Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2012 Vantage S Convertible or 2016 M4 convertible

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 07:04 PM
dannyc414 is an unknown quantity at this point
2012 Vantage S Convertible or 2016 M4 convertible

Hi all - I've always loved Aston Martin's and am between a 2012 Vantage S Convertible with 8k miles and a 2016 M4 convertible with 5k miles. Both are about $75k (I can probably get them down a bit), but my main concern is if I'm opening myself up to a bunch of issues with the AM given the age. The AM is my choice in all other respects. Any thoughts would be great. This is not a daily driver by any means, simply a 3rd fun car to replace or add to my current M3.

Thanks in advance for all of the help!

Old 05-22-2017, 07:17 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Hahahaha...age is just a number with AM cars...look at the service records on the AM...many guys on this forum have high mileage daily drivers.

I personally​ would not be concerned...I purchased an older 09 vantage with 27000 on it...just fuild changes so far...

Others will post better details ....helpful guys online here

Old 05-22-2017, 07:58 PM
Dalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to beholdDalecannavan is a splendid one to behold
I was in your position last year when I sold my Z4 MCoupe. I like the M4 and it was a great car, in many ways more superior to the V8VS. However after driving the Aston, it was a no brainer for me. I sought out and found my beautifully bespoke V8VS with 11k on the clock and drove away smiling. 10 months later I know I made the right decision.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:59 PM
PK_Vantage is on a distinguished road
Why an M4 if you've already got an M3? Aren't they the same car one with two doors and other a four door? Sorry if I'm wrong...haven't followed M cars since I sold my E36 M3 in 2000.

I've been daily driving my '14 V8V for the past 9 months now with 9K miles without a hiccup. So far this Vantage has proven to be quite solid as a DD. Only complaint is it's a two-seater. So only one passenger at a time. But then there's always that Rapide.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:11 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
There are some blessing to only having 2 seats. You'll never be asked to car pool, or be the designated driver

There is no way to tell but by 2012 they were pretty well sorted [except for niggles like taillight condensation, etc], but until you go out and put miles on it you'll really never be sure. It took a couple service appointments to get my 2010 fully sorted to daily drive, but it's finally there. You will get more attention in the AM, far more. You may or may not want this attention, I'm still getting my head around it, but for the car, it's worth it. I did a cars and coffee Saturday and I watched several couples with kids in tow walk right past the line of AMG Gullwing, Porsches, GTR's, making a bee line for the Aston. It was poorly marketed for FC Kerbeck. The last time they had it there was a Pagani, couple prancing horses, some Lambo's, and this time, me and the Gullwing were the only interesting cars [who hasn't seen 5000 Porsches, although the orange GT3 was sweet]

Old 05-22-2017, 08:29 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Some arguments for the Vantage are exclusivity. Honestly, I wouldn't care if everyone had one of these. In fact if they did, they'd at least be happy. I wouldn't care if it was completely uninteresting to anyone else. I have one because it speaks to me. I love the heft of the controls, the feedback, the noise, and the incredible quality. I personally have no interest in any BMW from the past 15 years, but I understand that other people love them.

You gotta buy the car that stirs you, especially for a toy. Whether it's speed, responsiveness, sound, looks, controls, what you're looking for is a personal thing. Don't worry about the reliability, the Aston is reliable and even if it weren't, if it's just a toy, you buy what you love, not what's trouble free. Just drive them both and buy the one you fall for.

Last edited by blue2000s; 05-22-2017 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:54 PM
GDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the rough
My 2009 V8V has 57000 Km on the clock, normal service and a thermostat. Never let me down.

Old 05-23-2017, 04:56 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
Go for the Vantage and you won't regret it

Old 05-23-2017, 06:57 AM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
I haven't been a fan of the recent BMW cars. I have had them in the past, an e 30 318, a Z3 2.6, and a 540 sport with a 6spd. This is my second Vantage and I love it. I had 2009 with the sportshift and traded it in on an e63 estate. When I did I knew I would have to find and get another Vantage. The e63 estate is RENNtech tuned and is something I have always lusted after. This time I got the 6spd manual. It is a much nicer car than my last one. It was maintained as best that it could have been and never driven in bad weather. My suggestion would be to drive both cars. Then look at and drive several more of each. There is a car out there that will speak to you. If it is just a toy take your time and find the perfect one four you. Enjoy the hunt, because in your minds eye it is perfect and everything you want.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:45 AM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
I'm a BMW guy since I can breath and own a M3 and X5 right now.

