997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

New 991 GT2 RS new turbos?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 12:02 PM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Yes it is nice to have more factory bolt ons in the mix

Old 07-12-2017, 12:03 PM
GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !GTRNICK Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RickRST
Looks like you might be ordering a set of these then lol!
Who does your tuning?

Old 07-12-2017, 01:16 PM
RickRST is a name known to allRickRST is a name known to allRickRST is a name known to allRickRST is a name known to allRickRST is a name known to allRickRST is a name known to all
Unicorn Motor Developments.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:19 PM
Yes I have heard of them and the owner is meant to be a wiz with winols.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:03 PM
turboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant futureturboslut has a brilliant future
Ha...at first I thought you were being a d!ck...then I googled.

Pretty hardcore shop

Old 07-16-2017, 04:47 PM
Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !
Bigger hot sides would be great if only the PDK could handle it

Old 07-16-2017, 04:55 PM
RickRST is a name known to allRickRST is a name known to allRickRST is a name known to allRickRST is a name known to allRickRST is a name known to allRickRST is a name known to all
PDK gearbox recalibraton is something that is a reality now and Unicorn are working on it. They won't release anything publically though until they have a few in the field - it's not about the money there, but the the result.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:01 PM
Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !Markblackwell Is a GOD !
PDK gearbox recalibraton is something that is a reality now and Unicorn are working on it. They won't release anything publically though until they have a few in the field - it's not about the money there, but the the result.
its not about the pdk tune it's a weak case when you start pushing it with big hp you need to take it easy on hard launches with traction

Last edited by Markblackwell; 07-16-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:08 PM
Agreed. With 2.x seconds to 60 I dont think this is an area that needs improving. It's all about managing the torque at the wheels - and we all have a lot to learn - it's going to be fun

Old 07-16-2017, 06:33 PM
3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !3llooi Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Emre@Esmotor
991.2.TT/S turbos may possibly be same with GT2RS. will get more info soon
That should make a nice bolt on huh?

Old 07-16-2017, 08:49 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Hey guys. Porsche introduced an all new turbine metallurgy for the 991.2. The BV-50 turbine has been the same ever since the 997.1 all the way through the 991.1. It's the turbine housing that changed on the GT2 and the 997.2 for a larger A/R. With introduction of the new anti-lag technologies they know that he builds up so they're using Inconel valves as well as this new turbine to take the heat. Turbine wheel sizes actually no larger. Cliff ankle strategy has been modified slightly. Unfortunately we have learned what happens when you push these turbines too hard the heat is tremendous. So much so that even turbo protection can't catch it in time. A lot of damage can happen in literally one second. With extensive testing on our Pike's Peak Hillclimb car and some very lucky rendezvous's with Porsche North America it looks like the GT2RS will have a larger billet compressor wheel and larger turbine housing as Porsche has done in the past to help them achieve those higher goals and balance ETS's better. It would be great to get some of these turbo chargers and play with them. I wonder how available they will be but we shall find out soon. I have already done some 991.2 turbo chargers and they have changed everything! It took months and a lot of investment but TiAL has created a whole new compressor suite for these new turbo chargers. Having the new technology with the larger turbine will afford room for another 50+ to the wheels without getting into that high temperature danger zone. On Mark Blackwell's car we have gotten as high as 819 to all four wheels on a Dunojet. Below the yellow tag turbo chargers at the bottom are factory 991.2. Pretty good size billet compressor wheels from Porsche stock! These cars will be potent even without a turbocharger upgrade but we are ready with the compressor set up that will flow a good amount more!

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 07-16-2017 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:49 PM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Any pics of overheated turbines? What's the first to melt....?

Old 07-19-2017, 07:50 AM
M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !
Read thru this thread, pretty interesting stuff. I see there are some questions and theories about why us(engineers in this industry) will do xyz thing or change material. I'll add my 2 cents for the hell of it.

Billets wheels, my favorite lol. The hard truth guys is in the OEM scenario we use billet wheels because the volume is too low and not worth buying tooling for casting it. Another reason not used in the passenger car world is for low cycle fatigue, the billet aluminum wheel will endure a higher number of speed cycle counts before it fails. In a racing and or aftermarket scenario you typically see designs get aggressive and machining them makes it easier to produce and again...low volume relatively speaking. What do I mean by aggressive? Well we throw out durability of the wheel to gain either performance (efficiency) and or airflow. Again in the passenger car world you can get away with a lot and be relatively safe. Pretty easy life for a turbo to be honest.

