjusted automatically when in reverse. Now doesn't work at all.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:02 AM
nie-ff is an unknown quantity at this point
No solution on this problem ?

Old 07-19-2017, 11:31 AM
PSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond reputePSPorsche has a reputation beyond repute
Has anybody had a dealer look at this? If so, what was the solution?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: passenger side mirror not working ??