996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Clutch selection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 07:08 PM
mffarrell is on a distinguished road
Clutch selection

I have a 2003 TT X50. What are the pros and cons with going with an unsprung GT2 clutch disc? I know that my tt uses the same pressure plate, flywheel, and throw out bearing as the GT2.

I am completely stock, just trying to figure the best way to go.

thank you!

Old 07-15-2017, 08:06 PM
Stebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond repute
My car is basically stock. I only have an exhaust. The car has just under 23k miles.

Literally just did the sachs race engineering unsprung organic friction disc and the uprated (764) pressure plate with a new dual mass flywheel. I retained my stock slave cylinder.

I was skeptical about what I had read, but it's true. There are literally no downsides to it. You can't tell the difference when driving the car. My pedal is as light as a civic's. The beauty is, if you ever change your mind about modifications, it will hold power for the first several rounds of mods. I plan to get a tune, so I pulled the trigger on the clutch kit as mine was already slipping under certain conditions. I highly recommend it as do many many others.

Last edited by Stebo; 07-15-2017 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:29 PM
Do you notice any clutch chatter or transmission rattle?

Thank you!

Old 07-15-2017, 08:52 PM
Stebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond repute
None. As info, I have stock engine and transmission mounts. I think the engagement is less jerky than before. Originally there was a spring in the flywheel and in the friction disk, which for me caused a little bit of extra shutter. Now the only spring is in the flywheel and I feel like it's smoother both off the line and between gears. Maybe it's in my head. Either way, I perceive no increased NVH. If anything it decreased. Like I said above- Hard to believe but no downsides.

There's a popular thing the internet says: "because racecar"

I'm the opposite with this car, my version is:
"Because GT"

I'm all about keeping my car comfy. In fact, I'm THIS close to adding padding to my door pocket armrests for my bony elbows.

Any way, keep doing research and you'll likely reach a similar conclusion. Good luck and feel free to PM me if you care to talk more specifics. I'm happy to discuss it.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:08 PM
Thank you!

I am just planning on using the stock Sachs GT2 clutch kit. I don't think the pressure plate is as beefy as yours.

Did you install it yourself?

Old 07-16-2017, 07:02 AM
I'd suggest the pressure plate too. Pretty much every combination of parts costs the same, it's just that you get more flexibility from particular combinations. That's enough of my opinion... your car, your decision.

Yes I did install it myself. I did it by dropping the engine/trans. It's a ton of work. I won't ever do it with hydraulic jacks and jack stands again. Total PITA. I'm already saving for Quick Jacks...

I have thread on here (6SO) that should be relatively close to the top.

ANOTHER CATASTROPHIC COOLING SYSTEM FAILURE

I mainly used guidance from another thread. Google "turbotodd engine drop". Turbotodd is one word. I believe the title is Engine Drop and Bolt On Mods. It was enough to get me through it

I'll send you a PM also

Old 07-16-2017, 07:25 AM
Thanks for all your advice!

Old 07-16-2017, 01:06 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mffarrell
I have a 2003 TT X50. What are the pros and cons with going with an unsprung GT2 clutch disc? I know that my tt uses the same pressure plate, flywheel, and throw out bearing as the GT2.

I am completely stock, just trying to figure the best way to go.

thank you!
Why not just go with the stock clutch and its assorted hardware? You know the parts all work together. The stock clutch is pretty robust with a stock engine. My 2003 Turbo's clutch has 156K miles. At approx. 120K miles when the transmission was out for an RMS leak the clutch disc had no measureable wear from new.

The dual mass flywheel is there to cushion clutch engagement and provide crankshaft dampening.

Be sure you replace the needle bearings that support the clutch control shaft. And the metal o-rings that seal the turbos to the exhaust.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by Macster
Why not just go with the stock clutch and its assorted hardware? You know the parts all work together. The stock clutch is pretty robust with a stock engine. My 2003 Turbo's clutch has 156K miles. At approx. 120K miles when the transmission was out for an RMS leak the clutch disc had no measureable wear from new.

The dual mass flywheel is there to cushion clutch engagement and provide crankshaft dampening.

