996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

997TT underbody for 996TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 01:49 AM
ghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to behold
997TT underbody for 996TT

Hi guys,

has anyone ever tried to mount the 997TT underbody panels under a 996TT? At least back parts with the ventilation of the rear brakes?

Thx

Old 05-16-2017, 12:44 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
i have all the pieces sitting in a box. i know pete95zhn and i think pwdrhound have done it as well. i got all the part # from pete thru the pet catalog. i want to say iot was 997 gt3 panels. the side panels will need attachment points. im going to use nut serts and 10mm bolts. also the front panel will be 996tt since the 997 wont foit. center panel sides and rea panels all fit almost like stock.
Besides the rear part with brake ducting, what are the benefits of the other pieces?

Old 05-16-2017, 12:51 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
I wouldn't worry about the forward panels as the 996 ones are basically flat anyway. I didn't see a benefit to messing with those. I'm running the rear 997 panels. The center attachment points are the same but the ends are different. For a proper fit, you need to cut the ends off the 996 and 997 panels and then rivet the 996 ends onto the 997 panel. Not terribly difficult but time consuming. Next time I have the panel off I will take a picture of it. The 997 panel has naca ducts which channel air to the air guided that clip in the rear thrust arms and divert air to the rear brake calipers. The rear 997 triangular cover is a straight bolt on.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 05-16-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:15 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
I wouldn't worry about the forward panels as the 996 ones are basically flat anyway. I didn't see a benefit to messing with those. I'm running the rear 997 panels. The center attachment points are the same but the ends are different. For a proper fit, you need to cut the ends off the 996 and 997 panels and then rivet the 996 ends onto the 997 panel. Not terribly difficult but time consuming. Next time I have the panel off I will take a picture of it. The 997 panel has naca ducts which channel air to the air guided that clip in the rear thrust arms and divert air to the rear brake calipers. The rear 997 triangular cover is a straight bolt on.

So upgrade these to the 997TT pieces per below picture? The rest remain and/or are modified?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo987.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	382.7 KB
ID:	476518  
Old 05-16-2017, 01:57 PM
ghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to behold
Which parts to buy? The triangle one and the next rectangular one to the front? The side ones that follow also?
Pictures and a partlist would be awesome.

Old 05-16-2017, 02:27 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ghostofpain
Which parts to buy? The triangle one and the next rectangular one to the front? The side ones that follow also?
Pictures and a partlist would be awesome.
Yes, the last two panels, the triangle and the one prior to it. They make two versions of that one, the TT and the GT3 one. They both have nada duct inlets for caliper cooling and the TT version also has naca inlets on both sides of the gearbox (to provide cooling air to the gearbox). The GT3 version does not have these since it has a gearbox cooler in that location. The picture you have above is of the GT3 version and that is the one I'm using. If you don't have a gearbox cooler, use the TT version. I'll get part numbers for you later. They are in PET. I did not replace any of the forward panels.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:33 PM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pwdrhound

Did you trim the 996TT fender liners for the ducting or is that a 997TT liner?

Old 05-16-2017, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by 996TWINS
Did you trim the 996TT fender liners for the ducting or is that a 997TT liner?
I just trimmed the area out of the stock liner to fit the air duct.

Old 05-17-2017, 02:35 AM
Hi guys,

i did some research.
The triangle part Nr.: 997 504 429 01 (turbo I480)

The panel before the triangle one:
997 504 029 00 (turbo I480)
997 504 629 03 (turbo I249)
997 504 629 92 (GT2 I480)

Which of these 3 to buy?

Old 05-17-2017, 02:59 AM
I249 is tip. I480 is 6spd. Get the turbo I480 so you get the dual ducts

Old 05-17-2017, 03:53 AM
Great! Thx!

Old 05-17-2017, 06:52 AM
I have heard of a different version to make the rectangular 997 TT panel fit. Instead of cuttin both panels, u can drill two 2mm holes in the side skirts and mount the 997TT panel just there with some ordinary hex screws on both sides.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:59 AM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
very cool info. Let us know if it changes anything. I can tell you I did something similar on my e46 wagon and I did see an increase of 2mpg.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:35 AM
Here are the 4 major parts you need. In comparisn the 996 TT parts look medieval...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5446.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	478742  
Old 06-21-2017, 12:47 PM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ghostofpain
Here are the 4 major parts you need. In comparisn the 996 TT parts look medieval...
Be sure to attach them properly. I mean properly. The noise those two make when they decide to fly away at 220 kph is something you'd want to hear often...

I really do not know what went wrong this spring, but they've been there at speeds of 315 kph without a problem, but now at Autobahn A1 north of Lübeck they departed. There was a very sharp vertical bump (not common on those roads) , but still...

Luckily there was nobody right behind me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.