997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Need advice..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 10:18 AM
ezzcoke is on a distinguished road
Need advice..

Hi all,
I am new to Porsche and planning to make the first purchase on a 07 911 turbo awd from a private sale. Beside the PPI, what else I should look for?
The car only has 20k.
Tks in advance.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:31 AM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Take it for a drive and listen for any weird noises. Try to get service records/carfax. Also, if you have one, bring a paint meter.

Edwin

Old 06-27-2017, 11:00 AM
The carfax looks ok, the seller is the 3rd owner for 4 months. No major service done just oil change.
Can I say if the PPI come back ok, then it should be ok to purchase it?

Old 06-27-2017, 11:03 AM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ezzcoke
The carfax looks ok, the seller is the 3rd owner for 4 months. No major service done just oil change.
Can I say if the PPI come back ok, then it should be ok to purchase it?
I can't provide any assurance that a clean PPI means a clean bill of health. It's most of going all you can to minimize the risk.

What kind of PPI is the dealer doing? The last "PPI" I asked for was simple a multi-point inspection ($135) and not the full blown PPI that was done when I bought my 997tt (~$400).

Even with a clean PPI, things can still be missed. I assume you are going to see the car and drive it before the deal is done?

Edwin

Old 06-27-2017, 11:32 AM
Here is the situation, the seller is in England and Edmund has the car. I believe I only has a 3 days inspection after delivery to me. I never seen the car but base on the picture, they looks ok. Since I am new to porsche and thats why I am depending on a full PPI.

JC

Old 06-27-2017, 12:57 PM
Nigel will become famous soon enough
That deal sounds risky to me. Buying a car from the UK and shipping it to the US? And one that has had 3 owners in the last 4 months? Or was I misunderstanding? Remember, European cars have different safety/emission regulations than in the USA, so there will be other hurdles to jump across

Old 06-27-2017, 01:12 PM
I think I was misleading everyone. Its a US car. The seller (third owner) has it for 4 months and then went back to england. Now Edmund has it and the carfax looks clean.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:58 PM
Sobrut911 is on a distinguished road
10 year old car should have had a lot more than oil changes. It should have had the brake fluid changed, spark plugs, cabin and air filter, TPMS. If no documentation/records that all the required maintenance was done I'd factor the cost into the purchase price and definitely do a thorough PPI.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:33 PM
Skwerl will become famous soon enoughSkwerl will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by ezzcoke
I think I was misleading everyone. Its a US car. The seller (third owner) has it for 4 months and then went back to england. Now Edmund has it and the carfax looks clean.
Are you sure it's not a scam? Lots of scam stories work like that - "I have this car for sale, but unfortunately I'm overseas at the moment and my escrow company will handle everything..."

Old 06-28-2017, 05:23 AM
Originally Posted by Skwerl
Are you sure it's not a scam? Lots of scam stories work like that - "I have this car for sale, but unfortunately I'm overseas at the moment and my escrow company will handle everything..."

I was thinking about that also but Edmund should be legit... I could be wrong

Old 06-28-2017, 07:24 AM
I'd just be a little extra careful, the "I'm overseas but I have a third party handling the sale" is pretty cookie cutter on these scams. They use real VINs and Carfaxes to throw you off.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:28 AM
Thank you all, I am out from the deal.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:32 AM
997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !
being listed on Edmunds does not make it more legitimate. I got scammed on a cars.com listing before. Pricing is a good indicator. a 20k mile car should be listed at over $70k, or its most likely too good to be true

Old 06-28-2017, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle
being listed on Edmunds does not make it more legitimate. I got scammed on a cars.com listing before. Pricing is a good indicator. a 20k mile car should be listed at over $70k, or its most likely too good to be true

This seller bought the car on 2/17, Edmund has it since 4/17. The seller only has it for 2 months and he is in England now and he is selling it for 33k with 20k millage. I took a step forward for this deal because I see Edmund as the third party.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:03 AM
...it's a 997 Turbo with 20k miles and he's selling it for $33,000 USD? Absolutely a scam. (Even £30k / ~$42k is too cheap.)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.