Be sure you replace the needle bearings that support the clutch control shaft. And the metal o-rings that seal the turbos to the exhaust.
The reason I thinking about going with the GT2 kit and flywheel, is because I have the complete kit now and just double checking. I have an X50 which is putting out 500 + hp. I just want to make sure this solution is a good one, and that I will have no regrets in terms of hard pedal and noise.

Also, I am not planning to drop the engine as I am fortunate to have a 2 post lift at my shop.

Thank you!

Old 07-16-2017, 06:13 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
The reason I thinking about going with the GT2 kit and flywheel, is because I have the complete kit now and just double checking. I have an X50 which is putting out 500 + hp. I just want to make sure this solution is a good one, and that I will have no regrets in terms of hard pedal and noise.

Also, I am not planning to drop the engine as I am fortunate to have a 2 post lift at my shop.

Thank you!
i hate to disappoint you but if your car is a bone stock x50 car your no where near 500 plus hp

Old 07-16-2017, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
i hate to disappoint you but if your car is a bone stock x50 car your no where near 500 plus hp
Future plan is a custom tune and exhaust system. Should get me to at least 500 hp.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:56 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Future plan is a custom tune and exhaust system. Should get me to at least 500 hp.
if thats the plan a gt2 clutch disk wont last. need to research more and decide the power goals before spending money on a clutch that wont hold the power

Old 07-17-2017, 10:01 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
how long a "stock" clutch at 500whp is completely proportional to how one typically uses ( or abuses, as the case may be ) their clutch.

my last stock clutch w gt2 unsprung disc lasted 100k miles with hybrid turbos with my tuners "550hp kit" ( closer to 450whp then ) and with assorted bolt on's i've managed to squeak out a bit more power with rwd conversion etc. i replaced my clutch at 100k when i refreshed my transmission for bearings and while material was obviously quite worn, it had never once "slipped". i also replaced the dmfw at the time, and also wanted to retain as much "street ability" as i could, and didn't want to deal with gear lash/rattle etc. either.

the ( oem sachs w/ gt2 unsrung disc ) clutch will hold just fine at your future power level provided you don't exceed 575 whp, if one is simply using it to shift gears and not drop/launch etc. if you plan on going higher after that? go with the 890nm rated parts and 764 pp etc.

the unsprung gt2 disc will exhibit no other behavior but will handle more "banging" around than the stock sprung disc as it's but a *minor* ( yet worthy ) *upgrade* but one that is worth the few extra bucks, while not sacrificing any oem "feel" at all. it is after all, "stock"... for a 996gt2.

also.. ( fwiw.. ) i eliminated the requirement of needing to engage the clutch to start the motor, and have consequently reduced the undue pressure on the accumulator, pre start up which i am convinced kills these accumulators or at the very least causes them to die "prematurely".. a highly worthwhile mod, and one with ( for me ) great benefit associated.

if you're only adding tune/exhaust (.. etc etc ).. then an oem sachs w dmfw and a gt2 disc is a time honored upgrade/compromise that wont sacrifice anything in feel or significantly add to cost.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:06 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Let me know if I can help you at all. Feel free to reach out!

Old 07-18-2017, 10:51 AM
nbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud ofnbressette has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Let me know if I can help you at all. Feel free to reach out!
I just wanted to jump in here and REALLY encourage you to hop on the phone with Sam for a few minutes.

Long LONG story short (been meaning to make a post about this)... earlier this year Sam put the SRE kit in my car along with the full factory GT2 clutch conversion (including a true GT3 PS pump) among other things.

I was very concerned about the clutch being too heavy, flywheel chatter, etc etc. Sam walked me through each decision and we ended up with a kit combo that resulted in a clutch pedal that is how Ferdinand himself would have wanted it. I no longer have to guess where the clutch will engage, its dead on precise and perfectly derivable. Hopping on the phone with Sam won't cost you a dime but it could sure as hell save you quite a bit. I was blown away at the attention he gave my $ project while he had Mark Blackwell's' $$$$ project on the lift. Never once did I feel like I was playing second fiddle to his other larger clients.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.