Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

well i got my first ride in a Vantage

Old 06-26-2017, 01:35 PM
dougn1 is an unknown quantity at this point
well i got my first ride in a Vantage

I just started researching the Vantage and searching the US for cars. i'm weighing what price/year/options I'm going to focus on. anyway i went and looked an 09 sportshift. the car had about 21k miles. i took a ride in the passenger seat. my impressions were:

it was very torquey and kind of jerky at slow speed but it could have been the driver. reminded me of a corvette. i'm used to porsches

it was pretty stiff. the roads were poor so it was a worst case condition

it shifted ok but i don't see the point if you need to lift. thats why im shopping a stick

a 4.3 might be plenty of motor for me, especially if it's smoother (weaker) off the bottom

oh and the most important thing.....it was beautiful and sounded great and had a most posh interior

Old 06-26-2017, 02:30 PM
RolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura aboutRolexDaytona1 has a spectacular aura about
I am sure you will hear more of the following.

FWIW Stick is the way to go. (Tho some say they 'got used' to the SS) The SS is kind of a dated setup however you weigh it.

Suspension is STIFF. You get used to it and it handles great. Just wish it didn't crash over RR tracks so much.

Manual clutch is also STIFF when you test one of those.

I have the 4.3 and for the $$ at the time I have no regrets. You are not going to stop light race anyone and win with either motor. Not the point.
If $$$ isn't a big deal then go for the newest car you can swing.

I have had VERY good luck overall.. 4yrs daily driver... 68k miles on the odo. Get one with good history. There are some 40k mi cars that have had a better life than 20k mi cars. My car had 40k mi but was treated very very well and likely gently by the two prior owners. You may be able to track him down based on the door plate. Mine had the two previous owners.. one on each side.

Happy hunting! You won't be disappointed!

Last edited by RolexDaytona1; 06-26-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:28 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
I had an 09 with the sport shift. Now have an 08 with a manual. I prefer the manual over the sportshift. The difference in power can be made with a tune and 200 cel cats. Buy the car that you like the best. Also buy the one with a documented history and the one in the best shape. I got extremely lucky with my 08. It was a one owner who even went to the factory to see it be built and then spared no expense on maintenance. If you find one far from you there are always forum members that will go check it out for you. Enjoy the hunt.

Last edited by Gene G; 06-26-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:30 PM
thanks!

Old 06-26-2017, 07:50 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
Hi...I have 09 sports package vantage ss..trans is different but once use to it ....great...if you buy the grant book it explains pros and cons...

The one thing you need to research on this site and others is the manual problem till warm..many like Rich at redpants goes through a complete gear shift each time he starts his car when cold...many have problems till the car is completely warm. Check the threads...tons of information...

If you live in a cold temp area ....drive both models from cold not warmed up...

There are many threats on clutch problems on both models it depends on the prior owners.

Lastly...most 08 back cars are modified and added to more as a bigger supply built and available...later model cars few threads I can find on mods as much

Good luck ...let us see pics when purchase...

Old 06-26-2017, 07:59 PM
i had a transmission that was stiff and would grind second unless i stopped in between.....till i warmed up

Old 06-26-2017, 08:05 PM
Aldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud ofAldv has much to be proud of
When cold first is strange as if going slow you get that stupid creep mode....so a little more gas is needed...after first...never a jerk or problem upshifting...smooth..

Did the guy have the car in D or use the paddles..if in Comfort mode even worse.

I do not use D or Comfort...way too jerky and shifts strange..

My buddy has a Vette and in the winter parks the car in reverse as he can never get in gear till warm.

All fun cars have kinks...what you choose is how much you want to put up with...lol

Old 06-26-2017, 08:08 PM
yeah i don't mind quirks

Old 06-26-2017, 08:15 PM
Yup...lol
Being a newer owner just since December...AM cars are not for the faint of heart...haha

Most days we love our rides...from reading too many threats here and other sites...the AM owners are very opinionated on their feelings on their ride.

But if you have a problem...the guys will give an answer or a tech or two gives you advice...even at the risk of getting in trouble for helping...

Old 06-26-2017, 08:19 PM
yes it seems like a lot of the folks here are working on their own cars. thats good...

Old 06-26-2017, 08:24 PM
Yes...many utube videos by Rich and others...great vendors that chime in often...

Before I bought my car I checked back in the threats here and Piston heads for the years I was researching...followed forward to see what problems ahead..

Yes your eyes will water but a ton of great information and a few laughs when the guys disagree...

Old 06-26-2017, 10:23 PM
programmatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond repute
If you do get a sportshift V8V Roadster, you should consider upgrading the clutch. No, scratch that, don't consider it -- JUST DO IT!

I upgraded to the Velocity AP organic clutch and lightweight flywheel and now my car feels completely different! Shifts are nice and quick and there is no more shuddering at slow crawl! My only regret is waiting so long to do it!

I also got their 200 cell sports cats and ECU tune as well the Quicksilver Sport exhaust. When shopping for a V8V Roadster you should budget for the ~$8,500 or so in mods!

Old 06-27-2017, 04:41 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
I owned a 2007 4.3 stick for two years. It had the factory power pack and the factory sport exhaust. It was a good one owner car with low miles (2800) when I bought it. It also came with the Aston Martin preowned warranty. I think this is a must if the car is under 10 years old. You must purchase from a dealer, and would make it part of the deal. My 2007 was a good car. In 7300 miles I put on it in two years I had few problems. I had a rear shock, and two door struts plus a fuel door solenoid replaced under warranty. The 4.3 is a nice engine, not a lot of low down torque, but it loves to rev. The clutch is also heavy.
My 2016 GT 6 speed stick, is a world apart. It has a lot more low down torque and BHP. The clutch is lighter, and it shifts easier as well, and the stereo, Nav, and center stack a leep forward. I must admit I do have the B&O stereo option (1100) watts etc. the seats are also more comfortable, the brakes are better and the steering ratio is quicker. All of these things being said, buy the latest car that you can afford, and has the best color combo and options. Good hunting.
Ron

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.