On material selection on turbine, don't think of it as the OEM wanted to make it "better", that's not how it works (typically). The different material is because the engineering team was given a different problem statement, thus having them choose something else to meet xyz target. I know marketing will push plenty half truths and what not out there cause it sounds cool and it sells. That higher temperature capability is because of emissions requirements. I know...not as cool as hey we put some bad *** stuff in there because you spent $$$ with us, sorry lol. So in the example Sam gave on anti-lag, yes the higher temp material is better suited but I'm willing to bet that the main reason is to allow to run higher EGT for emissions...surviving the anti-lag was an added benefit. If you have interest in learning about the best materials out there and who is pushing the limit on turbo-machinery materials look into aerospace. You will be floored at the temps they are trying to achieve...again fuel economy and emissions is the reason.

VNT/VTG/VGT are all the same thing. Different manufacturers will use different terms. VNT is a Honeywell(Garrett) term, VTG is Borg Warner, and VGT is Cummins turbo (Holset).

Enjoy

Old 07-19-2017, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by M3 Maestro
Read thru this thread, pretty interesting stuff. I see there are some questions and theories about why us(engineers in this industry) will do xyz thing or change material. I'll add my 2 cents for the hell of it.

Billets wheels, my favorite lol. The hard truth guys is in the OEM scenario we use billet wheels because the volume is too low and not worth buying tooling for casting it. Another reason not used in the passenger car world is for low cycle fatigue, the billet aluminum wheel will endure a higher number of speed cycle counts before it fails. In a racing and or aftermarket scenario you typically see designs get aggressive and machining them makes it easier to produce and again...low volume relatively speaking. What do I mean by aggressive? Well we throw out durability of the wheel to gain either performance (efficiency) and or airflow. Again in the passenger car world you can get away with a lot and be relatively safe. Pretty easy life for a turbo to be honest.

On material selection on turbine, don't think of it as the OEM wanted to make it "better", that's not how it works (typically). The different material is because the engineering team was given a different problem statement, thus having them choose something else to meet xyz target. I know marketing will push plenty half truths and what not out there cause it sounds cool and it sells. That higher temperature capability is because of emissions requirements. I know...not as cool as hey we put some bad *** stuff in there because you spent $$$ with us, sorry lol. So in the example Sam gave on anti-lag, yes the higher temp material is better suited but I'm willing to bet that the main reason is to allow to run higher EGT for emissions...surviving the anti-lag was an added benefit. If you have interest in learning about the best materials out there and who is pushing the limit on turbo-machinery materials look into aerospace. You will be floored at the temps they are trying to achieve...again fuel economy and emissions is the reason.

VNT/VTG/VGT are all the same thing. Different manufacturers will use different terms. VNT is a Honeywell(Garrett) term, VTG is Borg Warner, and VGT is Cummins turbo (Holset).

Enjoy

I totally agree with you which is why I took the aerospace route when making my intercoolers. There is no substitute when your are looking for the best rewards. May not be always the best bang for the buck but i guess its what you are trying to achieve in the end. I find that sometimes in tuning a car the OEM manufacturers have done such a good job that the aerospace or motorsport industry is the only option.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:36 AM
M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !M3 Maestro Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GTRNICK
I totally agree with you which is why I took the aerospace route when making my intercoolers. There is no substitute when your are looking for the best rewards. May not be always the best bang for the buck but i guess its what you are trying to achieve in the end. I find that sometimes in tuning a car the OEM manufacturers have done such a good job that the aerospace or motorsport industry is the only option.
Accountants are who keep us engineering teams "in check" or annoyed...depends on what side you are on

Good example are the 997.2 coolers right? The fin density is great for cooling but hey throw some plastic end tanks crimped on for cost savings. I know some people talk about the plastic cooling quicker or helping with soak..sure added side benefit... but main reason is for cost guys.

A marketing guy gets asked to say this same thing..."we added composite end tanks for added performance and weight reduction!"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.