However, I would never compare my Aston to them.
Different league, super car vs 3 series (no matter 3/4 series M, vert or special version).

Old 05-23-2017, 08:18 AM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
You will love the V8VS Roadster. Amazing rare car! If you want something unique and great to drive go with the Aston. I own a V8VS Roadster and have not had a single issue with it.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:38 AM
Batman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura aboutBatman-76 has a spectacular aura about
Having owned an Mercedes SL63 AMG, and BMW M Series cars in the past, I can assure you without a doubt that you will enjoy the Aston far more than any AMG or M.

I went with the "S" trim due to the increased stitching, carbon fiber, and other details it offered over the base trim, and am never disappointed when I'm sitting in the cabin. It's truly a special feeling being inside an Aston. The attention to detail and craftsmanship.... wow!

As for repairs and maintenance, I'd argue that my Aston is less expensive than my AMG. Service runs around $800-2,200 per year depending upon where you go, and services performed. - Many on the forum do their own maintenance.

Service for the AMG was $900-2,500, and the M appears to always be in the shop, costing roughly $1,300 *EVERY* time it went in...

The Aston V8 may not have the same HP as an M, but it has something far more important: Presence, Beauty, and Soul. (Yes, I replaced the "power")

Good luck in your decision...

Old 05-23-2017, 10:54 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
newer BMW's are very boring and poorly made cars IMO, the steering is just MEH and has no feel to it and almost seems slow

seats are comfy though (as are the aston's) and well if you like the newest technology the BMW is definitely the way to go but for me personally I could do without all that electronic crap that always seems to bug out or break

also BMW's in my neighborhood are about as common as camry's so theres that factor too

Old 05-23-2017, 11:01 AM
Banned
Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !Redpants Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dannyc414
Hi all - I've always loved Aston Martin's and am between a 2012 Vantage S Convertible with 8k miles and a 2016 M4 convertible with 5k miles. Both are about $75k (I can probably get them down a bit), but my main concern is if I'm opening myself up to a bunch of issues with the AM given the age. The AM is my choice in all other respects. Any thoughts would be great. This is not a daily driver by any means, simply a 3rd fun car to replace or add to my current M3.

Thanks in advance for all of the help!
My girlfriend is a service advisor at BMW, and she'd never buy a newer BMW because of all the issues they have. She has at least one horror story each week - and these are current-gen cars, not 20-yr old clunkers. Meanwhile, I've had my grey '07 V8V for almost 6 years now and it's been incredibly reliable given how much abuse I put it through.

I had an E46 330i and loved it. Sold it to get into a then-new E92 M3, but test-drove an '06 V8V and fell in love. Cancelled the M3 I had on order and never looked back. I have two '07 V8Vs now, and love them. The Aston is going to be a much more special car, and a lot more engaging. The M-car is going to have more bells and whistles, but not nearly as much personality as the Aston.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:31 PM
mindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to all
I have a 12 V8V Roadster and it has been great (have had it about 3.5 years now). Got it with 6K on the clock and I'm up to about 15K now. Other than a couple of minor cosmetic niggles, the car has been great and I have not had to do any major repairs (knock on wood). When I bought it, I knew it didn't have the best tech or the most HP, etc for the price, but the feeling I got when I looked at it and sat in it, was more than enough to outweigh those other things.

As others have said, the presence of the car, the way it sounds, they way it drives... it just feels special every time I climb in. Really no comparison.

Funny story.. my boss has a new RS5 in Nogaro Blue (really sweet car) and when the young kids at work did a little thing about #whipgoals for one of our annual meetings, guess which car they featured....wasn't the audi.

Last edited by mindscape9; 05-23-2017 at 12:34 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.