Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

HELP: engine system service URGENT/LIMP MODE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 03:28 AM
Dsisco is on a distinguished road
HELP: engine system service URGENT/LIMP MODE

Please delete thread

Last edited by Dsisco; 12-06-2017 at 05:53 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:58 AM
svre46 will become famous soon enough
In would check out the actuator in the side of the throttle body. Check the harness going to it too.

This is for a ford but same code you have described.

https://www.engine-codes.com/p2106_ford.html

Old 05-07-2017, 06:03 AM
svre46 will become famous soon enough
See post 15 here also.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/aston-martin/387834-throttle-accentuation-issue-vs-maf-sensor-issue.html

Old 05-07-2017, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by svre46

Thanks for that,

I have cleaned the throttle being still attached, hoping that would fix it, it was relatively clean, & the butterfly seem to open and close as it should

I will remove the throttle body & clean out the insides & see how I go,

could this be ECU related? software?

or do you think this is a hardware problem

Old 05-21-2017, 08:55 PM
ok so I have removed the throttle body & cleaned throughly, including the electrics

seemed okay for a day or too, but has come back last night,

it only seems to do it if driven without fully warming it up, eg: more than 50% throttle input in 1st gear,

could this be a faulty throttle body ?

Wiring problem?

anyone any idea where to start?

Old 05-28-2017, 08:01 PM
these are the fault codes, that come up

Attached Images      
Old 05-30-2017, 08:30 AM
Former Vendor
hsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to beholdhsm precision is a splendid one to behold
Interesting that there is such a large difference between throttle pedal sensor positions in your last image. Not sure if this means anything, but I'd think this is unusual.

Although the fault code does not point to fuel pressure, it might be worth checking - 233kpa is lower than the specified 40psi, but that is relative to manifold pressure.

Matt

Old 05-30-2017, 10:15 AM
rmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of light
P061B usually associated with a sensor fault and is tied into P2106. Does your car have an aftermarket tune?

Old 05-30-2017, 10:18 AM
rmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of lightrmrmd1956 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by hsm precision
Interesting that there is such a large difference between throttle pedal sensor positions in your last image. Not sure if this means anything, but I'd think this is unusual.

Although the fault code does not point to fuel pressure, it might be worth checking - 233kpa is lower than the specified 40psi, but that is relative to manifold pressure.

Matt
Good point. In US fuel rail pressure ( across the injector ) should be 55psi, 380 kpa

Old 05-30-2017, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by rmrmd1956
P061B usually associated with a sensor fault and is tied into P2106. Does your car have an aftermarket tune?
no the car has standard software,

I have already ordered the velocityap v2 tune, but don't want to install until I get this sorted first,

unless ss there is a problem with the factory mapping then in theory the tune should fix it right?

Old 05-30-2017, 03:56 PM
Rustybits is an unknown quantity at this point
You have a CAN fault. Likely water ingress or damaged wire. Stick your head down by the fuse box in the engine bay. The bracket is weak and often refitting the fuse box lid results in the bracket bending and digging into the harness. Next, have a look at the three plugs clipped into the base of the a posts, you will have to pull the carpets outward and shine a light in there to see....water ingress is common and it will crash the low speed CAN and cause your issue. The fact that you have faults logged in the CEM points to this....

Old 05-31-2017, 11:57 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Rustybits
You have a CAN fault. Likely water ingress or damaged wire. Stick your head down by the fuse box in the engine bay. The bracket is weak and often refitting the fuse box lid results in the bracket bending and digging into the harness. Next, have a look at the three plugs clipped into the base of the a posts, you will have to pull the carpets outward and shine a light in there to see....water ingress is common and it will crash the low speed CAN and cause your issue. The fact that you have faults logged in the CEM points to this....
The faults in the CEM are related to the passenger door, either the latch is sticking/worn or the inner handle cable is holding the latch unlocked when it should be locking..I don't see any signs of a LSCAN issue nor water ingress in those dtc screen shots.

The harness under the EFB was not chaffed from a "weak bracket", it was from vibrations moving the harness and eating at the wires through the loom that was badly positioned. This is a 2006 which already had the harness loom moved and weather trimming added to edge of EFB bracket..it's still possibly chaffed but LSCAN is not going to cause an engine operation issue, it's not even on the LSCAN. I would also expect to see other circuit issues either not in range or grounding out and popping fuses.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:11 AM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Do you have access to an AMDS or was this just pic while at the dealer? Have you checked to see if the misfire factors are stored? You stated the clutch is "new", how many miles are on it, do you know if the misfire factors were wiped out to learn the new 36-1 of this flywheel?

I don't think the misfire factors are learned on this car, which won't solve the issue but will help us see if the car is misfiring. If you indeed have low fuel pressure, you'll see this instantly when the concern is present. Without them learned, you will not detect any chance of a misfire..decreases the chances of finding the issue, especially if it's a CPS issue.

I would also make sure your running the latest engine software for the early files had various glitches in heat ranges that did not operate correctly when the EGR opened up. If you getting into 50% throttle, sounds like you might be in the EGR open range, and guessing near operating temp. Again, not stating this is your issue, but would definitely need the software to latest version and then correction factors learned, followed by a KOEO and KOER test to view all sensors.

Btw: the freezeframe in the pics is useless to diagnose with, that's the freezeframe for P0420 and not P061B forcing the issue.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:13 AM
drivergmx is a jewel in the roughdrivergmx is a jewel in the roughdrivergmx is a jewel in the rough
Sounds like throttle the pedal assembly. This happened to my 05 DB9, The left side potetiometer failed sending no signal to the left throttle body. Just prior to failure did you hear a whine via radio feedback?

Old 06-13-2017, 06:13 AM
Originally Posted by irish07
Do you have access to an AMDS or was this just pic while at the dealer? Have you checked to see if the misfire factors are stored? You stated the clutch is "new", how many miles are on it, do you know if the misfire factors were wiped out to learn the new 36-1 of this flywheel?

I don't think the misfire factors are learned on this car, which won't solve the issue but will help us see if the car is misfiring. If you indeed have low fuel pressure, you'll see this instantly when the concern is present. Without them learned, you will not detect any chance of a misfire..decreases the chances of finding the issue, especially if it's a CPS issue.

I would also make sure your running the latest engine software for the early files had various glitches in heat ranges that did not operate correctly when the EGR opened up. If you getting into 50% throttle, sounds like you might be in the EGR open range, and guessing near operating temp. Again, not stating this is your issue, but would definitely need the software to latest version and then correction factors learned, followed by a KOEO and KOER test to view all sensors.

Btw: the freezeframe in the pics is useless to diagnose with, that's the freezeframe for P0420 and not P061B forcing the issue.
No I do not have access to the AMDS, I just borrowed from the garage, the clutch is only a few months old so less than 1000kms, it was installed my aston martin so I am assuming they set up the misfire corrections,

how do I check this? should I bring vehicle back to dealer for them to fix?
as I do not want to get taken for a ride.

is it worth updating the software to the Velocityap software? or should i wait till this issue is sorted,

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.