996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

will this kit work to remove rear wheel bearings?

Old 07-20-2017, 08:20 AM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
will this kit work to remove rear wheel bearings?

Amazon Amazon

Old 07-20-2017, 09:18 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
Not very well. You will need a different tool to pull the hub first. And even then, a threaded puller has to be pretty stout to get the bearing out. Our bearings are pretty tricky. I had to use a hydraulic press to remove. Honestly pulling the whole spindle is fairly easy. Just pull the spindle and do it all on a press.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:26 AM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VAGscum
Not very well. You will need a different tool to pull the hub first. And even then, a threaded puller has to be pretty stout to get the bearing out. Our bearings are pretty tricky. I had to use a hydraulic press to remove. Honestly pulling the whole spindle is fairly easy. Just pull the spindle and do it all on a press.

don't have access to one. There is a good video on youtube of using these tools and it works fine. What im concerned about is the sizing and if they would fit our bearings. I know I need a different puller to remove the race and the hub.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:29 AM
Third-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond repute
I used that exact kit to pull the bearing on my 99 C4 along with some extras. I used a large aluminum plate to span the hub flange and then some wooden blocks between it and the carrier housing. it works but was difficult. Heat is your friend. I then cut the bearing off with a dremel tool. The kit works great for putting the bearing in the carrier and the hub in the bearing.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:54 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
don't have access to one. There is a good video on youtube of using these tools and it works fine. What im concerned about is the sizing and if they would fit our bearings. I know I need a different puller to remove the race and the hub.
hyd press from harbor freight is 100$

Old 07-20-2017, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
hyd press from harbor freight is 100$
don't you need a press along with those plates to push the bearing?

Old 07-20-2017, 10:18 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
don't you need a press along with those plates to push the bearing?
and its about 100$ from harbor freight.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:15 AM
Jferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant future
and its about 100$ from harbor freight.
I have this one...and use the 25% coupon good this weekend and its 90
https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton...ess-60604.html

Old 07-21-2017, 08:00 AM
Third-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond repute
The plates/discs in the kit fit the bearings and the threaded shaft is capable of pulling the bearing and the hub in. A press would require that you remove the full hub from the car. I replaced mine while the hub/carrier was on the car. Quite a PITA.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:01 PM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Third-Reef
The plates/discs in the kit fit the bearings and the threaded shaft is capable of pulling the bearing and the hub in. A press would require that you remove the full hub from the car. I replaced mine while the hub/carrier was on the car. Quite a PITA.
Exactly my point. Even if you can push in/out the bearing, the hub will be a huge fight. And pulling the upright/spindle is relatively easy when you consider the ease of pushing the hub in and out with a press. And even if you don't have a press, pay drive somewhere and pay someone with a press. Fighting the hubs on the car is a nightmare unless you have the actual porsche tool or it's equivalent.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:37 AM
Banned
dont forget you need new new hub nuts when you reinstall them. 340 ft/lbs and 1 time use.

you can always use the old nut to pull the hub back into the spindle if you need to then remove and install new hardware

Old 07-22-2017, 11:52 AM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
dont forget you need new new hub nuts when you reinstall them. 340 ft/lbs and 1 time use.

you can always use the old nut to pull the hub back into the spindle if you need to then remove and install new hardware
I've reused plenty of those nuts and never had an issue. *knocks on wood. But seriously every manufacturer says change them but I've never seen one fail.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:47 AM

340 for that nut seems so insane. Thats more than most crank pulley bolts

Old 07-24-2017, 09:03 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
In fact it is 340 ft/lb. I could not found any torque wrench in my area. All the garages I went to did not have a torque wrench of this size. I finally went to a truck and crane company and they let me used their big torque wrench for free and help me to apply the torque!!!

Attached Images  
Old 07-24-2017, 11:04 AM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
Yes, it's crazy. I just have a 300lb ft rated impact and hold it while it just sits there for a few seconds. I don't see why it's that imperative as even if the nut backed off the whole upright assembly in place prevents the axle from walking out. It's weird that Euro cars don't just do with a cotter pin for safety either.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.