996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

STRANGE Porsche 996TT consume coolant without leak

Old 07-02-2017, 02:09 AM
Fab996tt2 is a jewel in the roughFab996tt2 is a jewel in the roughFab996tt2 is a jewel in the rough
Unhappy STRANGE Porsche 996TT consume coolant without leak

I have my level of coolant that decreases, without finding any trace, and there I am not trust.

Yesterday I rode a little my 996TT, to see what I did lately is all OK, and by the way, as regularly, I control my oil level, and it is at the maximum.

How is it possible ? I did the level lately, but I never put the maxi, I always remain a bar underneath. And the coolant level is 1 cm below the minimum.

No smoke to the exhaust, the engine seems to turn tip top, no leakage to the ground, the radiators have no sign of leakage (at least seen through the gates ...........

And if I still have a problem of cylinder head gasket ??? I have searched, and it is very rare that we talk about cylinder head gasket on the 996 Turbo, in general, I come across 996 atmo ....

I will really have the stick, because my 996TT never stays long without rolling, because I can understand those who make 1,000 km per year, but that is not my case.

In the oil filler cap, no mayonnaise, but a bit in the duct, but as I regularly ride the winter, it can be a residue, but in the case that occupies me, I am skeptical.

One more thing, I changed my expansion vase in September 2016.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:44 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
The reservoir caps really have to be cranked to stop coolant from leaking out when the engine is really hot. That is one way for your coolant to disappear when you are driving without leaving a trace.

I bought a new cap when I realized mine was leaking but even the new cap really had to be tight to work properly.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:59 AM
Fab996tt2 is a jewel in the roughFab996tt2 is a jewel in the roughFab996tt2 is a jewel in the rough
I drained the oil this afternoon, the oil is really brown, so there is coolant in the oil .... not good.

I also read that it can be a heat exchanger problem, what are the symptoms in these cases?

I recall that I have no loss of power, no smoke, and at first a loss of coolant without sign or mark on the ground.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:54 AM
bushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond reputebushrat has a reputation beyond repute
Had the same problem, turned out to be the two outside rads seeping enough to lower the coolant level but not enough to drip or leave any trace on my garage floor. Had them recrimped...problem solved.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:16 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Do you have pics of the oil? The heat exchanger failing is very rare. You likely have a BHG, you are looking at a teardown most likely.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:26 AM

What is a BHG ? I don't understand you !

Old 07-02-2017, 10:39 AM
Jferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant future
head gasket

Old 07-02-2017, 10:47 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
BHG means blown head gasket.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:50 AM
That's what I fear ......

Someone has the procedure to do this work, my son is mechanic, but he never did it on a Porsche.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:59 AM
Old 07-02-2017, 11:01 AM
You should test your compression first also.

Old 07-02-2017, 12:24 PM
Ok, I thought about it, and take the compression, I know how to do, but I never did it on a 996TT, it seems to me that there is not much space .....

Is there a way to do this?

Old 07-02-2017, 04:18 PM
You might as well just pull the motor out now. You are going down that path either way.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:03 PM
Yes, we have to get the engine out, but the compressions have to be taken before I'm wrong ??

What are the compressions on this engine?

Old 07-03-2017, 01:26 AM
TT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond reputeTT.BRN has a reputation beyond repute
There are so many ways coolant and oil can mix in these cars so pinpointing the leak may not always be so obvious....
If the oil cooler failed you'll see oil in the coolant res not the other way around as oil pressure is way higher.
Stretched head studs, leaky head gasket, or a worn cylinder sleeve oring are the main suspects... None is a quick fix unfortunately
Compression/ leakdown is a good place to start

Good luck

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.