Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

What do you use on the leather dash board??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 07:47 PM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
What do you use on the leather dash board??

Do you guys use anything on the dash to keep it in good shape and reduce the chance of it shrinking? mine is showing a very slight stretch tear up near the windshield (very tiny) and this car NEVER sees the sun. im thinking its just drying out a bit.

can you use LEXOL? (leather interior conditioner)
what about the old fashion secret, mink oil shoe polish. (great on the old leather Porsche dash areas, and it makes it look very shiny if you like that kind of look.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:52 PM
rscultho is on a distinguished road
I was told by the AM dealer to *NEVER* use Lexol. It will dry the AM leather out over time.

They told me to use Connolly Hyde food. Since I had already been using that on all my Jags before I had some and and treated my interior with it.

I also use Zaino leather treatment. It has natural oils and lanolin like the Hyde food. It also smells wonderful.

I was told that the key to keep this leather from stretching is to keep it "fat" with the Hyde food.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:28 PM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rscultho
They told me to use Connolly Hyde food. Since I had already been using that on all my Jags before I had some and and treated my interior with it.
Wondering why they told you that, considering Aston uses Bridge of Weir leather, not Connoly. You can get BoW leather care kits.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Wondering why they told you that, considering Aston uses Bridge of Weir leather, not Connoly. You can get BoW leather care kits.
Don't know...it was a part of a conversation about the leather pulling on one of the drivers side panel of my dash, which they are replacing with a new piece.

The dealer does sell leather kits...I looked at one on display. It was not marked as BoW...just Aston Martin...that's not say that it is not BoW.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:22 PM
XWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura aboutXWCGT has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by rscultho
I was told by the AM dealer to *NEVER* use Lexol. It will dry the AM leather out over time.

I also use Zaino leather treatment. It has natural oils and lanolin like the Hyde food. It also smells wonderful.

I was told that the key to keep this leather from stretching is to keep it "fat" with the Hyde food.
So, will Connolly work? sounds like it will. I just ordered up a little jar of it. thanks!

Old 04-26-2014, 11:54 PM
spf1410 has a spectacular aura aboutspf1410 has a spectacular aura about
Calling Duane Collie .... the leather expert. Duane, what's the Rx for dash leather?

Old 04-27-2014, 03:56 AM
zvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nicezvez is just really nice
I've been looking up different things for care of my soon to arrive 07 vantage,

Here's a good thread with input from Duane on leather care

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-question.html

Old 04-27-2014, 06:05 AM
Originally Posted by XWCGT
So, will Connolly work? sounds like it will. I just ordered up a little jar of it. thanks!
It's important to clean the leather before treating it.

Well I have treated my leather with it in my DBS. As soon as I put it on the leather took on a deep, rich, black color. It looked "flat" before I did it. So I am sure it had not had any stuff put on it and it was a little dry.

I have used Connolly since the mid 90's. It's always done a good job for me. When you use it just make sure you don't use too much, it is mixed well, and the leather is covered with it uniformly. You may have to buff the leather lightly.

Last edited by rscultho; 04-27-2014 at 06:09 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:13 AM
thanks!

Old 04-29-2014, 07:45 AM
dan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to alldan87951 is a name known to all
I have had really good things about "Leatherique Rejuvenating Oil" and "Prestine Clean". As far as I know Lexol isn't water based so shouldn't harm the leather? I have used it for years in my Porsches with no ill results but plan on trying Leatherique's products because of all the good things I have heard.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:44 AM
dicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of lightdicktahoe is a glorious beacon of light
I used Leatherique products for several years on my Porsche and Lexus--always with good results.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:23 PM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Another fan of Leatherique here for almost 20 years.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:30 PM
rohnin is on a distinguished road
How do you avoid the stitching, or do you?

Old 04-29-2014, 04:16 PM
spinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to beholdspinecho is a splendid one to behold
Personally would avoid any solvent or oil based product (Connolly Hide Food and most of the readily available products like Meguiars etc.); same with Leatherique - although I am not sure exactly what is in it, it is very viscous. This stuff will just attract dirt and make the situation worse. Shoe polish even worse - this will wreck automotive leather in short order. I would go with a water based product like LTT or Leathermaster, and keep it covered from the sun whenever possible.

Check out this thread for more info and debate on the topic: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-problems.html

Old 04-29-2014, 04:21 PM
goto35 will become famous soon enoughgoto35 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by rohnin
How do you avoid the stitching, or do you?
Thats what i want to know as well!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What do you use on the leather dash board??