997 Turbo / GT2 2006–2012 Turbo discussion on the 997 model Porsche 911 Twin Turbo.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Bears Transport

Road trip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 05:51 AM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
Road trip

Taking my first road trip 4 days to a Acadia National Park and everything in between. 👀 NH for some suggestions.

Just me and my son (18 y/o) . I've never been able to vacationin with this car with my wife beciause she packs too much "stuff" and car isn't big enough for all the luggage. My son and I are just heading north Thursday afternoon and stopping along the way. Will head home Monday AM.

Had the oil changed recently and the car gone over. Looking forward to having a nice time and pleasant drive. Threw a tire patch kit into the frunk just in case and located the compressor. Anything else you guys would add to be prepared.

Thanks

Old 07-22-2017, 06:53 AM
nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !
I take a first aid kit, a CTEK charger, a 1L of oil, a hockey puck (in case of needing to jack it up), a few of each fuse, a spare brake light bulb, a screw driver with a selection of the most common sizes/heads, an adjustable wrench, some duct tape, a couple of hose clamps, a spare brake pedal switch/sensor, some cable ties, some Rain X cleaner and a few micro fibre cloths.

Takes up very little space, all things I've had to use at some point.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:53 PM
JSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud ofJSF721 has much to be proud of
Great list. Much appreciate the post. Quick question or clarification. I have a ctek trickle charger. Do you mean jump pack? The trickle charger is just tor storing the car when not in use or for when it sits more than a day. correct. I just replaced my battery as a precaution. It was in its 4th year. I'll be driving quite a bit each day. Hope that keep it charged ? If I have a drain I'll need to be near a plug to help myself with the ctek right.
Originally Posted by nzskater
I take a first aid kit, a CTEK charger, a 1L of oil, a hockey puck (in case of needing to jack it up), a few of each fuse, a spare brake light bulb, a screw driver with a selection of the most common sizes/heads, an adjustable wrench, some duct tape, a couple of hose clamps, a spare brake pedal switch/sensor, some cable ties, some Rain X cleaner and a few micro fibre cloths.

Takes up very little space, all things I've had to use at some point.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:39 PM
nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !nzskater Is a GOD !
Yes, a trickle charger. I figure a jump start will be necessary if I need to get on the move urgently, but want the means to be able to properly recharge somewhere without relying on a call out service. I have experienced this... A jump kit is something I've been considering, they're quite small now and can double as USB chargers.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:31 PM
Thanks. My biggest stress is the center lock wheels. I can't handle them. I think I'll invest in a torque multiplier so a shops can help me but most can't handle center locks from my experience. As a precaution I have wheel and tire insurance if things go wrong and I need to move the car to a safe place.

Originally Posted by nzskater
Yes, a trickle charger. I figure a jump start will be necessary if I need to get on the move urgently, but want the means to be able to properly recharge somewhere without relying on a call out service. I have experienced this... A jump kit is something I've been considering, they're quite small now and can double as USB chargers.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:24 AM
That's a valid concern. I'd take a suitable torque wrench and fittings along with you. Have a friend who I've tripped with in a 991 GT3 running CL hubs, and he has made use of this when he had a flat in a small town in NZ.

Unsure if it's available in your region, but road hazard/tyre insurance is a must have if you can get it - I've had a nail through my tyre while driving around the West Coast of the South Island of New Zealand; pulled in to a Beaurepaires tyre shop on an afternoon, and fitted a new tyre the following morning at no cost to me after they flew a replacement in from their warehouse in the North Island.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:57 AM
maverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to allmaverick997 is a name known to all
As a counterpoint, I did a couple of road trips in Texas(@1200 miles) and one up to Branson Missouri for 4 days with lots of day excursions exploring the twisties@(2500 miles)....serviced the car before we left, took couple of quarts of oil...no issues car is a great Gran Tourer...
In your case the only thing I'd add to the oil is the CL adapter stuff. You're running the car every day so unless you have a bad alternator, I don't see any need to trickle charge......
Have a fun and safe trip, nothing better than sharing a 911 road trip with your son....memories for a life time!

Old 07-23-2017, 11:24 AM
twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !twturbo Is a GOD !
Post some pics or vids when you get back sounds like a fun trip

Old 07-23-2017, 06:04 PM
Will do. Looking forward to spending some quality time with my son and enjoy the sites and drive.

Almost pulled the trigger on a drone before the trip to get some Ariel video but there is no time to learn to fly it. I've crashed a few already
Originally Posted by twturbo
Post some pics or vids when you get back sounds like a fun trip

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.