996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How do I stop my rear shocks from rotating from the swaybar bracket???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 10:21 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
How do I stop my rear shocks from rotating from the swaybar bracket???

I know this may seem like a silly issue, but my car has coils with monoballs on both ends and it feels like my rear swaybar is rotating the shock body via the bracket rotating when the sway is being loaded. Is their a bracket angle or setup to avoid this? I just aligned the brackets so that the link mount holes were aligned directly with the sway bar hole with the shock end bearing centered and not rotates one way or another.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:13 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Your shock is rotating or the drop link bracket on the shock??

Old 04-26-2017, 08:26 AM
Jferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant future
This happened to me - need to torque the hell out of the endlink bracket on the shock or else you can wear through your intake piping

Old 04-26-2017, 09:19 AM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
Were the end links setup and installed with the wheels on the ground. If not it seems it will move and bind. Otherwise a little movement shouldn't affect anything.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:40 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
The brackets are not moving on the shocks. The swaybar is rotating the shock when loaded. I did tension the links with the car on the ground.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:09 AM
r0nd3L is an unknown quantity at this point
Since you're on sphericals, you mean the shock will rotate on the spherical bearings 30 degrees or so? I wonder if that is an issue?

I feel this cannot be fixed without incorporating different style upper or lower mount to prevent rotation.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by r0nd3L
Since you're on sphericals, you mean the shock will rotate on the spherical bearings 30 degrees or so? I wonder if that is an issue?

I feel this cannot be fixed without incorporating different style upper or lower mount to prevent rotation.
That is what is happening. The sphericals allow the shock to rotate when the sways are loaded.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:32 AM
Found something. Perhaps reach out to Elephant Racing. They seem to have something available to lock out the shock rotationally.

http://www.elephantracing.com/docume...oduct-expo.htm

Attached Images  
Old 04-26-2017, 11:07 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
If you have the Cup shocks you should have a bushing (996.333.565.9A) on either side of the spherical bearing. I've never heard of any complaints similar to yours but I am guessing these will allow a certain amount of shock rotation by their design. On the Cup cars this is probably not much of a problem as the car is light with heavy springs which limits how much suspension movement you have. On my rear shocks, JRZ uses a design where the bushings on either side of the spherical bearing is much larger and is sandwiched between the shock pin mount and the wheel carrier thus preventing the shock from rotating. There is still a tiny amount of movement +/- about 1mm or so to allow the spherical bearing to work but that's it.

In my opinion, the only way to battle the movement you are seeing is to make sure when your suspension is loaded that the drop links are attached to the brackets at as close to a 90º angle as possible. This will minimize any kind of torquing of the shock by the drop link as the suspension deflects. The other option would be to have some custom bushings machined similar to that of the JRZ design. If you can measure the ID and width of the spherical bearing, I can check to if it matches the JRZ bearing. In the off chance they are the same you could use the JRZ parts which I have in stock.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 04-26-2017 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
If you have the Cup shocks you should have a bushing (996.333.565.9A) on either side of the spherical bearing. These will allow a certain amount of shock rotation by their design which in my opinion is less than ideal. On the 996Cup this is probably not much of a problem as the car is light with heavy springs which limits how much suspension movement you have. On my rear shocks, JRZ uses a much better design where the bushings on either side of the spherical bearing is much larger and is sandwiched between the shock pin mount and the wheel carrier thus preventing the shock from rotating. There is still a tiny amount of movement +/- about 1mm or so to allow the spherical bearing to work but that's it.

In my opinion, the only way to battle the movement you are seeing is to make sure when your suspension is loaded that the drop links are attached to the brackets at as close to a 90º angle as possible. This will minimize any kind of torquing of the shock by the drop link as the suspension deflects. The other option would be to have some custom bushings machined similar to that of the JRZ design. If you can measure the ID and width of the spherical bearing, I can check to if it matches the JRZ bearing. In the off chance they are the same you could use the JRZ parts which I have in stock.

These are the bushings mine have. Not sure of the part numbers.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo810.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	512.5 KB
ID:	475097  
Old 04-26-2017, 11:54 AM
Yep. Those are the OEM bushings I referenced. You can see the difference between the design of those and the JRZ ones which eliminates any chance of shock rotation.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:21 PM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
In theory, and I'm just looking at this quick, couldn't you just put another locknut against the bottom one and the shock won't be able to move at all.

As above stated, when loaded up, under tension and attached perpendicular, it seems it will only torque itself and move just a little bit which IMO no big deal.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:54 PM
993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !
the ultimate answer is: get 997 rear uprights/shocks

Old 04-27-2017, 06:51 AM
Originally Posted by 993GT
the ultimate answer is: get 997 rear uprights/shocks
I had to look up some photos. Interesting. Does the sway bar connect directly to the upright

Old 04-27-2017, 07:02 AM
993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !
Exactly, sway bar links attach to the upright instead of the coilover body.

Originally Posted by r0nd3L
I had to look up some photos. Interesting. Does the sway bar connect directly to the upright

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.