996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

D.I.Y. 996TT Redneck Engine Build Thread.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 07:54 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
D.I.Y. 996TT Redneck Engine Build Thread.

Going back to a few years ago I managed to blow up my car. We think it was a hydrolock situation and it destroyed my motor. I think it was a combination of bad gas and boost creep in cold weather that detonated and lifted my heads resulting in a hydrolock. You can see that thread here: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...otor-pics.html Anyways, I got into riding motorcycles a bit and left my car on jackstands in the garage for a few years while I debated what to do about it. I didn't want to wait this long but I got busy with a few career projects and such. I was planning on getting a pull out motor but after taking my engine apart in my garage I decided that I wanted a built motor and that I could find parts online and build it myself (against much of the advice given here! Sorry BLKMGK ). I have quite a bit of experience building motors. I have built a few hot ATV motors, a CBR600F4 motor, and a nice Oldsmobile 455 motor with a friend. I began collecting parts last summer. I got a set of cases from Specialized German dismantler. Prodigymb hooked me up with a set of 997 pistons, liners, stock oil pump, and 997 lifters from his build which were removed with 20k miles on them. CRR hooked me up with a crank and some Pauter rods from his old 996GT2 with less than 10k on them. I got a BBI underdrive pulley from BlackHorseTurbo. Sean at Silly Rabbit drilled and tapped my cases for 12mm ARP studs. I was also able to squeeze some helpful advice out of Sean after loitering around his shop for around 5 hours (I won't reveal his engine building secrets though ). I plan to use Sean's Cometic head gasket. I am using the old IMS and heads/cams/housings from my old engine with about 58k on them. I am lightly porting the heads myself and am getting the valves all cleaned up and sealed well. I have new timing chains also. I plan to just go back to my old setup with K24 billet turbos running 1.2 bar and run a bigger setup in the future. I was fine with what I had earlier and I am running out of $$! Yes I am doing this inside my house as it is the cleanest place I have. I am waiting on some new rod bolts but I will post up and update my progress. I spent a lot of time measuring and having things magnafluxed to make sure my parts are good. Feel free to comment with any advice or criticism. I assembled the crankcase already with plastigage to double check clearances and it all looks good, so here we go:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1parts.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	832.6 KB
ID:	453041   Click image for larger version

Name:	2studs.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	982.4 KB
ID:	453042   Click image for larger version

Name:	4case.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	698.7 KB
ID:	453043  

Last edited by brnrdtns; 07-08-2016 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:08 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
looks great! let me know if i can help in any way.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:39 PM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
This man is single. lol

Old 07-08-2016, 09:05 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Which 12mm are you going with? Fingers crossed for you!

Old 07-08-2016, 10:15 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
They are ARP. Sean has a few cars running around with them and they are working great. To simplify here is my parts list:

2003 996TT cases
stock crank, balanced, micropolished
Pauter rods
997TT pistons and liners
ARP 12mm studs
Glyco stock bearings
Lightly ported brnrdtns special order 20 hours with a dye grinder DIY heads
Cometic head gasket
997 lifters
Gasket kit from EBS racing
BBI underdrive pulley
k24 billet turbos from Blouch
inlet pipes
custom 3 inch exhaust
60lb injectors
Protomotive tune
Spec stage 2+ clutch with GT2 conversion
welded coolant fittings

Last edited by brnrdtns; 07-09-2016 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
This man is single. lol
I like to tell people that I skipped my first marriage.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:03 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
This looks like fun!

Old 07-09-2016, 09:27 AM
gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !
Lmao, or at least soon to be single.. ...Anyway, OP looking great!! You will have a beast when done!!

This man is single. lol

Old 07-09-2016, 10:16 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Would love to live not far and give you a hand..... Beautiful job!!!!!

Old 07-09-2016, 10:29 AM
vogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome man! I build the engine on my 350Z myself (just outsourced drilling for bigger headstuds). It was my first engine build ever and ran strong from 2007 until I sold it last year. It's been flawless for the new owner as far as I know too!

I predict nothing but success for you.

The great thing about building it yourself is you will take the time to make sure everything is perfect when a shop that turns out engine builds daily might not.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:50 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
This man is single. lol
Lol or is about to be

Old 07-09-2016, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by vogz
Awesome man! I build the engine on my 350Z myself (just outsourced drilling for bigger headstuds). It was my first engine build ever and ran strong from 2007 until I sold it last year. It's been flawless for the new owner as far as I know too!

I predict nothing but success for you.

The great thing about building it yourself is you will take the time to make sure everything is perfect when a shop that turns out engine builds daily might not.
The Porsche motor is pretty difficult to build because its oil gallery system is complex and has a ton of seals in it that you can not damage or they will leak and probably result in a spun bearing. There are a lot of ways to die. I would be nervous about the head sealing procedure if I were using 10mm studs, but with the 12's I am comfortable with it. I plan to have EBS Racing down in Reno set my cams for me and I should be good to go.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:30 PM
OhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to behold
Taking on this project is impressive. I'm very handy with a set of tools and would be afraid to try it. I hope it works out well for you. Keep us posted.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:30 PM
vogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by brnrdtns
The Porsche motor is pretty difficult to build because its oil gallery system is complex and has a ton of seals in it that you can not damage or they will leak and probably result in a spun bearing. There are a lot of ways to die. I would be nervous about the head sealing procedure if I were using 10mm studs, but with the 12's I am comfortable with it. I plan to have EBS Racing down in Reno set my cams for me and I should be good to go.
Sounds like a blast. Nissan's VQ was no cakewalk either.

I hope it works out for you. Might inspire me to do the same eventually.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:20 AM
Found a nice video for assembling the bottom end. I'm going to buy it. http://pfixit.com/crankcase.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: D.I.Y. 996TT Redneck Engine Build Thread.