997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Rix 997.1 Turbo Project 121

Old 05-04-2017, 02:56 AM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Rix 997.1 Turbo Project 121

I've been quiet for quite some time, but I think it's time to start talking about it. I've never been a big fan of forum threads were the authors spend a ton of time talking about what they are going to do with their cars. Enthusiasm is great, but I'd rather talk about what I've done vs. what I'm going to do.

In September of 2015 I had a catastrophic foreign object ingestion incident (F.O.I.I.) which is also known as a foreign unknown car kniblet -- or (**********). We were installing a IPD plenum the night before Mitch from Cobb came in to tune my car. Suffice to say, there was no tuning the next day. Zero compression in two cylinders made sure of that.

Whenever this many people are inspecting your engine you know something is wrong.

Big thanks to Mitch Mckee and John Hebbeln for seeing me through such tough times. I felt horrible because they had flown in to work on the car and get some numbers, and here I am with a broken car. Certainly not my best moment. We towed it to Cobb Tuning Plano and diagnosed the problem (above photo). Two cylinder's worth of valves were ruined.

Thusly, the quest for more power had officially begun. To be fair, I have been attempting to ruin perfectly good cars by making more power for years -- so I had a pretty narrow set of requirements for such a project. After moping around the house in a state of nearly pure sorrow for a week or two Mrs. Rix agreed that the 911 would be made great again, and that budget was secondary. That was probably her first mistake...

I attemped unsucessfully to get quotes from BBi for an engine build. I wanted to do a 3.8L engine, stock crank, forged rods, forged pistons, etc. Previously I had always operated in a world of staged upgrades, so I wasn't entirely thinking of the big picture at this point. However, after 2-3 weeks of not being able to get solid answers or quotes out of BBi I gave up on them. With the recent (at the time) build progress of Anthony Taylor's 997.1 by John Bray at EvoSpec I decided to go with them for the work.

My experience with BBi can be summed up by saying it took them 14 months to ship me a set of exhaust tips. I'm an easy going guy, I don't get worked up about things. The exhaust I had purchased for ~$5k was poorly packed and suffered a large amount of shipping damage. This was slightly before my foreign unknown car kniblet issue, but I got great initial support from Betim @ BBI. Beat it with a hammer, make it fit for your race, we'll make it right later. Well, I had been trying to get a detailed quote for an engine build from BBi for several weeks. I know they do great work but I just couldn't get their attention. What I didn't know at the time is that it would be an additional 10 months+ before my exhaust tips were shipped. If they can't send me exhaust tips, how can I do an engine build with them? I'll probably take some heat for saying it, but that's how it happened.

John Bray at EvoSpec communicated well, was knowledgeable, and motivated to make things go. I originally broke the car in September of 2015. Cobb Plano dropped the engine for me and diagnosed the damage. In October 2015 I decided (probably out of pure idiocy) that the proper course of action was to rent a van, name it "The Terminator" and deliver the engine to Evolution Motorsports in Phoenix AZ myself.

Loading the 997.1 full engine assembly into the Terminator.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:16 AM
gofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud ofgofast has much to be proud of
Great read, looking forward to the rest!

Old 05-04-2017, 05:26 AM
trbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud oftrbofvr has much to be proud of
And? Where's the rest? WTH

Old 05-04-2017, 07:27 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Dan - this is already great

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 05-04-2017, 07:42 AM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
sub'd!

Old 05-04-2017, 08:01 AM
M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !
Left everyone in suspense...or you fell asleep on the keyboard given the time you posted this lol.

You know this is gonna be good, it smells like over 1k HP already

Old 05-04-2017, 09:04 AM
HardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to all
Guys, he posted this at 2:00 AM. He obviously has been drinking a lot after the shenanigans he's had to go through. He will wake up around 3:00 PM and post the rest.

Looking forward to it!

Old 05-04-2017, 09:31 AM
austx911 will become famous soon enoughaustx911 will become famous soon enough
You can't leave us in suspense like that ...

Old 05-04-2017, 10:45 AM
saabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond reputesaabin has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome so far ..

I felt bad after hearing about your FOII.. you certainly handled it better than I would have.

Looking forward to the rest of the story..

Old 05-04-2017, 01:21 PM
997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future997TTEQNY has a brilliant future
WTF

we need more!!

Old 05-04-2017, 01:46 PM
rix
rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !rix Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HardHitter
Guys, he posted this at 2:00 AM. He obviously has been drinking a lot after the shenanigans he's had to go through. He will wake up around 3:00 PM and post the rest.

Looking forward to it!
Well, you nailed the times. I was working on this after I got home and about did a face plant on the keyboard. I've got plenty more... We're still in October 2015 of my quest for more power.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:58 PM
El Dario Loco is on a distinguished road
Oh, I know it's gonna bee good based on that one picture I saw

Old 05-04-2017, 02:01 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
I have been waiting how long to see you post something about your massive build and you fall asleep writing it after you finally start writing it?! LOL!

Can't wait to see the beast!

Old 05-04-2017, 02:53 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Lol! Well played sir!

Really glad to see you're just about there Dan. Here if you need anything and you are in a good group of hands I speak from experience!

Old 05-04-2017, 04:40 PM
TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !TypeRx Is a GOD !
Looking forward to reading the rest...what in the world was the "F.O.I.I." anyways? A loose bolt or rubber piece or something like that that "got misplaced" during the plenum install?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Rix 997.1 Turbo Project 121