996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Seat options for the 996

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 02:10 PM
MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !
Seat options for the 996

I had recaro pole positions in my 996 turbo when I bought my car but thought they were a bit too snug (for my 6'2", 240lb athletic frame) and too aggressive for street driving. I'm not tracking my car.

I went to sport seats and they've been fine...until I started pushing the car more. I now realize I'd like a bit more hold as I'm don't feel planted enough in the sport seats while cornering aggressively. Probably should have kept the Recaro's. Anyhow, I'm researching alternate seat options now and could use some help...

After hours of research, it seems like there are a lot of very inexpensive or crappy seat options...and then very expensive OEM options.

Can you guys help provide opinions on what you think could be the highest quality, most comfortable, aggressive-sport-minded (not necessarily track oriented) seats available for the 996? I'm hoping to stay in the $5 - 6k range all in and would prefer leather/alcantara options, if possible.

Thoughts?

THANK YOU!

Old 05-26-2017, 03:45 PM
Aktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of light
I've been looking at Recaro Sporster CSs for a while as I have similar requirements, you should get some so I can see how they feel in a 996 Theyre fairly reasonably priced too.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:56 PM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
I've had stock 996, Rottec CGT, Momo Supersprint, and now 997 sport seats.

I drive only on the street and try to find windy back roads. The Momo seats were fun. They definitely kept me in place, but I've found for my uses I don't give up much with the 997 Sport seats and they look like they belong in the car. I think the 997 sport seats have better bolstering than the 996 sport seats.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:44 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
The Status seats look nice. Not sure about their quality though.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:19 PM
flewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond repute
Best option for you is probably the 997 sport seats.

I have corbeau rrb in my car and are nice but not leather.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:21 AM
mxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond reputemxracer has a reputation beyond repute
I know... not in that price range that you mentioned but if you can stretch you wallet a bit GT2 seats would be a good fit.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:23 AM
msv
msv is a splendid one to beholdmsv is a splendid one to beholdmsv is a splendid one to beholdmsv is a splendid one to beholdmsv is a splendid one to beholdmsv is a splendid one to behold
The Sparco SPX might be a good fit for you. I know GMG has been putting these in a lot of cars.

Some images on this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-progress.html

Old 05-27-2017, 11:02 AM
ADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mxracer
I know... not in that price range that you mentioned but if you can stretch you wallet a bit GT2 seats would be a good fit.
I have no experience with the 997 GT2 seats, but the CarbonFiber GT2 seats that came in 996s in Europe, same as Carrera GT seats, will be torture for you! I'm 5'10" 180lbs, and my lats barely fit. I have to sit up straight\high where my lats fit like a glove. I doubled up on seat cushion inserts just to prop up a couple of inches.

Be forewarned!!

Last edited by ADAMNSONS; 05-27-2017 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:17 AM
MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !MotoJB Is a GOD !
Thanks for the input all! Noted on the GT2 seats ADAMNSONS, thank you.

Old 05-27-2017, 11:51 AM
flewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond repute
997 gt2 seats are 9200 bucks

Old 05-27-2017, 03:13 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
I am 5'10, 180lbs, 33 waist and broad shoulders. I've had the following seats, left to right: Recaro Kevlar Profi Spa, OEM 996GT3 Euro, OEM Carrera GT. You can clearly see how the seat widths compare.

The Kevlar Spas are my all time favorite and my current seat. They are by far the lightest (under 10lbs) and and most supportive seats of the three. They are narrow, 33-34" waist is a squeeze. You don't sit in them, you wear them and once in are very comfortable. It's not really a daily driver seat as a quick release steering wheel is required for entry and egress (or you have to slide the seat back each time) due to the high side bolsters.

The 996GT3 Euro seats are the all around best seat in my opinion. Extremely comfortable yet supportive and friendly enough for a daily. Will fit anyone up to a 38 waist comfortably. Porsche got these seats right. If you find a clean set you will never loose money on them. I bought mine for $3500 and sold them four years later for $4500.

The uber expensive $17K OEM CF CGT seats were my least favorite. They are narrow in the shoulders and huge in the waist, +2" wider than the 996GT3 seats. They are not supportive and not very comfortable. A normal person will swim in them and they will easily accommodate a 40" waist. Made for the fat guy with narrow shoulders and a lot of money. Not a great seat.

I've driven a car with the folding 997GT2 seats and they feel a tiny bit narrower than the CGT seat but wider than the 996GT3 seats. The 7GT2 seats will fit a larger person also. I didn't care for them much as they are just too big. Good compromise for a big person that wants a recliner bucket and is daily driver friendly.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 05-27-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
I am 5'10, 180lbs, 33 waist and broad shoulders. I've had the following seats, left to right: Recaro Kevlar Profi Spa, OEM 996GT3 Euro, OEM Carrera GT. You can clearly see how the seat widths compare.

The Kevlar Spas are my all time favorite and my current seat. They are by far the lightest (under 10lbs) and and most supportive seats of the three. They are narrow, 33-34" waist is a squeeze. You don't sit in them, you wear them and once in are very comfortable. It's not really a daily driver seat as a quick release steering wheel is required for entry and egress (or you have to slide the seat back each time) due to the high side bolsters.

The 996GT3 Euro seats are the all around best seat in my opinion. Extremely comfortable yet supportive and friendly enough for a daily. Will fit anyone up to a 38 waist comfortably. Porsche got these seats right. If you find a clean set you will never loose money on them. I bought mine for $3500 and sold them four years later for $4500.

The uber expensive $17K OEM CF CGT seats were my least favorite. They are narrow in the shoulders and huge in the waist. A normal person will swim in them and they will easily accommodate a 40" waist. Made for the fat guy with narrow shoulders and a lot of money.

I've driven a car with the folding 997GT2 seats and they feel a tiny bit narrower than the CGT seat but wider than the 996GT3 seats. The 7GT2 seats will fit a larger person also. I didn't care for them much as they are just too big. Good compromise for a big person that wants a recliner bucket and is daily driver friendly.

Great input, thank you. I have a offer on some mint 996 GT3 Euro Seats with brand new red belts as a package deal for $3500. Sounds like those will work out well for me, given your input. Really appreciate the help.

Old 05-27-2017, 03:25 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MotoJB
Great input, thank you. I have a offer on some mint 996 GT3 Euro Seats with brand new red belts as a package deal for $3500. Sounds like those will work out well for me, given your input. Really appreciate the help.
That's a no brainer deal. If you decide to pass on them I'll buy them to throw in storage. Make sure the seat hardware in included as the replacement pieces are pricey.

Old 05-27-2017, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
That's a no brainer deal. If you decide to pass on them I'll buy them to throw in storage. Make sure the seat hardware in included as the replacement pieces are pricey.
If I do, I'll let you know...and will do. Thanks.

Old 05-27-2017, 05:53 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
You know what I'm gonna say haha. But I agree with John once again on the factory 996 Recaro's. I have lots of track time as well as traffic time in them and I always loved them. You almost don't think about it and that's when you know you have a good seat! And consider them an investment. I'm stuck between those and the Tecnocrafts.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.